Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: 777,493

Default 777,493

Read all about it here: 777,493

Detroit is well on its way to stealing Antarctica's method for success. Among Antarctica's successes are no failing schools, no budget issues, no corruption, no blight, no crime, no poverty, and the lowest taxes in the world. If Detroit continues on this path it too will be able to claim the same successes that Antarctica can now claim. Those looking for a Detroit devoid of crime and poverty are but a few short decades away until their dream coming true.

Seek help!

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post

Detroit is well on its way to stealing Antarctica's method for success. Among Antarctica's successes are no failing schools, no budget issues, no corruption, no blight, no crime, no poverty, and the lowest taxes in the world. If Detroit continues on this path it too will be able to claim the same successes that Antarctica can now claim. Those looking for a Detroit devoid of crime and poverty are but a few short decades away until their dream coming true.

LouHat Guest

No one every got laid by telling a chick he was from Antarctica.

Number of homicides, number of mayors in the past few years, number of failed projects, number of forclosed homes, number of unemployed, number of auto plants shut down, number of of people still being investigated by the feds....how is a city suppose to expect to keep track of all of that AND the number of people that live there? Geesh.

What's the source for the 777,493 number? I'm not doubting you, it just seems like the exodus accelerated if that's the case. I guess when you look at the job numbers for the city, and state it could be possible. Plus here in Illinois, I run into Detroit / Michigan people every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    What's the source for the 777,493 number? I'm not doubting you, it just seems like the exodus accelerated if that's the case. I guess when you look at the job numbers for the city, and state it could be possible. Plus here in Illinois, I run into Detroit / Michigan people every single day.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2009100...-count-Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by LouHat View Post
    Wait--you can get laid by telling a chick you're from Detroit?
    Where do I sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post

Did you even UNDERSTAND the entire article before starting you Detroit bashing?? The gist of the article is the large variance on the results of 2 different ways of estimating Detroit census populations for the same year, and nowhere in the article did it say which one was correct.

Funny that.... but that wouldn't have fit into your "dumping on Detroit" mentality, now would it?
    Last edited by Gistok; October-05-09 at 11:43 AM.

If that's supposed to be a population count, I highly doubt there are that many still there. I'd think more like between 500K and 600K.

Like I say, Detroit is a good place to be FROM.

Quote Originally Posted by LouHat View Post
    Hahahahahahahaha !

huh ?

777,493!

That is not Detroit's actually population estimates. That data is NON-SEQUITUR. Detroit's actually population eastimates is over 930,000. However we have to find out from after the 2010 U.S.Census come in.

If Detroit's population is 777,493. Then over 20,000 whites left the city ,over 130,000 blacks left, and 2,507 Hispanics left.

2blocksaway Guest

No wayyyyyy Detroits population is over 900,000.

Somewhere around 800,000 sounds about right.

Just in the few hours of listening to DFD radio, there were 3 or 4 house fires last night and so far 4 tonight. At that pace, there won't be any place for too many people to live coupled with all the known vacant and demolished places.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Did you even UNDERSTAND the entire article before starting you Detroit bashing??
    Who is bashing Detroit proper? I'm bashing the entire Metro Detroit area.

The Census Bureau, which I would consider a fairly authoritative source, has Detroit at 912,062 as an estimated population on July 1, 2008, the last year for which they give an estimate. Based on the Census estimate the population has been decreasing for the past few years at a few thousand per year. Their 2000 Census number was 951, 270. So to have suddenly dropped by well over a hundred thousand is unthinkable.

If you think the population is suddenly well under eight hundred thousand, then either you must believe the Census Bureau information for the past eight years is wildly inaccurate, which I do not, or you must believe there was a sudden mass exodus of historic proportions since July 2008, which the rental truck people will tell you there was not.

So I think 777,493 is fiction, and I would say something within 5% of Census Bureau estimates is probably as realistic a number as we're likely to see until the next official census report is published after the 2010 census.

By the way, lest anyone think I'm painting a rosy picture here, I'm not; I'm just pointing out it's not as bad as the title of this thread suggests.

But Detroit continues its inexorable slide toward irrelevance. In the first eight years of this decade, "new urbanism" has taken hold, and 21 of the top 25 US cities gained in population from 2000 to 2008. Detroit was second worst, in terms of population loss, losing 4.1% of its population in that time. Only Philadelphia, losing 4.6%, was worse.

What is worse, nobody seems to even be discussing any ideas to make the City livable, to make people want to move back in. Not only are we drifting toward the iceberg; we've stopped even trying to steer the ship.

