Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lorax Guest

Default Property Rights And The Right To Dry

Pardon the pun in the thread title, which has nothing to do with "dying" but everything to do with "drying."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/us...html?th&emc=th

This article in today's NYT is indicative of the kind of changes we can expect that if anything, may lead to a greater tolerance of each other in depressing economic times.

The issue of stringing clotheslines is certainly a property rights issue in neighborhoods, and is becoming one in communal developments such as condominiums and gated communites. Here in Florida it is no longer illegal in most communities to do so, but condo boards are levying fines against those who do.

This is probably one area liberals and libertarians can agree on, however republicans most likely will have a problem with it.

Energy costs are only one of the concerns- the use of dryer sheets, which has proven to be detrimental to health, not to mention ruining your dryer, as well as adding to the heat of a home which does not have air conditioning are further concerns.

Enjoy this article for more than the topic- there is an underlying motif of where our people are asserting themselves in a public way- I like to think of it as velvet revolution against the status quo.

I have a clothesline here in EEV, and the neighbors and board members that I asked about it all gave it a thumbs-up. I'm glad I don't live in one of those uptight McMansion subdivisions with the HOAs from hell.
    This is a mini-movement whose time has come. The argument about property values has been deflated in most of the country, when prices have dropped so much. Doesn't a foreclosed house across the street do a lot more damage to a house's value than a neighbor's clothesline? We're in an economic meltdown at the same time that people are getting more in touch with the environment. Those two issues go together.
    The HOAs who are arguing for local control have a point, to a certain extent, but even they have to abide by bigger laws that are in the public's best interest. I'm sure plenty of them would restrict people of color from moving in if they could get away with it, too. Screw 'em. Let the people have clotheslines and veggie gardens and a compost bin in their yards. While they're at it, some of those "high-value" subdivisions might consider sidewalks too.

Yes, as the end of the article maintains, clothes pins do make good potato chip bag clips!
    Near the end, as my aged father's health was dwindling, I washed his sheets and laundry and hung them out to dry in his back yard. Used some of mom's old clothes pins [[probably thirty years old, or more), but had to purchase new clothes line.
    He smiled when he saw me out there, hanging his clothes, but the real payoff was when we got him into his pajamas and into bed. He grabbed my hand, and told me: "Thank you so much, son. I haven't smelled the outdoors on my sheets since long before mom passed." His smile was precious.
    It seems strange that something as basic as hanging laundry outdoors is so controversial. It was the only way to accomplish the task for centuries!

For many of these communities, it's all about the "cachet" and the "image"; they couldn't command high prices if they didn't maintain an air of wealth and exclusivity.

Hanging laundry is what immigrants and other lower classes do, who can't afford modern amenities like dryers. So it hurts the image, and must not be allowed.

This is just a manifestation of classism, pure and simple.

ccbatson Guest

Dryer sheets are toxic now?

Where have you been, Cc? They've been shown to be toxic for some time.

ccbatson Guest

Not something that I ever followed

Don't bother me none.
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:40 PM.

Me, neither, but you and I grew up in a different era, Ray1936. I think it looks kinda homey.
    It bothers some folks, I guess.

Property rights trump city/township ordinances.

I can't believe that people are bickering about someone hanging their laundry out to dry.

Find something more pressing.

ccbatson Guest

If it is a controlled community like a condominium, then it is part of the rules adopted by the primary owner/developers. If an individual doesn't agree with those rules, then they shouldn't enter the relationship/sign the contract.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Dryer sheets are toxic now?
    About as toxic as your posts, perhaps a little less. They do smell better, though.

Lorax Guest

If it is a controlled community like a condominium, then it is part of the rules adopted by the primary owner/developers. If an individual doesn't agree with those rules, then they shouldn't enter the relationship/sign the contract.
    Agreed.

In my highrise, you certainly can't hang out wash, but even wet swimsuits, towels, bathroom rugs, or even American flags are disallowed.

At home in Michigan, though is another story. I intend to hang out wash in good weather.

cc

just type in your search engine,
    dryer sheet dangers,
    long list of articles.

puruse to our hearts content.
    Also referred to using vinegar instead of fabric softener.

ccbatson Guest

Point being that it is legitimate to restrict certain behavior under mutually agreed upon contracts.

This can be a much bigger issue at times. The house where I grew up was demolished by a guy who anted to put up a MUCH larger house [[12k sq ft [[granite facade) in a subdivision with average 6k brick houses) There is a neighborhood association stipulation in the deed restricting the size [[6750 sq ft), style and materials [[brick)
    he demolished the building and went ahead with plans without checking the guidelines and got shut down by the association. he sued and prevailed. the new house looks monstrous and totally out of place.

6000 sq ft sounds monstrous and out of place.

When I think I grew up happily in a 900 sq. ft. bungalow...

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    6000 sq ft sounds monstrous and out of place.
    it is. I hated that place

ccbatson Guest

Poor Rb...forced to live in a house that was too large for his communist ideals.

Lorax Guest

Poor Rb...forced to live in a house that was too large for his communist ideals.
    You have no problem living up to your corporate fascist ideals by living in a mausoleum, being a rich "doctor" and all.

Do you live in one to impress your much poorer family and friends? Your neighbors?

He said the house he grew up in was demolished for the larger house. You need to take a reading comprehension refresher coarse.

When we first moved out to "the country," a friend of ours from the city came by to borrow something. He & my husband were strolling through the yard and he remarked, "The air here is so fragrant, it smells just like fabric softener!" I did not hear him say this - as I was in the house doing laundry - but my husband told me later how he casually nodded and said, "That's why Downy named it April Fresh." He did NOT point out the air blowing from the dryer vent. LMAO

I love being able to hang out clothes and towels... the right level of breeze precludes the need for artificial softeners, plus helps pulls out wrinkles. Everything really does smell fresher than if machine dried [[which I now am back to due to the season change, bah).

My mother hung out the laundry in the dead of winter. Dried like a champ.
    It is challenging in the spring and fall, however, as the weather is so changable. Rain doesn't help the clothes dry very well.

There are always indoor drying racks:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3744351

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast