Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

‘Humbled’ Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
    Committee says president gives world’s people ‘hope for a better future’

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33237202...ouse?GT1=43001

Evidently the Nobel Peace Prize is given to people who have zero accomplishments in foreign policy and world peace, and just promise hope.
    Peace prize......Barack Obama......tell that to the caskets coming home from Afghanistan.

[[/sarcasm on)
    I'm sure the families will agree that in today's world, no one has done more to promote peace than Barack Obama
    [[/sarcasm off)

Even Democrats have to agree that at this point the Nobel Peace Prize is cheapened and handed out based on politics rather then accomplishments.

Even Democrats have to agree that at this point the Nobel Peace Prize is cheapened and handed out based on politics rather then accomplishments.
    The peace prize has always been about politics, and several people have won it based on what they stand for rather than what they have done.

do i think Obama deserves it? no.

am I glad he got it? yes. it is good for our country, and it will give fits to the wingnuts

One the one hand- I think it is premature and he hasn't done enough yet. On the other hand- if Henry Kissinger can win one, then why not Obama.

Quote: "he hasn't done enough yet."

Where is the "it's only been 3 months" crowd at? Don't expect much out of this guy in the next few years. He is too inexperienced and weak as a leader. I'm judging him for his performance thus far. Dismal, in the face of the issues that face us all.

I hope he proves me wrong.

Anyone somewhat surprised that the cutoff for Nobel nominations was FEBRUARY 1, 2009 less than TWO weeks after the President took office?

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post

Where is the "it's only been 3 months" crowd at? Don't expect much out of this guy in the next few years. He is too inexperienced and weak as a leader. I'm judging him for his performance thus far. Dismal, in the face of the issues that face us all.

I meant he hasn't done enough for peace yet, since we are still involved in 2 wars. He has done better on some of the other issues.

I have to laugh at some of you people....

First you complain that he couldn't deliver [[the Olympics) in Copenhagen...

And now you complain that he CAN deliver in [[Oslo/Stockholm)...

I don't look at this so much as Obama's accomplishments... I look at this as a prize for America in general... that we finally got over 8 years of war mongering and windmill tilting of the Bush/Cheney team... and came to our collective senses... and getting America back on track in world stature and representing freedom and social justice. They may have awarded it to him because he's getting America back on the right track...

Also... I think the award was a well deserved Schadenfreude for the Freedom Fries crowd!

"President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in a stunning decision designed to build momentum behind his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism."

Does this reasoning cheapen the Nobel Prize????
    Last edited by Gistok; October-09-09 at 02:35 PM.

Ease tensions in the Muslim world?
    By sending thousands of troops to Afghanistan?
    By blowing off the Palestine/Israel issue?

Reduce nuclear arms?
    By nuking the moon for water?

Whatever. The Nobel Peace Prize means nothing anymore. Gore got it and then he dropped off the face of the planet with his millions and the 3rd world is still billowing out pollution like there's no tomorrow. Now Obama got it on speeches as we wage war around the world.

As the international community sees this as a positive thing, most of us know it's just politics and hype. The prize is more coveted by people who earn it, like Gahndi.

Obama took office less than 10 days before the Feb. 1 deadline for Nobel Prize nominations.
    Award was given for his speeches, not actions

http://www.slate.com/id/2231909/?GT1=38001

The right will be in an uproar over this, which will just make them look like a bunch of whiners and give them talk show materials for the next week. The left will cristen this as a great achievement. The rest of us will just nod it off as politics as usual. Nothing to see here, just a brief chat about it and move on

It is the only the third time a standing president received this award...

Maybe it is for what he hasn't done as much as what he has done.

He hasn't rushed to war with Iran to appease the neocons. He has helped cool off the potential for war between India and Pakistan. He sent an Olive branch to the millions of Muslims and walked the walk in Africa... He hasn't given Israel their blank check, told them to stop illegal settlements and put BIBI and the racist foreign minister on check... [[ who by the way yesterday stated that we would all have to get used to no peace for the foreseeable future).. He told Egypt to get their act together. He has cooled off the rhetoric between Russia and US. Hasn'T backed off Iran, but is bringing in the world on this matter. Yes he hasn't done much yet [[first year thingy) ...but at least we haven't started another hot war, and has delivered a message of tough love to the world.

maybe it was the recognition that he is trying to undo decades of arrogance that caught the eyes of the Nobel committee...but I see the usual haters lined up..the same folks that say the UN is useless and peace is for p----ies.

Hey Steelers, you know where I can get some decent jorts? The stores up here don't sell them any more. It's all winter stuff now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Anyone somewhat surprised that the cutoff for Nobel nominations was FEBRUARY 1, 2009 less than TWO weeks after the President took office?
    Do we know how many people got nominated? IF many were nominated... and IF the decision process happened only relatively recently, it would render you point moot... otherwise I would agree that you have a valid criticism.

