Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: I-75 & 9 Mile

Default I-75 & 9 Mile

hardly a week ever goes by without an accident on one of those curves.

can't they put rumble strips in to slow the idiots down?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    hardly a week ever goes by without an accident on one of those curves.

can't they put rumble strips in to slow the idiots down?
    That would be fun. Make them tuned, like those "song roads" Southbound, the rumble strips play "Hi ho hi ho, it's off to work we go". Northbound, play "Homeward Bound", by Simon and Garfunkel. Make it a toll road too.

I would disagree. It seems like the Ford Fwy and US-23 always get the brunt of the accidents.

I don't believe it's the "Ford Freeway" in Ann Arbor.

9 Mile and I-75 is a classic example of bad roadway engineering. It should be used as a classroom example in Civil Engineering classes on how not to build a roadway.

Musical road
    The Civic Musical Road was built on Avenue K in Lancaster, California, United States, on 5 September 2008. Covering a quarter-mile stretch of road between 60th Street West and 70th Street West, the Musical Road used grooves cut into the asphalt to replicate the William Tell Overture. It was paved over on 23 September after nearby residents complained to the city council about noise levels.

After further complaints from city residents about its removal, work began to re-create it on 15 October 2008 on Avenue G between 30th Street West and 40th Street West — this time, two miles away from any residence. This road is named after the Honda Civic. It opened two days later. The new section on Avenue G is only in the far left lane of the westbound side of the road. The road appears in Honda Civic commercials.
    Maybe they could make the road speak. It could say "Slow down!"

Driving thru the mountains is much worse, especially when the posted speed in 70. The Penn Turnpike near Pittsburgh comes to mind. Blind curves all over the place.

How about something as simple as a "STAY IN LANE" sign? No one regards the solid lines there.

If you can't negotiate the 9 Mile Curve on I-75 at 80 mph, staying in your lane all the while, you need a better-handling car.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    That would be fun. Make them tuned, like those "song roads" Southbound, the rumble strips play "Hi ho hi ho, it's off to work we go". Northbound, play "Homeward Bound", by Simon and Garfunkel. Make it a toll road too.
    Hmm, I think nowadays you would have to reverse the directions in which those songs are playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I don't believe it's the "Ford Freeway" in Ann Arbor.

9 Mile and I-75 is a classic example of bad roadway engineering. It should be used as a classroom example in Civil Engineering classes on how not to build a roadway.
    Oh sorry, I meant them as two seperate freeways, not 94 @ 23. I would agree with your last statement.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Hmm, I think nowadays you would have to reverse the directions in which those songs are playing!
    Not by looking at the traffic jams at 8 AM. Of course, you wouldn't know that.

One wonders if they have those flexible vertical tube dividers [[like they do at the Ambassador Bridge terminals) around this curve, would it prevent the idiots from passing?

I used to work for a guy who, during the 70's, had the towing contract for Hazel Park police. He would often talk about that curve and how many times he was called to clean up a wreck.

Spot on Fury13-I've come through that curve,both directions,many times at a lot faster speed than 50 and have had no trouble.Poor driving skills and ill handling cars are the biggest problem causers there.See the last big one that took out the 9 Mile Road bridge-the guy decides to exit at 9 Mile from the left lane and just steers across all lanes of traffic!And then thinks he did nothing wrong!Imbecile.

I had totally forgotten that area. My cousin was in a horrible accent there back in the late 60's. She had a new 67 Camero and ended up flipping over a few times. Luckily only the car and her pride were hurt at the time.

crawford Guest

Not by looking at the traffic jams at 8 AM. Of course, you wouldn't know that.
    That is almost certainly false, because Detroit is one of two major cities with a net outflow of workers to the suburbs [[the other is San Jose).

Wayne County also has a net outflow of workers, to Oakland and Washtenaw Counties.

I really don't find this I-75-9 Mile corridor to be much of a problem. There's plenty of leeway on this stretch for negligent drivers.

No really, Crawford, there is NO traffic here heading to the suburbs except for the afternoon rush. I drive everyday, and never sit in traffic, except on the Ford downtown, which I avoid.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    That is almost certainly false, because Detroit is one of two major cities with a net outflow of workers to the suburbs [[the other is San Jose).

Wayne County also has a net outflow of workers, to Oakland and Washtenaw Counties.

I really don't find this I-75-9 Mile corridor to be much of a problem. There's plenty of leeway on this stretch for negligent drivers.
    Why does anyone post anything on this board anymore is beyond me.
    You make it a pissing match on every topic known to man.

I wish that the traffic cameras were working online.
    A look at the one facing South on I-75 at 8 AM will show a significant backup daily, and relatively clear sailing northbound.

A look at the one facing South on I-75 at 8 AM will show a significant backup daily, and relatively clear sailing northbound.
    Correct. I am always thankful I travel Northbound in the a.m.

And it's true that unless you're a functional moron driving a hooptie mobile, you can take that corner with no problems at all. The surface is some of the most smooth around.

Why does anyone post anything on this board anymore is beyond me.
    You make it a pissing match on every topic known to man.

Crawford has no idea what he's talking about. But that's never stopped him before.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    The surface is some of the most smooth around.
    A smooth surface is NOT what you want in a curve like that especially in rain or snow. I guess they paved over the grooves?

Yeah, about 10 years ago.