Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default WWJ Newsradio 95

I don't know how popular WWJ 950 is among us Detroiters [[Newsradio 780 WBBM in Chicago is an institution), but found this on Youtube and thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwwxUnI_hBQ

...I decided it wasn't important enough to be in the "Discuss" section.

WWJ was sure popular in MY house when I was growing up!!!! My grandfather listened to it 24 / 7.

Of course, when I grew up and started commuting to work, I relied on "traffic and weather on the eights." But as soon as the traffic report was over I'd switch back over to music. [[One notable exception was the Sonny Elliot weather report. Listening to his forecasts, I sure heard a lot of jokes but he had me laughing so much that I'd be at the end of his "show" before I'd realize I wasn't really paying attention to what - if anything - he actually said about what the weather was going to do! [[Not that it mattered because NO ONE in Michigan can ever figure out what the weather is going to do). Even from here in Arizona I've occasionally tuned into his show on the Web to get a fix of his tales of "storms moving over the area as slowly has helicopters over a nudist colony" and "making driving as hazardous as tap dancing in a canoe" while the anchorman from Enga-ring-a-ding-a-ding-a-dine discovered a new way to cure his sore throat by rubbing it with alcohol from the inside. I also remember WAAAY back when he was still on television with a chalkboard and used to make up words like "HOMID" to describe a hot and humid day, or "FRIZZLY" for an evening that was going to be freezing and drizzly. And of course, exactly from which corner to which corner of Tiger Stadium the wind would be blowing at game time).