Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Our governor

ziggyselbin Guest

Default Our governor

Is possibly the worst in history; and I am a democrat. Does anyone remember the receiver appointed to Highland Park by Gov Engler? By all accounts she was doing a good job, In fact the Wayne co Sheriff dept was patrolling HP with very good results. Granholm fires her for this sleazeball

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/910079983

The people of Wayne coounty should remember this and hopefully have little respect for the most ineffective governor ever.

I've got a lot of criticism for Granholm, but the governor that Michigan had before her was much worse.

Hey, but she is STILL the most photogenic of all the McNamara gang of thugs...gotta give her that.

I was driving tonight with a friend's niece in the back...an older and very wise black woman...and I barely heard the lead-in to WDET's news story on this when she said under her breath, "Just like his daddy".

I almost gut-laughed off the road!

I think someone should go back through the web of endorsements for candidates over the past thirty years in Wayne County, I'd bet we could find a clear connection of corruption to those who've ever been on the side of McNamara.

Thug and the Wannabees. Exacerbating the ruination of a great city [[and county) for more than thirty years!

Worst in a crisis in history, for sure. Not sure the mentioned offense rates very high, though. How about failure to recognize a crisis, failure to rightsize government, govt. employees, govt. employee benefits, failure to take on the unions, the list goes on in a state hemorrhaging residents and businesses. How about blowing a once in a lifetime federal cash infusion [[stimulus $) balancing the bloated budget without taking on any of the aforementioned or considering any pro-business stimulating tax cuts to make this undesireable-to-do-business-in state competitive in the least?

How about thinking out of the box? How about considering getting rid of the U.P. to a state [[WI) that could better manage and afford it? I suspect that Arizona has already considered making or made an offer.

How about anything but the same ol', same ol'? Hey I love Michigan and all but it's not sustainable as is nor will it be in the future when everyone leaves behind their children, when they can sell their house to some teachers or state employees. Let's face it, Detroit has simply been ahead of the curve by turning out the lights before the residents leave.

Yeah, this is a rant but Granholm's been horrible and has the lifetime state dependent credentials that old school democrats accept. I don't. Fire away or don't. Granholm's been treated with kid gloves on this board forever, or two terms at least.

She should have stayed in the kitchen and made biscuits.

Granholm's been treated with kid gloves on this board forever
    Are we reading the same board? She gets bashed on here on a regular basis.

The reason we have Granholm as Governor is a real inside baseball tale. Republicans put her in office. believe it or not here is a Short Version:

There is no primary election for Attorney General. Party Caucus only. A caucus is a convention hall filled with Party loyalists supporting their favorites. The reality is a shouting match between groups. Which group is louder, and bigger, wins.

At the Republican Convention in Grand Rapids, the front runner was long-time favorite son, Scott Romney. Dark horse John Smenkta [[sp). Former federal attorney for Western Michigan. Darling of the Right-to-Life crowd and most importantly: Dutch.

Just before the floor vote for Attorney General. The side doors to the Convention Hall burst open and a crowd of several hundred people pour into the once calm Convention Floor. With my own eyes, I saw what looked like the land of giants invade that hall. 6'4" and above, huge Dutchmen from the west-side of Michigan shouted in unison, chanted in unison, stomped their feet and waved their signs and intimidated everyone.

The Dutchmen weren't scary as much as like a precision drum team in church. They had practiced their chants with the entire call-and-response competition between sections of the Smentka team.

So picture this, a relatively quiet hall, filled with folding chairs and folks who are politely applauding the speaker. Blah,blah blah --- clapclapclap --- blah blah, blah, blahblah blah -clapclap... pretty standard fare. Then BOOM the doors fly open and phalanxes of giant men carrying signs are chanting and they swarm over the seated audience. These giants just took over the room and there was no way to hold them back. Including, then Governor John Engler.

He tried to quiet the crowd and was shouted off the stage. Spence Abraham tired to speak and never got a word out. It was a massive show of coordinated power politics. The result was that John Smenkta was nominated for Attorney General.

So the Republicans put up a guy with an unpronounceable name, with a personality of a clam and the looks of Mr. Rogers against a fine-looking hottie with smart brain and the McNamara Band behind her.

The Smenkta folks were lead by Chuck Yob and they took their power-play from Sam Riddle's Caucus antics of 1988 and Jesse Jackson's Michigan win.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I've got a lot of criticism for Granholm, but the governor that Michigan had before her was much worse.
    You're right. All of Michigan's problems for the rest of eternity will be Engler's fault.

Engler was way worse, by a long shot.

