Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Is DRIC support collapsing in Lansing?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/shea

Posted 10/12/2009 10:12 AM EDT on crainsdetroit.com
    Are we witnessing the death knell of the Detroit River International Crossing project?

Gov. Jennifer Granholm told WWJ host Joe Donovan last week that Michigan’s first preference for a new Detroit River crossing is the $1 billion privately funded second span of the Ambassador Bridge, which the Canadians oppose.

“We need another crossing. If Canada, and if Canada would allow Matty Moroun to do it, I think everybody would be in favor of that as the first priority. They are opposed to his bridge. So the question is, is there a joint process that can occur between Michigan and Canada, the U.S. and Canada, that allows for that crossing. So until Canada gives permission, he can’t build a bridge that’s halfway across the river,” she said.

and i thought it would be from the wing nuts in the senate

"I think everybody would be in favor of that as the first priority"

Is she seriously not paying that much attention? There must be a sandbox in Lansing that she keeps her head in.

Manny has already shown that he can not properly maintain one bridge, why let him have two?

It appears that she said that in order to give the reason why they aren't going to deal with the DIBC. That's pretty much been the party line since the DRIC started.

Hopefully Ontario holds out.

Maybe as a condition of allowing him to build his second span they force him to rehab MCS and re-open it from train service?

Ugh. I don't know why she would support this.

I say oppose any new bridge! And transfer ownership of bridge over to an international agency with equal representation from Canada and the US.

Build new rail tunnel as alternative! The past is with inefficient long-distance trucking. The future is with efficient long-distance freight rail.

The new railway tunnel is quietly proceeding...

http://www.windsorstar.com/life/400M...689/story.html