Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Down and out GOP struggles for focus

From today's Free Press: Down and out GOP struggles for focus
    WASHINGTON -- Republicans have spent the first hundred days of the 111th Congress mostly down and shut out.

While there's a realistic hope that they will be more involved in some upcoming policy decisions, the GOP still has a long way to go before the public sees it as constructive and cohesive rather than obstructionist and unruly.

"There are seasons in politics, and right now it's winter for the Republicans," said Jack Pitney, a congressional expert at Claremont McKenna College in California.

Polls indicate that the Republicans' approval ratings remain dismal: A March 27-29 Gallup poll found the congressional GOP approval rating at 30%, down 6 percentage points from a month earlier.

"The real issue is that the party is not being seen as constructive. They're not seen as voicing solutions to problems," said Andrew Kohut, president of the Pew Research Center. "People don't feel they understand what Republicans stand for -- not even members of the party."

A Pew poll taken March 31-April 6 found that only 41% of Republicans thought the party had clearly explained its opposition to Democratic initiatives, while 42% said it hadn't explained things clearly enough....

ccbatson Guest

They are running a resistance movement in exile waiting for the opportunity [[provided by the failures of the liberals) at the next elections. True freedom fighters.

ccbatson Guest

Hopefully more successful and with a much more noble cause.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Hopefully more successful and with a much more noble cause.
    so -- more totalitarian, more repressive and more brutal -- as long as it's for "your" ignoble cause

ccbatson Guest

We are exiled from elected office [[not the country)...for now.

Fighting for individual liberty cannot be mistaken for totalitarianism [[or repressive)...they are opposites.

Blarf Guest

I'm still waiting for Rush to volunteer to serve his lengthy prison sentence. Since he has always said drug offenders need harsher penalties, he shouldn't have any objection to serving his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    I'm still waiting for Rush to volunteer to serve his lengthy prison sentence. Since he has always said drug offenders need harsher penalties, he shouldn't have any objection to serving his time.
    He clearly thinks he is too important to serve any time. Kind of like how Cheney said he was too busy to serve in Nam. Conservatives can be such hypicrites.

ccbatson Guest

It isn't what he thinks, it is whether or not charges were pressed and he were convicted to serve time...he was not.

ex⋅ile   /ˈɛgzaɪl, ˈɛksaɪl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [eg-zahyl, ek-sahyl] Show IPA noun, verb, -iled, -il⋅ing.
    –noun 1.expulsion from one's native land by authoritative decree.2.the fact or state of such expulsion: to live in exile. 3.a person banished from his or her native land.4.prolonged separation from one's country or home, as by force of circumstances: wartime exile. 5.anyone separated from his or her country or home voluntarily or by force of circumstances.6.the Exile, the Babylonian captivity of the Jews, 597–538 b.c.
    –verb [[used with object) 7.to expel or banish [[a person) from his or her country; expatriate.8.to separate from country, home, etc.: Disagreements exiled him from his family.

exile
    exile, removal of a national from his or her country, or the civilized parts of it, for a long period of time or for life. Exile may be a forceful expulsion by the government or a voluntary removal by the citizen, sometimes in order to escape punishment. In ancient Greece, exile was often the penalty for homicide, while ostracism was a common punishment for those accused of political crimes. In early Rome a citizen under sentence of death had a choice between exile and death. In this case, exile was a means of escaping a greater punishment. During the Roman Empire, deportation to certain islands became a general punishment for serious crimes. The ancient Hebrews allowed those who committed homicide to take refuge in designated cities of sanctuary. Until 1776, certain types of English criminals were transported to the American colonies, and later, until 1853, they were sent to penal settlements in Australia. Both the Russian czarist and Communist regimes have transported prisoners to Siberia. With the growth of nation-states and the acceptance of the doctrine that ties between state and citizen are indissoluble, exile for criminal reasons has become infrequent. However, modern civil wars and revolutions have produced many political exiles, including large numbers of refugees who have been victims of the upheavals in some manner. Such exiles are not subject to extradition and may demand protection from the country receiving them. The concept of "government in exile"—one person or a group of persons living outside their state and claiming to be the rightful government—has become accepted in international law during the 20th cent. This situation usually arises when a warring state is occupied by the enemy and its government is forced to seek asylum in another state. The government is recognized as lawful if it attempts to regain control and if it has armed forces integrated in a large alliance. During World War II, the monarchs and governments of Norway, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium [[without the king), and Yugoslavia were exiled in London, while the governments of Charles de Gaulle of France and Eduard Beneš of Czechoslovakia were formed in exile. See deportation; refugee.
    The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia Copyright © 2004.
    Licensed from Columbia University Press

CCBATSON you were only voted out, and you are part of the minority of a functioning government.

To be honest, I never waste time listening to Rush. We do have a friend who religiously catches his program. I think he calls it, his comedy hour.

ccbatson Guest

Redford-kid...I realize that, just exercising a little artistic license for effect.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    "Artistic license" is what Republicans call it when they use hyperbole and conjecture instead of reason and facts.

Back in the day didn't they use to call that "telling a lie"

ccbatson Guest

Look at this...I throw the liberals a nut, and they go crazy. You must be starved. Anyway....it is semantics and open to a bit of license. Voted out and in a minority versus exile....no lie in using either expression.

It isn't what he thinks, it is whether or not charges were pressed and he were convicted to serve time...he was not.
    Maybe he never served time because there is a different standard of justice if you can afford good lawyers, think back to OJ or Kenny Lay.

ccbatson Guest

An elitist? Where did you come to think I was alleging that of you?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Be a sport cbatson

ccbatson Guest

As I thought, a baseless allegation....again.

Blarf Guest

Has Rush accepted Ron Pauls challenge to debate yet, or is he still being a pussy?

That will never happen, as Rush is a neo-con Republican apologist who cares little for Libertarian-leaning politicians like Paul.

ccbatson Guest

I would like to see that debate...both have some solid points. Paul's weakness on defense vis a vis Iraq is now a moot point. As such, I bet Rush and Paul would be very close on many many issues.

I would like to see that debate...both have some solid points. Paul's weakness on defense vis a vis Iraq is now a moot point. As such, I bet Rush and Paul would be very close on many many issues.
    For the most part, the Libertarian Party feels we are better off as isolationists, so I guess Paul is pretty much in lock step with their platform. When you connect the dots, you'll see he is not weak at all.

Blarf Guest

I don't agree with Ron Paul on everything, but his arguments and voting records are very consistent.

I don't get why Rush says Ron Paul ran for president under a 3rd party when he was running under the Republican ticket, but either way I'd like to see them go at it.

I think this is one of the interviews where he says he would challenge Rush, [[even though the guy giving the interview is a [[[[[[[[[.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HEmgs8BX04

ccbatson Guest

Paul is/was a Libertarian, and therefore, his bid as a Republican makes him a RINO.

Isolationism, and weakness on defense are the tragic and fatal flaws making the Libertarian party a nonviable entity....If only they softened on those points, then we would really have something new and exciting to get behind.

Blarf Guest

I don't think Ron Paul is an isolationist or weak on defense, he just has a different philosophy on foreign policy and how we should approach it.

One thing Ron Paul and Rush Limbaugh have in common is that things they say played in 30 second clips can be taken well out of context.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HPGrmln View Post
    In absolute honesty, I think the opinions of some of the leftists on this site are totally the most offensive, vicious, inhumane filth I have ever heard ANYONE speak about another group.
    Try this on for size-

Lush Lintball is nothing more than a bloviating drug addled gas bag. That's on his best days.

The rest of the time he's just the Caftan Warlord de facto pez-head of the repugnican party, dispensing nuggets of fascist right wing vomit on demand.

Anyone who could take any of the Murdoch Fascists seriously are themselves socially retarded.

Hey all you Lush Lovers, been walking upright long?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast