Greetings. I recently read that every movie made before the mid-nineties is a prime candidate for being remade, because our younger generations have no familiarity with movies made before they were born. That's just a shame, and it's wrong. Which got me thinking about the roadshow movie experience in downtown Detroit, when the big films would open with reserved seat performances, and the theater management had to adhere to the film distributors dictates as to how to "present" the movie: when the house lights were to go down, when the curtain across the screen was to open, when to begin the musical overture, and so on.

My memories of roadshow movies are solid - as far as they go, but there are gaps. If any of you can add to my list of theaters and films, please do. Remember these films must be roadshow presentations, not merely first run.

United Artist - Ben Hur [[1959), Mutiny On the Bounty [[1962), My Fair Lady [[1964), Dr Zhivago [[1965)

Music Hall - This Is Cinerama [[1952), El Cid [[1961), The Sand Pebbles [[1966)

Madison - Spartacus [[1960), West Side Story [[1961), Lawrence of Arabia [[1962), The Sound of Music [[1965), Gone With The Wind - re-release [[1968)

Adams - Gone With The Wind [[1939)

Again, there were plenty of first run, exclusive showings downtown for decades, but roadshows were very special occasions. I recall having to wear a suit coat and tie to go to a matinee of "Lawrence" at the Madison, and every other kid - and his or her parents - were dressed accordingly.

I am confident that I got the theaters and movies correct above, but please help with other possible roadshows from earlier years or later. [[And yes, the Mercury Theater on Schaefer and 6 Mile had a few roadshows or exclusive premieres as well over the years. "Patton" was a roadshow at the Mercury.)

Memories are needed for, "Around the World in 80 Days" a roadshow release, but where did it play in Detroit? How about "South Pacific" where did it have its roadshow engagement? "The Robe" had its world premiere at The Fox, but was it a roadshow presentation? "Anatomy of a Murder" was a world premiere at the UA, but after opening night in July, 1959, was it reserved seating or just an exclusive showing?

Thanks for your comments and help.