Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dumbass Vandals!

Yesterday, when I got to the Miracle League of Michigan field [[a baseball league for special-needs kids that I help run), something felt amiss.

For starters, the parking space next to the one I chose was full of discarded fast-food wrappers. There were clearly pigs around [[as well as geese, but that's another story).

As I approached the field, something felt amiss -- though I couldn't put my finger on it just yet.

Then, I saw it.

First, there were trash cans that had been dumped on their sides. Pigs.

Then, I saw that the new aluminum benches in the dugouts had been turned over -- probably because some f****** scrappers wanted them. But they were too awkward to move, so the f****** left them there.

We'd only had the benches for a couple or three weeks. Same as we've only had the wheelchair-accessible aluminum picnic tables for a couple or three weeks. Same as we've only had the aluminum bleachers for a couple or three weeks.

The tables and bleachers were secured by cables to the backstop and the fences. We won't make the same mistake with the dugout benches.

FYI -- the tables, benches and bleachers were 100 percent paid for by the 50/50 raffles we run at most of the games and by the proceeds from our concession stands. Not a dime comes from the city of Southfield, even though the field is located on city property. All the money that has ever gone to the league -- for construction, improvements or maintenance -- comes from donations or from proceeds from concessions or raffles.

To top it off, the field is located within seconds of the Southfield Police Department. The vandals were very lucky and very stupid.

And they were also the sort of people who would have no problem stealing from an all-volunteer organization that serves disabled kids.

F******!
    Last edited by Vic_doucette; October-11-09 at 04:04 PM.

Ravine Guest

Vic, that sucks, big-time. I'm glad you vented here.

For what it's worth, I put a bug in someone's ear about your difficulties. I'm hoping that you, or the league, will soon hear from somebody willing to assist.

AAH! That's terrible. Why don't you bring this up at the next City Council meeting October 13 and see what comes of that? There's a Wednesday deadline for requesting to address council, but maybe they will make an exception since this happened after the deadline. You have to submit the request to the Clerk's office so maybe they could help you out. Monday the offices will be closed for the "holiday". Request form: http://tinyurl.com/yhnclvv

Vic,

Sorry for your frustration May I ask if you notified the police about what happened? Maybe they can keep a closer eye on the park in the future if they know it's being targeted.
    Last edited by REL; October-11-09 at 08:36 PM.

I've just learned that the benches were tipped over by the company that sold them to us!

I guess they thought -- incorrectly -- that the benches were damaged. They were not.

All's well after all.

Ravine Guest

That's great, Vic, the only thing is, I had a local news source sounding prepared to follow up on a story which I had to humbly report as a false alarm.

Well, what explains all the other things, tipped over garbage cans and garbage all over the parking lot? If these benches were just tipped over, what was the big deal?

I also got the impression there was damage to the bleachers and picnic tables.

Trashcans could have been the wind, I guess. No damage to picnic tables or bleachers. But that still doesn't explain the junk in the parking lot -- or the goose poop!

Well, that sounds like Southfield. It was incredibly windy a couple of days, and there are geese. And the darn kids seem very opposed to having trash in their car with them. I had a fast food bag dumped at the edge of my lawn, opened it up and there was a postcard from the court notifying someone in my neighborhood to appear. I picked that up and took it to their house, knocked on the door, and politely informed the elder who answered that I believe Marcus lost this bag on my lawn. She was mortified. I bet Marcus has not added to the FF litter content on my street again.

Ravine Guest

You're welcome, Vic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Vic, that sucks, big-time. I'm glad you vented here.

For what it's worth, I put a bug in someone's ear about your difficulties. I'm hoping that you, or the league, will soon hear from somebody willing to assist.
    That's great, Vic, the only thing is, I had a local news source sounding prepared to follow up on a story which I had to humbly report as a false alarm.
    You're welcome, Vic.
    Ravine, is your last post [[#11) facetious? Just curious, as it appears Vic_doucette never acknowledged [[or requested ) your efforts.

Ravine Guest

I believe I experienced one of them thar "teachable moments," as President Obama might say.

I believe I experienced one of them thar "teachable moments," as President Obama might say.
    One thing I like about you Ravine, you speak your mind. A helpful quality that can energize conversations. Almost nothing worse than a room full of people all waiting for the next person to speak up. Anyhow, I for one appreciate your inputs on principle, and sometimes I even agree with you .

Ravine Guest

Thank you, Vetalalumni. That was very thoughtful of you, to take a moment to write that note.
    Your moral support is appreciated.
    Sincerely. There is no wisenheimer "other shoe" preparing to drop.

I wish to thank you, Ravine.

I also wish to thank the Academy; my pit crew; Dave, my accountant; the girl at the corner gas station who sells me a Diet Coke every morning; Pinky Lee; Amelia Bedelia; Craigd; Harry Gilmer; and all the little people who made it possible.

Oh, and thanks also to Stevie Wonder for not releasing an album this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post

I also wish to thank the Academy; my pit crew; Dave, my accountant; the girl at the corner gas station who sells me a Diet Coke every morning; Pinky Lee; Amelia Bedelia; Craigd; Harry Gilmer; and all the little people who made it possible.

Good comeback Vic_doucette. I deserved whatever part of that was intended for me. And in the end, glad the field is functioning as intended. That is what really matters for the kids sake.

Ravine Guest

No, Vetal, I don't think you did.

But, from this point forward, the less I say, the better.

Hey, I just found an "h" on the floor. Is anybody missing an "h"?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post

Talk about someone being ungrateful!! You came on here and reported a really heinous case of vandalism, raising everyone's ire, and after an offer of help by Ravine and expressions of sympathy by Gaz, you return to say 'No one did anything. I overreacted. oops, my bad' without so much as a 'Thanks for your help and sympathy'. You complained about the f'ing scrappers and how your group worked very hard to give the special needs kids something special. I think perhaps showing appreciation to those that offered help and understanding might be a valuable concept to present to those children also. When it was mentioned to you, you came back with the bit of sarcasm above. If I were Ravine and Gaz, I'd wait until the second report of a problem in the future rather than jumping right in.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Talk about someone being ungrateful!! You came on here and reported a really heinous case of vandalism, raising everyone's ire, and after an offer of help by Ravine and expressions of sympathy by Gaz, you return to say 'No one did anything. I overreacted. oops, my bad' without so much as a 'Thanks for your help and sympathy'. You complained about the f'ing scrappers and how your group worked very hard to give the special needs kids something special. I think perhaps showing appreciation to those that offered help and understanding might be a valuable concept to present to those children also. When it was mentioned to you, you came back with the bit of sarcasm above. If I were Ravine and Gaz, I'd wait until the second report of a problem in the future rather than jumping right in.
    Vic_doucette, the point being made is that [[your) opening post in this thread drew concern. At least one DYes poster took action, albeit [[literally) unsolicited. Would you rather have had the DYes community simply pat you on the back for your altruistic efforts and shake their heads [[with you) apathetically? What was your purpose for this thread? In response, consider being kind. That would be an appropriate example and lesson you could share with the special-needs kids [[and their parents).

Hey, I just found an "h" on the floor. Is anybody missing an "h"?
    ...*snicker*