Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ralph Bunche and Barack Obama

President Obama's winning the Nobel Peace Prize today reminds us
    that there is no historical marker to commemorate the only Detroit
    native and first the African-American to win the Nobel Peace Prize.
    Bunche was born in Detroit and his family lived for a few year in
    an apartment near the intersection of Porter and Junction. Does
    anyone know which building was his residence before he moved
    to Oklahoma and California? It is interesting to note that the
    Nobel Prize committee cited President Obama for his outreach to
    Islamic world while Bunche won his prize for helping to end the
    first war between Isreal and their Islamic neighbors. It would
    be nice to see an historic marker erected at Junction and Porter.

Altho' I'm proud of our President winning such a prestigious award, I believe it's premature. Nothing has been achieved yet by his Administration's foreign policy. I guess the mere removal of the Bush Administration is reason enough for those who made the decision to award the Nobel Peace Prize to Obama.

jeeze, renf, if you're going to bitch about something you should really do a little research:

http://www.michmarkers.com/Frameset.htm

wording on the Michigan Historical Marker:
    Birthplace of Dr. Ralph J. BuncheUndersecretary-General of the United Nations for the last sixteen years of his life, Ralph Bunche, grandson of a slave, was born in this neighborhood of Detroit on August 7, 1904, and lived here for the first decade of his life. Following the death of his parents in 1915, he spent the rest of his childhood in the West. After a brilliant career in political science at Harvard, Bunche collaborated in the late 1930s with Gunnar Myrdal in his monumental study of racism in America. Entering government service during World War II, he joined the State Department and was active in drafting the charter of the United Nations. Bunche's success as a UN mediator after the Arab-Israeli war of 1948 won for him the Nobel Peace Prize in 1950. He died in New York on December 9, 1971.

The marker can be found at: 5668 Anthon St. detroit ... it was erected in 1972

"...Nothing has been achieved yet by his Administration's foreign policy..."

True. The term has just begun, and Obama will, and should, be judged by results. I am taking a wait and see attitude. Unlike many others, I do not wish the President to fail. I hope he succeeds, for the sake of our country, and for those unfortunate souls around the world who are suffering the results of wars that could be prevented. Do not forget that thousands here suffered the same on September 11, 2001.
    On another president's watch.

That critique that he has done nothing and doesn't deserve the prize yet is not correct. The prize, in part, is for changing the tone of international discussions and making diplomacy and negotiation the first options in any engagement. That, he has done. The world is already a better place just for the change in tone. There will always be holdouts but their ranting will have less and less credibility if we are able to continue on this path.

Another criticism, why isn't the award for the American people, or the US for electing Barack Obama. If we elected him, aren't we the ones who accomplished this change? Well, why would anyone think an award for our President ISN'T for us as a nation?

From Gnome's link:

Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.
    Well, no wonder Ren missed it.

They probably tore down the building it was on, or maybe a scrapper took it. That looks like an interesting spot, maybe worth a trip to see what's up.

Ralph Bunche did a LOT, forging the United Nations in San Francisco-achieving a profound peace in the Middle East when it could've slid into a very dangerous war...all from visibly humble beginnings to the members of this board. Dr. King Based on the Nobel Committee's own schedule-their nominations ended on February 1st, which would have put Obama in office only 2 weeks. I was amazed @ the disgust in British man-onthe-street interviews CNN was broadcasting. CNN! This is, at the very least, downright patronizing;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6867711.ece

and I think, based on his awkward remarks this morning, Obama himself can't help but realize that. I hope it's not a sideshow to what the President needs to get done

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=1740

I remember the marker for Ralph Bunche's birthplace. It was on the front of a supermarket on Fort St. and Campbell, a block west of Junction. Although, if I'm correct, the actual birthplace had stood on the street behind the market, Anthon St. The supermarket was eventually abandoned and the marker disappeared not long after. The store building has been gone for awhile now, but the last time I drove by there the frame for the store's sign [[not the Ralph Bunche plaque) was still standing out by the sidewalk on Fort.

It really is a shame, and indicative of the way we treat our history around here. Ralph Bunche was a truly great American and world citizen, and Detroit should be very proud of the fact that he was born here. Look him up!!

This really shouldn't be a thread about Obama's winning of the prize, and whether or not he deserved it. That's pretty tiresome and has little or nothing to do with Detroit. Instead it should be a thread about recalling and recognizing Ralph Bunche and reclaiming his rightful place of honor here in his birthplace. At least enough to get his damn plaque back up!

Worked for a company at Fort and Campbell. Owner indicated that the Ralph Bunche plaque was on a closed grocery store on Anthon. He wanted to add it to his building. The plaque was gone.

Spouse and I did some research. The plaque is gone. Disappeared. Brass scrappers probably got it and melted it down. Michigan Historic has no current record of it. No current way to determine its whereabouts.

Why has not the Michigan Historic replaced it? When it is bought, insurance is covered. Nothing has happened to replace it.

Junction and Porter run parellel to each other.

Junction and Porter intersect a couple of blocks north of 75.

I used to shop in the ghetto grocery store that the marker was on. I remember chuckling about him being "born in a supermarket". What EastsideAl and RonaldJ said about it disappearing is true. I also remember seeing the bare spot on the wall by the door of the empty store where it used to be.

Unfortunately many of the homesites/birthplaces of Detroit's early black residents who went on to achieve significant things [[such as Ralph Bunche) have been torn down over the years and are now memorialized only by historic markers.

There are, however, still many sites well worth visiting. Elmwood Cemetary holds the graves of many of Detroit's early elite black families. Also resting there are the remains of many of the soldiers of the 102nd Regiment United States Colored Troops who served during the Civil War.

Still standing home sites of more current noted black Detroiters can be found throughout the Boston/Edison, Arden Park/East Boston, and Lafayette Park neighborhoods.

Hey people don't forget eastside markers. Dr Ossian Sweet's house is still standing and the historic marker is there. Corner of Garland and Charlevoix.

Here is the story I heard about the Ralph Bunche marker. I know it was on a crappy little party store and yes you could see the outline of where it was. The city thought it was a city owned derelict property and was ready to demolish it. The marker was removed first. Turns out someone did own the building and stopped the demolition. The marker has been gone since.

It bothered me so I called Lansing SHPO offices and talked to Laura Ashley. The state did not have it in storage. I called the DIA, the Detroit Historical Museum and the Charles Wright African American Museum. No one has it.

Here is my take. Historical markers are expensive. They are always privately paid for but become state property when installed. Why hasn't the state replaced it? They know it is gone.

I am a member of the Village of Fairview Historical Society. We are working with others to install a historic marker on East Jefferson to commemorate the horse tracks in the area. In particular, Issac Murphy, a black jockey who was the highest paid athlete of his era in the USA and Europe.

We are hoping to install it on the Jefferson Post Office near Connor. That way if some SOB scrapper steals it, it becomes a federal crime.. Also hope to work on a plaque for Mack Park, home of the Negro Baseball League.

We are not a black organization. The founding members were Italian, Polish and German. We are however dedicated to our eastside history and African Americans played a significant role on our eastside.

What does it say that Dr. Bunche's homes in Queens & D.C.-both "troubled" areas, have their are in immaculate shape...while in South Central L.A. no less than the wealthy Irish-American mayor donates his own money, THEN rolls up his sleeves, dons a hardhat & helps restore Dr. Bunche's childhood home to museum quality where future generations can enjoy it[[can you see Kwame doing that? no?);
    http://articles.latimes.com/1999/mar/12/local/me-16645

http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.c...nche-home.html

but meanwhile in Detroit, they steal the historical plaque marking his birthplace off a grocery store?