Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Eastside Slate Endorses Barrow for Mayor

The Eastside Community Slate announced their endorsement of Tom Barrow for Mayor this afternoon. This is interesting because for 27 straight years, they have endorsed the winning candidate in every primary and general election.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2009/...ide-slate.html

What do you think? Will Mr. Barrow pull off the mother of all come from behind victories? Or will the 27 year streak come to an abrupt end next month?

Most of the lawn signs in my eastside neighborhood support Barrow. The outcome of the race is a toss up. At least this time, we can hope that there will be no games played with ballots.

I am less worried about the Mayoral race. The key for moving this city forward lies with the Council race. Please fellow Detroiters, vote for some new blood.

I do have one question. Is Shaunteel Jenkins related to anyone at Jenkins Construction?

If Barrow wins the race for Mayor, it is truly over for the city. Many of the people who are supporting him do not have a recognition of the very drastic actions that are needed in order to save this city.

Now, if only Barrow will get out there and make some noise. After saying that Norm White and Charlie Beckham should be fired, he should be all over the Bing Administration to fire Beckham or, even better, the Detroit City Council to hold forfeiture hearings for Beckham. He needs to do something to get his message out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 7miledog View Post
    If Barrow wins the race for Mayor, it is truly over for the city. Many of the people who are supporting him do not have a recognition of the very drastic actions that are needed in order to save this city.
    Do you think Mayor Bing's people are any less delusional?

Some of them actually think that the layoffs and wage concessions that he's seeking will actually help the City avoid bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Now, if only Barrow will get out there and make some noise. After saying that Norm White and Charlie Beckham should be fired, he should be all over the Bing Administration to fire Beckham or, even better, the Detroit City Council to hold forfeiture hearings for Beckham. He needs to do something to get his message out there.
    I concur completely.

All this proves is that the 13th District Team Kilpatrick folks didn't get their "endorsement fee" from Bing.

Fuck 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    All this proves is that the 13th District Team Kilpatrick folks didn't get their "endorsement fee" from Bing.

Fuck 'em.
    If you believe that "Kilpatrick's folks", who are running both Bing's campaign and his administration, are at odds with Dave Bing. You are the most delusional person to ever post on DetroitYes.

Kraig is right. Most of Mayor Bing's staff are hold overs from the Kilpatrick Administration.

And - by the way - one should also note that the Eastside Slate endorsed Mayor Bing in the primary.

Stosh Guest

I hope Barrow wins. He can preside over the recievership. That accounting degree will come in handy.

This is the worst time in history to win the Mayor's Race.

Think about it, why would anyone even attempt to run, other than a pay-check, which Bing doesn't need. His concern is for the city to make a comeback, Barrow's only motive is to redeem his sorry political career.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    This is the worst time in history to win the Mayor's Race.

Think about it, why would anyone even attempt to run, other than a pay-check, which Bing doesn't need. His concern is for the city to make a comeback, Barrow's only motive is to redeem his sorry political career.
    If Mayor Bing's only concern is for Detroit's comeback then why does he refuse to release the turnaround plan that his staff completed almost a month ago?

http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2009/...districts.html

Check today's Freep, its in there.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    now if only bing will get out there and make some noise that barrow was convicted of tax evasion 15 years ago. what's worse a convicted felon appointee or a convicted felon mayor?

The accountant was convicted in 1994 on 11 counts of bank fraud, filing false tax returns and other charges. Barrow was sentenced to 21 months in prison and fined.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...lenger_to.html

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    now if only bing will get out there and make some noise that barrow was convicted of tax evasion 15 years ago. what's worse a convicted felon appointee or a convicted felon mayor?

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...lenger_to.html
    I hear you, both are bad, no doubt about it. But Beckhams conviction was for bribery. Which, according to Michigan Law, disqualifies him from holding an appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Check today's Freep, its in there.
    Yes, indeed. I criticized Mayor Bing for not releasing his turnaround plan last night. This morning, he released it. He released it almost a month later than he promised, but he eventually released it.

There's a separate thread already started for the turnaround plan. I'll post my initial comments about it over there.