Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Printer Repair in the City?

I have an HP printer that's on the fritz.

Anyone recommend a decent printer repair shop near downtown?

Not sure what they do with printers, but for any PC advice the fellows on the first floor of the Ford Building [[or it might be the Penobscot) have been solid and enthusiastic. They are always my first choice within the People Mover loop.

Ah, I remember that place. I bought a firewire cable from them a couple of years ago.

I'll give them a holler! Thanks!

Pcm - Please let me know what you find after you call them. I have a printer that needs fixing too. Thanks.

What kind of printer? The company I work for has contracted me out to fix a dozen or so printers in the last week, a few downtown. Mostly large office HP and Lexmark network printers. If it's smaller then these larger heavy duty printers, its generally cheaper to throw'em out and get a new one.

I've long given up any kind of thing like that in the city. If you do find such a place it will be closed at 6:00 pm. I just hit the burbs. Further, a "table top" desktop printer may not be worth the price of repair to fix. An honest repair company will tell you that. A "scammola" [[who and where ever they are) will charge you a bunch when you could buy a new one.

I had an Epson that bit the dust after a year. I'd purchased a warranty with it at [[Micro Center in Troy) and just took the credit for ditching it and purchased another better Canon color copier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    I have an HP printer that's on the fritz.

Anyone recommend a decent printer repair shop near downtown?

What model printer and what symptoms? If its a laser, theres some hope, if its a deskjet, aside from a sticky carriage theres not much point in pursuing repair. I repair the things daily.

Alex.

Default HP printer repair

Given that new HP printer/scanner/copiers can be had for less than $100, it's unlikely that you'll find repair more economical than replacement. If you do, then please accept my apologies; and please post where such services can be had.

Ron

Russix and Axle: It is an HP deskjet 5150. Just a simple home printer. It was a hand-me-down that I received a couple of years ago. It was flighty then, so i figured I'd put new ink in it. It worked fine with the new ink up until a couple of months ago when it wouldn't print the proper color of text.

Now, it only prints certain things. I thought it may be the toner, but the last thing I can afford right now is to be arbitrarily replacing parts to chase down a problem.

If it's a big issue, then I'd honestly rather give it away for free to someone who can fix it, or recycle it.

I have yet to call the guys in the Penobscot. When I do, I'll let you know!

I would save your money. You can drop this thing off at the Holden St. recycling plant on Saturday between 9am & 3pm or Wednesday between 10am & 2pm. You could buy another one off craigslist for $25 http://annarbor.craigslist.org/sys/1398439834.html. But I wouldn’t spend another penny on an inkjet. Get a laser printer. For home use they're practically immortal. I have mid-90’s HP LaserJet 4 that I rescued from the curb and after buying a $40 toner cartridge[[65,000 impressions) it has proven quite reliable.

Did you try HP's website or google first.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/...essage.id=8482

Quote Originally Posted by notimpressed View Post
    I just bought the cheapest Canon Pixima printer I could find at Walmart. It prints peachy keen.
    The thing was so cheap in fact, the ink cartridges that come with the printer, cost more by themselves than the printer w/the cartridges.
    Go figure.
    First there were "penny phones". Now there are HP "penny printers" [[thanks Ms. Fiorina?). And they were allegedly sold to Iran illegally for nuke parts years ago.