Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default I found a place that sells US made Winter Coats

And it's in Detroit!!

Butchers and Packer Supply in Eastern Market 313-567-1250. Dennis or Stew can order the winter coat for you. The brand is Refrigiwear and the company has them made in both China and the US. But you can specify that you want a US made coat, they are the same price, so why not. I was issued one of these when I was a Teamster assigned to work in the Freezer of a food warehouse and I can attest to the warmth and durabilty of the product.

what are they like? lined? how much? thanks for the tip, sounds like a good one, always a pleasure to buy LOCAL.

Just go to Refrigiwear.com, and you'll see the line. Utilitarian and designed for workers

I'm going with the Siberian. Total cost is $150. They aint much to look at but they are warm. They are rated to -50F. The freezer I worked in was -35F and I had no troubles with my previous coat.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; October-07-09 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    And it's in Detroit!!

Butchers and Packer Supply in Eastern Market 313-567-1250. Dennis or Stew can order the winter coat for you. The brand is Refrigiwear and the company has them made in both China and the US. But you can specify that you want a US made coat, they are the same price, so why not. I was issued one of these when I was a Teamster assigned to work in the Freezer of a food warehouse and I can attest to the warmth and durabilty of the product.
    I certainly hope that all of the 'Buy American' rah rah get their coats from here. It would be a shame if they went with a cheaper, more convenient or stylish option that is made overseas.

Hopefully people will put their money where their mouth is for industries beyond autos.

I believe all Carhartts are made in the U.S. as well...

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I certainly hope that all of the 'Buy American' rah rah get their coats from here. It would be a shame if they went with a cheaper, more convenient or stylish option that is made overseas.

Hopefully people will put their money where their mouth is for industries beyond autos.
    Yup! it is a free country buy the cheap "stylish" made in China trash and save $50 bucks [[MAYBE even pay more?) and replace it every coupla years because of rips, tears, seems coming apart or lead poisening. But why not support American jobs instead of supporting Unemployment claim insurance extensions with your federal tax monies?

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    I believe all Carhartts are made in the U.S. as well...
    Sorry, I don't think so...

http://www.unionlabel.com/carhartt-c...-usa-made.html

If you go to that link and read it, what it says is, Carhartt no longer is letting people know which of their garments are USA/union-made, as opposed to the ones made out of the country. I believe they have one factory outside the U.S. That's dwarfed by their many U.S. factories.

You can buy other brands and be 100% sure the garment is made outside the U.S., in a sweatshop, with Carhartt you can be about 90% it's made here. Better odds than most.

Much of this USA made clothing is Guam/Samoa based sweatshops.US soil yes,US workers somewhat.US companies or fronts for overseas operations,maybe.I will guess that there are tax breaks involved,maybe tariffs reductions.Just speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    If you go to that link and read it, what it says is, Carhartt no longer is letting people know which of their garments are USA/union-made, as opposed to the ones made out of the country. I believe they have one factory outside the U.S. That's dwarfed by their many U.S. factories.

You can buy other brands and be 100% sure the garment is made outside the U.S., in a sweatshop, with Carhartt you can be about 90% it's made here. Better odds than most.
    Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. I searched a lot of local stores last Fall and MOST of the Carhartt coats and overalls were labeled "Made in Mexico"!
    Last edited by Johnnny5; October-07-09 at 04:53 PM.

"You can buy other brands and be 100% sure the garment is made outside the U.S., in a sweatshop, with Carhartt you can be about 90% it's made here. Better odds than most."

Not according to this retailer:

http://allusaclothing.com/carhartt_made_in_america.aspx

That's a great website, thanks ...