I mean, tell me: have you heard from Dave Bing, or Tom Barrow, or Robert Bobb, or Jennifer Granholm or Jesus Christ, even one single solitary idea - not even a plan to implement it, just an idea - that is designed to make people want to move into Detroit? Because stanching the bleeding is not enough [[not that we've even accomplished that); we have to rebuild, which requires that people move in.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    By the way, lest anyone think I'm painting a rosy picture here, I'm not; I'm just pointing out it's not as bad as the title of this thread suggests.

But Detroit continues its inexorable slide toward irrelevance. In the first eight years of this decade, "new urbanism" has taken hold, and 21 of the top 25 US cities gained in population from 2000 to 2008. Detroit was second worst, in terms of population loss, losing 4.1% of its population in that time. Only Philadelphia, losing 4.6%, was worse.

What is worse, nobody seems to even be discussing any ideas to make the City livable, to make people want to move back in. Not only are we drifting toward the iceberg; we've stopped even trying to steer the ship.

I mean, tell me: have you heard from Dave Bing, or Tom Barrow, or Robert Bobb, or Jennifer Granholm or Jesus Christ, even one single solitary idea - not even a plan to implement it, just an idea - that is designed to make people want to move into Detroit? Because stanching the bleeding is not enough [[not that we've even accomplished that); we have to rebuild, which requires that people move in.
    Well, Jen Granny did at least try with the Cool Cities initiative. It was largely mocked by the manufacturing intelligentsia of Michigan... That is the only program that I can recall that proposes to do anything other than level out Detroit.

Bring in ACORN. That's the only way to get those numbers back up there.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Well, Jen Granny did at least try with the Cool Cities initiative. It was largely mocked by the manufacturing intelligentsia of Michigan... That is the only program that I can recall that proposes to do anything other than level out Detroit.
    That program is now known as Cruel Cities. It's focus is to remove the money previously given to "Cool Cities", and to take away even more money as well. How Cool, thanks, Mr. Headlee!

crawford Guest

The Census Bureau, which I would consider a fairly authoritative source, has Detroit at 912,062 as an estimated population on July 1, 2008, the last year for which they give an estimate.
    No, both estimates are U.S. Census estimates.

The 912,000 figure and the 777,000 figure are both from the U.S. Census, but use vastly different sampling methodologies. The Census does not indicate which is more "correct", and strongly cautions against using either number.

The 912,000 figure is the regular annual estimate. The 777,000 figure is part of the American Community Survey, which is basically the building block of the 2010 estimate.

Personally, I think the "real" population [[to be revealed for 2010) is much closer to 777,000 than 912,000.

The 912,000 figure sounds ridiculous to me. It would indicate that the city of Detroit has basically had a stable population for 20 years, which sounds absurd. Detroit had roughly a million residents in the last years of the Young administration. People really think that the population hasn't dropped much since then?

The Census Bureau absolutely does weigh in on that issue:

"Although the ACS produces population, demographic and housing unit estimates, it is the Census Bureau's Population Estimates Program that produces and disseminates the official estimates of the population for the nation, states, counties, cities and towns and estimates of housing units for states and counties. The ACS should be used to examine housing characteristics and demographic, social, and economic characteristics of the population."

The Population Estimates Program is the 912000+ number.

The Census Bureau, which I would consider a fairly authoritative source,

They're still a U.S. Government agency, right?

And you consider them accurate?

I mean, tell me: have you heard from Dave Bing, or Tom Barrow, or Robert Bobb, or Jennifer Granholm or Jesus Christ, even one single solitary idea - not even a plan to implement it, just an idea - that is designed to make people want to move into Detroit?
    Why should anyone come up with an idea to stop the population loss in Detroit? In the two years I've been here I've seen every conceivable idea proposed then shot down with great virulence and anger. There is far too much of a stalemate in this region and neither side is willing to budge not even one inch. Trust me Detroit and this entire region will go up in flames before anyone does anything that will actually help fix this area.

Metro Detroit, R.i.P, with Detroit leading the way …

LouHat Guest

Who cares, we suck. When I was a kid, any city with less than a million was like Milwaukee or Cleveland, third rate. The people who built Detroit, the people with self-respect, ambition, talent, and personal-responsibility, left a long time ago. At least some of the classic skyscrapers are left, but as far as population-loss is concerned, let them go. Detroit, like any dysfunctional loser, needs to hit bottom before it can be rehabilitated.

I'm going to drink the radiator fluid from my car.