Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Chamberlain Bakery

They still have a website up showing it at 8816 Chamberlain, but the GoogleEarth Street View shot shows a vacant lot where I think it should be.

Anybody remember the place or know what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    They still have a website up showing it at 8816 Chamberlain, but the GoogleEarth Street View shot shows a vacant lot where I think it should be.

Only thing I know is I miss their rye bread. I'm sure they wouldn't have closed if business was good.

http://www.chamberlainbakery.com/history.htm

As of April of 2002, Chamberlain Bakery became a part of Alexander & Hornung, Inc., a half-century old European style sausage and ham company, also in Detroit. Owned and operated by Bernie Polen and Tom Eckert, Chamberlain moves into the new millennium with our priorities in tact. We will endeavor to maintain the authenticity and integrity of our famous breads, while improving consistency and service.
    Bernie and Tom plan new offerings in the near term. We have made our French Rolls available to our wholesale customers. On special order for now, Raisen-Egg Bread Rolls, Pumpernickel Rolls and Sour Dough Rolls are available. Coming soon; A wonderful multi grain bread and we have had excellent success in the early stages of a braided egg bread.

Here's the link for the parent company:

http://www.alexanderhornung.com/
    Last edited by gazhekwe; October-12-09 at 08:51 AM.

I remember A & H; they had a store at Westland Mall decades ago.

This might be incorrect, but I think Chamberlain Bakery may have had a fire. I'm not sure if they are still affiliated with Alexander & Hornung deli's. Sure did love that sour rye bread. There might be a thread regarding Chamberlain in the archives of the old Detroit Yes.

I just looked at street view and it's sitting right where it always has been.

Phone # on the website is disconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    I just looked at street view and it's sitting right where it always has been.
    In my GoogleEarth, there is a Street View camera icon tagged 8816 Chamberlain. Using that, I see vacant lots on both sides of the street, one next to a church. I didn't remember that church next to the bakery so maybe the icon is tagged wrong. I don't have it on this PC, but I'll try to look again later.

In my GoogleEarth, there is a Street View camera icon tagged 8816 Chamberlain. Using that, I see vacant lots on both sides of the street, one next to a church. I didn't remember that church next to the bakery so maybe the icon is tagged wrong. I don't have it on this PC, but I'll try to look again later.
    Look again as it's the brick one story recessed back from the street [[Chamberlain) and I verified the picture from the bakery website.