I just put together a symposium on social justice that was received warmly...we had four tracks..spirituality [[Judaism's healing of a fractured world was the theme, Christianity on the value of the human life and Islam and social services for the poor)...we had a track on health care disparities, we had a track on Social justice in action and it was highlighted with a look at Iran and their revolution using technology, and a track on how to bridge the gaps between cultures and people...where social agencies, business leaders and people of faith sat down to talk and find the common ground/

The unique thing was a call by the community leaders to adapt the Social Justice Philosophy to value all humans as equals, to look at the human costs of conflicts [[Israel and PAlestinians as on example) and to stop building silos where one each segment of community only sees their issues and not related to our ONE community. 120 community leaders from faith based organizations, business, academia and social services coming together for a common goal..our children's future..what a model for other cities...one thing is you had to put bias and closed minds aside..to really participate..we are forming working groups of the above to address these issues in our spheres of influence with the support of each other..better than one group trying to go it alone..

my point is instead of yelling at each other behind signs on a street..we should be working on issues that find common ground.. Social Justice models [[ with a little tweaking) is a good start- for valuing each other is a good foundation.
    Last edited by gibran; October-09-09 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post

Let's see -- stopped the economic freefall - check
    turned around US foreign policy - check
    health care - work in progress
    afghanistan - w.i.p
    gitmo - w.i.p

a heluvalot more than dubya, or clinton, or bush 41 or reagan or carter did in their first 9 months

The rest of us will just nod it off as politics as usual.
    Which is an excellent reason to launch a whole new thread about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if this award were intended more as a statement against George W. Bush than for Barack Obama. There's no doubt that the world breathed a sigh of relief when "Bush the Reckless" departed.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-01-09 at 05:20 PM.

I like the analogy you all put forth...maybe it's because of the attention to hope put forth..sometimes it's the opening volley he put out there that caught attention of the peace committee. Rb you are correct...we are are a results oriented society with as much patience as a knat, he at least set up a difficult and controversial agenda...

but what if he did bring peace to Israel with Iran et al...by addressing the elephants in the room...what if he opened the debate for health care and the result was less people dying and change in insurance practices as a compromise? What if he enforced environmental justice as well as social justice...and only succeed marginally...wouldn't that be better than nothing at all? So you guys are right on target with your understanding of how this ties into a peace prize for our country and it's refreshing new leadership..if he is half-way successful it is a step in the right direction...of course this is where the...responses turn to free market correctness...and silo builders...

I think the award is absurd -- he was short-listed in MARCH. I've seen the names of some alleged nominees [[the names are kept secret for 50 years) and some of the organizations were very worthy. I think this is more of a slap at the utter disaster that was the Bush admin. perhaps it was really meant for we voters. I like that idea, 'cause now i'm a Nobel Laureate!

Barack Obama's Nobel prize: why now?
    The reality is that the prize appears to have been awarded to Barack Obama for what he is not. For not being George W Bush. Or rather being less like the last president.
    Obama Awarded Nobel Peace Prize for Not Being George Bush
    The Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded this year's Nobel Peace Prize to U.S. President Barack Obama, citing "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," as well as his "work for a world without nuclear weapons."

However, it is rumored that the official citation, when held up to a light, actually
    1. Commends Obama for not being George W. Bush
    2. Commends the American people for rejecting the presidential candidate who, in the most important decision of his life, chose Sarah Palin to be his vice-presidential running mate
    3. Commends Obama for pledging to engage in the sort of global diplomacy that was considered the norm for presidents of both parties before the presidency of George W. Bush
    4. Expresses the hope that the award will make Obama feel guilty enough to turn his fine words into action.
    Maybe Obama owes Bush a thank you note.

Quote: "Hey Steelers, you know where I can get some decent jorts?"

I doubt that is Steelers/CraigD, unless he's been taking smart pills or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    Ease tensions in the Muslim world?
    By sending thousands of troops to Afghanistan?
    By blowing off the Palestine/Israel issue?

Reduce nuclear arms?
    By nuking the moon for water?
    With the exception of "nuking the moon for water", which is a bit of a distortion of fact, our current president is pretty much doing what was done by his predecessor.

Why the sudden outrage, your right wing shows telling you to fake it?

I'm not sure how I feel about the award, but I'm really interested in how the wingnuts will spin the part about him donating the money to charity. They MUST find a way to present that as evil. Because everything Obama does is evil. And he wasn't even born here. Grrrr. Scowl.

ccbatson Guest

Whatever limited credibility they had left [[very little) is now completely gone. What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Whatever limited credibility they had left [[very little) is now completely gone. What a joke.
    Still sore that Jimmy Carter and Al Gore got one, eh??

Yeah those prizes in Medicine, Physics et al... are a joke alright... If you're a professor, they look horrible on your resume....

Maybe they should give one out in Intelligent Design?

The right wing radicals have their talk show fodder for at least the next week now.

BTW, I support anything that causes those clowns to froth at the mouth, get their panties in a bunch, and cause general discomfort to their pathetic lives.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Let's see -- stopped the economic freefall - check
    turned around US foreign policy - check
    health care - work in progress
    afghanistan - w.i.p
    gitmo - w.i.p

a heluvalot more than dubya, or clinton, or bush 41 or reagan or carter did in their first 9 months

You're right rb. Obama had a very busy first 12 days [[vote taken Feb. 1).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast