Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Live chat with Time Magazine's Dan Okrent

Thursday, Oct. 8 at 2 p.m., FreepOpinion.com will carry a live chat with Dan Okrent, the Detroit native who penned the Sept. 24 story, "The Death -- and possible life -- of a Great City."

The chat will be hosted by Ostreet blogger Oneita Jackson, and FreepOpinion readers will be invited to join in with their questions and comments. Mr. Okrent is well aware of the keen Detroit interest in Time's project here, and eager to engage with Detroiters about it.

A transcript of the chat will be made available after it takes place.

The chat will be held here:
    http://freep.com/article/20091007/OPINION05/91007042/1336/opinion/Live-chat-with-Time-Magazine-s-Dan-Okrent
    Last edited by sehender1; October-08-09 at 08:20 AM.

Dan Okrent got one thing right on the nuts : John Dingell bears major responsibility for events leading to the crash of the US Auto Industry. His advocacy for the Big Three went way too far. If Dingell had been a responsible representative, held their feet to the fire once in a while, and they'd faced up to their responsibility to produce a wider range of autos and trucks, not just behemoth gas guzzlers, we might not be in as bad of shape as we are. Unions share some of that responsibility. I know it isn't quite that simple, but that's my basic idea. Okrent's demonizing of Coleman Young is the typical, simple, white, political, racial profiling that's commonplace since before Young took office. I'm not saying Young wasn't complicit - he had a terrible attitude and a bad mouth. I cringed every time he came on teevee. But he was completely surrounded by hostile suburbs and politicians. They wouldn't give him an inch. And then to top it all off, there's a picture of Patterson. What a pile of crock. Patterson was no better than Young, maybe worse, except in the language department. Patterson wouldn't bend over backwards for Detroit if all the poor residents were to disappear. Patterson had more money to work with at very worst times than Young and Detroit had at their best. After all, Oakland County was among the wealthiest counties in the country for many years. I don't think this qualifies as journalism. It's just another sensationalized, attention getter, designed to appear to analyze urban problems.

Got a question for Dan Okrent? Want to tell him something about Detroit, or his story, or Time Magazine's plans to chronicle the Motor City's woes for a year?

You'll get your chance at 2 p.m. today. Join O Street blogger Oneita Jackson and Okrent for a live chat at FreepOpinion.com.

The chat with Dan Okrent has been great. Even John Dingell showed up to ask questions ...

Wow, sorry I missed it. I've just been to busy today to be online or listen to the radio much. I'm hoping you guys will post some of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Wow, sorry I missed it. I've just been to busy today to be online or listen to the radio much. I'm hoping you guys will post some of the conversation.
    The whole thing's here:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2009100...---How-d-it-go?

I read the first installment. There wasn't enough substance, research and thought put into it to warrant reading any more of Time's series. Most people will read it just because Detroit's getting some attention. After how many decades? After we finally collapsed? Great service, Time.