Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bahn Thai restaurant in detroit

Does anyone know if Bahn Thai has closed? I'm not in town right now but that is what I heard. It was on Monroe street I think, right outside of Greektown, by Fishbones and what not. Any info would be appreciated.

The Thai Bangcok in Hamtramck is gone - very sad. it was my favorite

Oh man, tell me it's not true. This was my favorite thai restaurant hands down.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The Thai Bangcok in Hamtramck is gone - very sad. it was my favorite
    What does that have to do with his question? Did you answer just to read your words?

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    Oh man, tell me it's not true. This was my favorite thai restaurant hands down.
    I tried to call them today and their number was not in service, that's what prompted my inquiry.

Further info: I called information and they said they had no listing for a Bahn Thai in Detroit.

two good thai spots gone. any suggestions for thai in or near Hamtramck or downtown?

Sala Thai in the old fire station on Russell is probably a cut above average.

Actually, the Hamtramck Thai place was great until the kids took it over. The food quality went sharply downhill. Only the soups were still any good, and the food was barely edible. I knew that place's days were numbered right after the kids were in charge.

As for Bahn Thai, it was never as good as Orchid Thai. Remember, we had three Thai restaurants open downtown in time for the Super Bowl. It was only a matter of time until they shook out.

The good news, for me, is that the old Ham Shoppe, made homeless by the demo in Greektown, is rumored to be moving into Bahn Thai's old space. Ah, can you say $6 for a tuna sandwich with soup? Yum ...

rugbyman Guest

Just to be clear, no one has actually driven by to see if the lights are on. Don't write the obituary just yet.

And I'm pretty sure the Ham Shoppe is actually staying on the same block it used to be on, though I don't recall at the moment which bar it's going in next to.

Wager a tuna sammich, Rugbyman?

I walked by on Sunday. Bahn Thai is closed. All their signs are gone. A sign in the window said to watch for a new place... the name and type of restaurant escapes me now. As I recall, the new place was nothing that jumped out at me so much that I would look forward to it.

Hey Rugbyman, maybe it was the Ham Shoppe who had their sign in Bahn Thai's window -- the location is right next door to the Delux Lounge. Maybe that's why I wasn't fazed. I may have just thought it was another ordinary ham place and didn't connect it to the Ham Shoppe, which had a great reputation. But re: Bahn Thai, they were definitely closed.
    Last edited by downtownguy; October-07-09 at 12:26 PM.

There are indeed signs for the Ham Shop, to be opening soon, in the former Bahn Thai spot.

Orchid Thai in the Compuware is still open - and is quite good.

Bahn Thai was bought out by the recently closed Ham Shop. Deur got pregnant and had a baby, so she really didn't feel like running a restaurant 12 hours a day anymore. Should be a significant upgrade for those fans of the Ham Shop!

Sala Thai is indeed the best alternative left in this part of Detroit. Unlike the other places, including Bahn Thai, it is actually owned and operated by folks from Thailand. I speak with authority, as an American who lived in Thailand for 2 years as a Peace Corps volunteer, with a Thai boss [[wife).

If anyone wants to venture into the Troy area [[where I live), we have three good places - another Sala Thai [[14 Mile, east of Dequindre), Bangkok Cuisine [[Maple and Dequindre), and Bangkok Bistro [[Maple, west of Crooks). All are owned by Thai nationals, and make authentic Thai dishes.

I love Sala Thai but IMHO the best food is from Bangkok 96 on Telegraph just south of Michigan Ave. I've been going there since the day it opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Shis-ka-Bob View Post
    Sala Thai is indeed the best alternative left in this part of Detroit. Unlike the other places, including Bahn Thai, it is actually owned and operated by folks from Thailand. I speak with authority, as an American who lived in Thailand for 2 years as a Peace Corps volunteer, with a Thai boss [[wife).

If anyone wants to venture into the Troy area [[where I live), we have three good places - another Sala Thai [[14 Mile, east of Dequindre), Bangkok Cuisine [[Maple and Dequindre), and Bangkok Bistro [[Maple, west of Crooks). All are owned by Thai nationals, and make authentic Thai dishes.
    The Thai place on Woodward in Midtown [[just north of the Majestic) is pretty damn tasty.

I agree, it's delicious. But, it's the fastfood version of Thai. It's not very redeeming in quality, just delicious in taste. That's not what he was talking about in his recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    Sala Thai in the old fire station on Russell is probably a cut above average.
    Count me as another vote for Sala Thai. I liked them when they were in Lafayette Park, and think the current location is far better in terms of ambiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Count me as another vote for Sala Thai. I liked them when they were in Lafayette Park, and think the current location is far better in terms of ambiance.
    There are two locations. One is in Lafayette Park; the other is at Eastern Market.

Bangkok Cuisine is really good. You get a ton of food, enough to feed me about three times. They also have 7 locations in and around Detroit, that fact should give you an idea of how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    There are two locations. One is in Lafayette Park; the other is at Eastern Market.
    Yeah, I forgot they reopened the old location once the shopping center was rebuilt, thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    In fact, there is a third location - in Sterling Heights on 14 Mile between Dequindre and Ryan. The ambience is better in the Eastern Market location, but the food is just as good [[sans Sushi) in Sterling Heights.