Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pepperoni rolls?

I few days ago, I read a NYT article about the popularity of pepperoni rolls in West Virginia. Seems that there's a sizable Italian-American community of coal miners there, and they have a tradition of munching on rolls with pepperoni baked inside them.

Does anybody around Metro Detroit sell such goodies? Where are the best ones?

Last edited by Meddle; October-10-09 at 07:31 AM.

Dearborn Italian Bakery on Ford Road - they've had them for at least 10 years..they're nothing new.

I second BOTH...although I haven't graced Roma's door in twenty-five years, they were a good portion of my youth...DIB took it from there.

I cannot get within a few miles of DIB without being drawn in for a few slices, a few rolls [[with cheese), and one of their amazing chocolate dessert thingies...cannot remember what they call 'em.

Need caffeine...

Giovanni Bakery on Harper near 13 mile rd. has pepperoni rolls and bread.

Julian Bros. Bakery on Rochester Rd. south of 14 Mile makes great ones. On the other side of town, the Picnic Basket Market on Ann Arbor Rd at Ridge has a slightly different type that are equally good. When I was a kid we used to get them up at Tringali's on Kelly Rd, so the new location on Schoenherr probably has them too.

Nino's in Walled Lake, formerly of Schoolcraft in the Grandmont area makes good ones but you have to call first to make sure they have things or are open lately.

Liberati's on Allen Road in Allen Park. With or without cheese. They're so good they usually run out by 1pm.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Nino's in Walled Lake, formerly of Schoolcraft in the Grandmont area makes good ones but you have to call first to make sure they have things or are open lately.
    Friends and I spent an awful lot of money at Nino's on the pepperoni rolls in the 70s when it was on Schoolcraft. "Mr. Nino" was always making those things and we ate them like candy. Afterschool we'd go to Harpers and Nino's daily. Ringlers, not so much [[it was for the "adults" - lol). Ahhh, memories.

I'm munching on a Julian Brothers Pepperoni roll right now. Dang is it huge! But very good.

Julian Bros. will be my next stop, then. Tried DIB at the suggestion of a Miracle League of Michigan colleague yesterday and thought it was quite good.

There is a bakery in Dearborn Heights on Van Born east of Telegraph. Can not remeber the name right now. Great pepperoni bread.

Growing up in Garden City, I grew up eating Villa Bakery pizza rolls. Every 2 weeks I buy some on payday. Liked the ones also from the Capri Bakery on Greenfield. Had never heard about the WVA mining connection, But makes sense.

ronaldj, Are you thinking about Roberto's?

Just what my gut needs.....an italian hot-pocket.

roberto's would be the one.
    Last edited by ronaldj; October-14-09 at 05:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Never got them at a bakery, but when I was at U of M-Dearborn between 78 and 82 they used to have pizza bread [[that's what they called them) sales to raise money for various things. I remember eating many of them back then. Haevn't seen one since.

Baffo's on Fort Street [[west side) just north of Sibley in Riverview.

I have only had Baffos Pizza Rolls from 7/11. Have never had them fresh baked.