What an ignorant statement. Love him or hate him; John Fucking Engler was the single most effective Governor in the last 50+ years. Engler knew how to get bills written, put in and out of committee, knew how to get his agenda through the process.

Too many folks think that making a bill is something out of Schoolhouse rock. It ain't.

One of things engler did was schedule important Committee mettings the morning after the UAW would host their drunken bashes at the KnightCap in Lansing. The place would be packed, backs were slapped, deals made and the Democrats got their drunk on. In the morning when their heads were sewn to the carpet at the Super-8 Motor Inn, John Fucking Engler was gutting the safety net. Snapping their lifelines to their voting base.

You can hate John Fucking Engler - I certainly do - but he was very effective and when you're Governor you rack up points for being effective. Granholm might find out how to get a law passed some time in the distant future, but as a sitting Governor she's a nightmare.

If you want to know how John knew what he knew, I'll tell ya.

ccbatson Guest

She is poison to prosperity. Pro organized labor, anti business via taxation. No LEGITIMATE business in their right mind would willingly choose this environment.

ziggyselbin Guest

I wonder why this was moved here. HP is certainly part of Detroit, there is no way to skirt that.

Perhaps it is because the moderators don't like criticism of the governor.

What is particularly enraging is that Granholm would forsake the people of Detroit and HP for political favor. The person appointed by Engler was doing a good job; why change? To honor some political debt? Is anyone surprised that Blackwell was indicted? The Blackwells are part of the entrenched entitlement mentality of much of Detroit's politics of the last 25 years.

I hope I am wrong about why this thread was moved,because that would be an ugly unfortunate reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    She is poison to prosperity. Pro organized labor, anti business via taxation. No LEGITIMATE business in their right mind would willingly choose this environment.
    So I guess that tells us why you're still here...

Quote: "She is poison to prosperity. Pro organized labor, anti business via taxation. No LEGITIMATE business in their right mind would willingly choose this environment."

Agreed, this area has zero incentive other than the quality of the remaining workforce.

The reason we have Granholm as governor, is because the Republican's ran a couple of Dicks against her!

ccbatson Guest

Sstashmoo...I think you have been converted...welcome.

Elganned, for business reasons only right now, I would not choose Michigan...I made the call when Engler was in office.

But Engler has been out for some time, yet you're still here. Why don't you move?

Quote Originally Posted by elganned View Post
    But Engler has been out for some time, yet you're still here. Why don't you move?
    Because he's really a closet liberal.

ziggyselbin Guest

This thread is not about liberal or conservative dogma. I wish you all would do that somewhere else.

ccbatson Guest

Let me explain it to you Elganned...perhaps you have no experience in the realm of gainful and productive work. The decision to set up shop somewhere is a huge investment of time, resources, and work. The process, given dilligence and effort, is a progressive one where you build a practice or business over time. The rewards of said efforts also accumulate over time and sustain themselves via satisfied customer loyalty ad referrals.

Picking up and leaving is an unwise management of the most important resource an individual has...his/her intellectual property.

So your cash cow is still producing, but not giving quite as much cream.
    Cry me a river.

Lorax Guest

Yeah, as a matter of fact, this is about right vs. left. I don't care what anyone says about Granholm, she's been a far superior governor to Engler, or any other Rethuglican for that matter.

The problem with having a Rethuglican governor, is the Rehthuglican part. No one sane wants fascism in our state government. Granholm has been trying to preserve the quality of life and income levels of unionized employees statewide.

Just because the entrenched corporate interests are willing to sell out our state's resources, workers and environment for the sake of a few jobs that will be offered at slave wages doesn't make any sense. No one's buying it.

You had all better thank god Michigan missed the "prosperity" of the Tush years, since the rest of America is collapsing under the weight of staggering real estate losses, job losses, as here in Florida, with little hope of recovery.

Just hope that Cox character doesn't end up governor- talk about polarization and Detroit bashing- you ain't seen nothing yet. When a Rethuglican governor gets his out state buddies to turn the firing squad on Detroit, as Engler did, then you will have another 20 years of infighting and racist polarization by Lansing.

ccbatson Guest

There you go again...liberals see the end result without realizing what goes into achieving it. Hence the "cash cow" comment. 12-15 years of post grad education with top grades and scores, gruelling training with hours that would make most libs curl up into a fetal position in the corner, monetary costs/loans that would do the same, successfully competing with the top of the top academically....right, a cash cow.

None of which has any bearing on why you are staying in Michigan.
    We all have our own tales of woe and hardship. Are you expecting a medal or something?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast