Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Brush Detroit!

Default Brush Detroit!

After seeing the images of the poor and needy at Cobo Center the other day, I really want to help out! Im starting a campaign called "Brush Detroit" where we would collect [[Brand New) toothpaste and toothbrushes at my high school and church. Does anyone here work for an homeless shelter or charity that is in High Priority of toothpaste and toothbrushes ?

Thanks in advance!

I admire your spirit! Unfortunately, I do not have any information to give you. I simply want to commemorate your efforts. Keep up the good work!

Oh... don't let Crawford see this, he'll bash it to death!

Haha yeah. I thought I would get more input than this...

Really, I think it's pretty nice that you care enough to try to do something. It's more than most of the rest of us do.

Be careful to avoid that cheap Chinese toothpaste. It contains "diethylene glycol, a sweet, syrupy poison."
    The [F.D.A.] said toothpaste containing diethylene glycol was sold under the names Cooldent Fluoride, Cooldent Spearmint, Cooldent ICE, Dr. Cool, Superdent, Clean Rite, Oralmax Extreme, Oral Bright, Bright Max, and ShiR Fresh Mint.

I know that St. Aloysius puts together hygiene kits and they always need toothbrushes/toothpaste, shaving kits, deodorant, soap etc. Alternatives for Girls and Covenant House have street outreach teams that, I believe, also give out hygiene kits.

Keeping with the "brush" theme: In my experience there is always a need for haircare products, especially hair dye, relaxers, good conditioners, at women's transitional housing. There would probably be an equally huge demand for hair dressers.
    A lot of women who get out of prison feel like getting their hair to look nice is an important way to feel like they belong in the outside world.

Do you have a phone number or email address I could contact St. Aloysius with?

144 Individually Wrapped Toothbrushes $6.99 plus $2.95 S&H

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...id=0&t=1600245

The churches, the Salvation Army, the social services organizations like the NSO all hand out toothbrushes every week, and in some cases on demand as well. You'll find the unused brushes littering the blocks surrounding these places because the homeless are up to their yellowed eyes in tooth care products. Whether they have the sense to use them is another thing, but they have an ample supply.

The last thing the people on the street need is more toothbrushes.

Would collecting NEW blankets be a better idea?

Instead of just guessing, why don't you contact a few of the organizations devoted to helping the homeless and indigent and ask them what things they are in greatest need of.

Sweet thought. I almost didn't open the thread because it just sounded like more Detroit bashing. I think I would contact Detroit area churches. The economy is poor and even 311 calls suggest contacting churches for family needs. Our church recently had a forum on the churches role in helping the homeless. On further thought there are area churches that provide shelter on a rotating basis. Sorry I don't know the name but if you are really serious I could find out. Best thing would be to target the working poor. Bridge cards provide for food but no hygiene products. Too many young folk don't understand service to community. I applaud you!

It's a great idea. I think a bit of research ahead of time would help target what is needed the most, as Lonyo exit suggests. I wouldn't be all that interested in toothcare products, except maybe toothpicks, but other hygiene products, warm clothes or blankets, ready to eat food kits... I really think you have a great idea and would like to see you follow it through.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Sweet thought. I almost didn't open the thread because it just sounded like more Detroit bashing. I think I would contact Detroit area churches. The economy is poor and even 311 calls suggest contacting churches for family needs. Our church recently had a forum on the churches role in helping the homeless. On further thought there are area churches that provide shelter on a rotating basis. Sorry I don't know the name but if you are really serious I could find out. Best thing would be to target the working poor. Bridge cards provide for food but no hygiene products. Too many young folk don't understand service to community. I applaud you!
    The name of the rotating shelter organization is MCREST. Here's their website: http://www.mcrest.org/ where you can find contact information.

I'm not sure where you are located, but I know the Trinity Lutheran church on Van Dyke and Hall Rd [[M59) is one of the MCREST churches and they also provide at least one meal every day.

And I also applaud you for trying to help and make a difference in the lives of those less fortunate than yourself.

You could also try Project Helping Hands at 313-833-7270. They're in the Cass Corridor.