Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 30 Clifford burned for "Red Dawn"

I recall a thread about someone wanting to renovate this building. Fat chance now, as it has been blown up for "Red Dawn". I'm OK with films burning and then demolishing structures that are already rightfully on the demo list, but was this structure one of them? I take the stance that a sealed building banks it for future use and is superior to a vacant lot, which this will now be. I welcome the film industry -- I sometimes work for it -- but further destroying my city is not OK. Was 30 Clifford beyond repair? The CBD and Midtown especially should have infill, infill, infill. This is happenig North of MLK and in Brush Park, but between there and the river it's thinning considerably faster than it's filling.

You sure that's what happened? And you're talking about that small, triangular-shaped building, right?

I'm not sure of anything. The explosion comes from the front, it could have been rigged in such a way as to spare the building. So it's *possible* that the building has not been destroyed, but perhaps someone else knows better than I do.

That guy standing on the sidewalk looked surprised.

those filmakers don't give a shit about detroit. they'll just shit all over detroit.

as soon as the tax breaks and incentives are gone, so too will the filmakers be gone.

unless somehow, before then, we establish a permanent base here. with studios, film schools, etc etc.... don't expect the film "boom" to last long.

Chill out, the building is still there. Go look for yourself. They built a new facade on it, then blew that off.

That was a big damn bang. I know it's "only" Detroit, but should we really be allowing Hollywood folks to create enormous explosions and damage buildings right in the middle of our city just for a shot in a movie? Are we really that degraded that we can just let them treat us like part of their own back lot? One they can blow up, and then just board up and leave as someone else's problem.

Also, how are they remaking Red Dawn? Wasn't that a movie about good ol' Amurrican kids fighting off the dastardly Soviets? Ummmm, has someone missed a key part of actual, non-Hollywood, world history?

Although you're right that filmmakers are here only for the refund, it still benefits Detroit greatly even if they take off after incentives are cut. My problem is if they leave the landscape worse off.

Even if key production crew are from out of state, the production budgets are largely being spent in metro Detroit. It is my view that even with the 42% back that it's still a big net gain for Detroit in particular, since the entire state pays back what is spent mostly in and around Detroit. Even if we payed all of it back here, 58% of a production budget is a substantial amount for hotels, restaurants, caterers, grips, electrical, transportation, security, police, city permitting, temporary office space, and even tourist dollars. In the long run, if any of the films are good, it brings publicity as well.

And opportunity. As a result of my work on one of the films, I've traveled to LA twice and have made connections there that my friends who moved there have been unable to. This isn't because I'm the most amazing person in the universe, but because Detroit is such a small pond and it's much easier to work up the production ladder here than LA.

I just don't want them wrecking our shit.

That's what I want to know Diehard. That building should be destined for something better than just to go boom.

Don't sell yourself short, Joe!

Your kinda inspiration is sorely lacking in those I've met within the relatively inbred Hollywood community.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That was a big damn bang. I know it's "only" Detroit, but should we really be allowing Hollywood folks to create enormous explosions and damage buildings right in the middle of our city just for a shot in a movie? Are we really that degraded that we can just let them treat us like part of their own back lot? One they can blow up, and then just board up and leave as someone else's problem.
    I don't think the building itself was damaged. It was empty, so they're leaving it in the same shape they found it. I'm not sure what more you'd expect of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    I don't think the building itself was damaged. It was empty, so they're leaving it in the same shape they found it. I'm not sure what more you'd expect of them?
    Go blow up their own damn building? In their own damn city?

But then the city fathers and mothers in L.A. probably aren't as understanding about someone setting off huge frigging explosions right in the middle of their city.

But then the city fathers and mothers in L.A. probably aren't as understanding about someone setting off huge frigging explosions right in the middle of their city.
    That's because "the middle of their city" isn't an apocalyptic ghost town.

Also, how are they remaking Red Dawn? Wasn't that a movie about good ol' Amurrican kids fighting off the dastardly Soviets? Ummmm, has someone missed a key part of actual, non-Hollywood, world history?
    That's easy, the invaders now are the Chinese.

It's the same thing for any other book, video game or movie now. Where the enemy would've been Russia before, just insert the Chinese.

The building looks better than before. I just hope the guy who slept in the doorway found a better place to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
    That's easy, the invaders now are the Chinese.

It's the same thing for any other book, video game or movie now. Where the enemy would've been Russia before, just insert the Chinese.
    That's hilarious. They're our largest damn trading partner. Why would they invade us? A slump in sales at Wal-Mart?

They use fire cannons which simulate an explosion. Sometimes they can damage a building by leaving smoke around or near openings where they were fired. I'm assuming this filming was a typical use of these devices. I'm not sure why people are getting bent out of shape on it.
    Last edited by wolverine; October-10-09 at 12:08 AM.

That's hilarious. They're our largest damn trading partner. Why would they invade us?
    The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they're already in the process of a silent invasion and takeover. They own a large amount of real estate and are heavily invested in banks and other financial institutions. At some point in the not too distant future, they will have controlling interest in much of what makes the world go 'round.

There are a lot of people here who don't know much about filmmaking. This is typical practice. They use fire cannons which blow fireballs through rigged glass & eject debris and smoldering ashes. They removed the front of the building which means they have to replace it too. Chances are after the crews are finished the building will look better than before.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    They use fire cannons which simulate an explosion. Sometimes they can damage a building by leaving smoke around or near openings where they were fired. I'm assuming this filming was a typical use of these devices. I'm not sure why people are getting bent out of shape on it.
    People are getting bent out of shape because they are ignorant and don't bother to look at the facts. What do you expect around here anymore?

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    On a semi related note, does anyone know if the tags on the fake Tuffy on Woodward are for the movie, or an act of nighttime vandalism of an unprotected set?

The graffiti tags say "Wolverine"....

That's hilarious. They're our largest damn trading partner. Why would they invade us? A slump in sales at Wal-Mart?
    Spoken like a myopic capitalist apologist who never studied anything else. What if WE destroy our own marketplace...what value would we have then?!

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they're already in the process of a silent invasion and takeover. They own a large amount of real estate and are heavily invested in banks and other financial institutions. At some point in the not too distant future, they will have controlling interest in much of what makes the world go 'round.

I haven't said it for years here, but the Chinese have never renounced their five-hundred year plan for world domination. Only a Communist could view labor as a weapon, and they've largely taken our capabilities away. Well, we GAVE them our manufacturing ability.

It is only a matter of time...but does anyone else realize that we're vaguely in the same scenario outlined in 1947 by George Orwell? Three major world powers, always at war with each other...but forming occasional alliances against the one that is winning?!

Jeez, you people bitch that our state needs to think outside the box to create jobs and commerce, then the one thing they got right [[film incentive), you guys complain.

Any buildings used in movies will be left in as good or better condition than what they were before the shoot. Have a shot and cool out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Spoken like a myopic capitalist apologist who never studied anything else.
    It may have been spoken like one in your view, but I am certainly far, very far, from that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast