Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Oakland Mall Hudson's

Does anyone have by chance a picture of Oakland Mall when it Hudson's was still there? I grew up with that mall and that Hudson's and will never know downtown Hudson's, but can say that those memories I have heard from of downtown Hudson's mirror mine of Oakland Mall Hudson's. Perhaps not the parade, but the day after Thanksgiving shopping, seeing Santa. For me, going to "Hudson's" was synonymous with going to Oakland Mall [[and still I catch myself saying, "Let's go to Hudson's---errr---Oakland Mall). I just want to use it as my desktop background which is right now Northland Center when Hudson's was still there.

Stosh Guest

Thanks for sharing that thread. Always heard about that Bob Segar concert at the Oakland Mall when I was growing up but that's the first pix I've seen from that show. Great turnout for the band considering they were practically unknown outside of Detroit at the time.

That will always be my Hudson's, too.
    I worked there my senior year in high school [[Christmas help, of course) and also once I came back from college.
    By the way, the restaurant [[now called Lakeshore Grill) is still there, and still serves popovers and Maurice salads. Yummmmmmmm.

Ah yes the restaurant, I love that restaurant. And thank you for the link, Stosh. That picture [[or postcard?) of 70s Oakland Mall is cool because I grew up with the "new" section where JC Penny's is now and the ornate entrance. But I just want a clear picture of the main HUDSON'S edifice.. You can still see the imprint of "HUDSON'S" if your upclose to the edifice.

xD, Seger was really popular in Detroit and getting a lot of air play by 1970. He'd had 2-3 hits and was on the Capitol label by then. If you wanted to see some raucous big crowds, the Hideout was the place to see Seger in 1966-1968.

I shot these photos of the Hudson's nameplates on the Oakland Mall Hudson's just after the Marshall Fields announcement.

the Hideout was the place to see Seger in 1966-1968.
    Well, it looks like we have something in common jiminnm. Except my experience was at the Loft.

Attachment 511
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-18-09 at 11:21 AM.

Kathleen you truly are a God-send. THANK YOU!! so much! There was a person in the link above talking about coming home from a long trip and seeing the HUDSON'S edifice and knowing she was home...I felt the same way. You don't know how much this means to me and my family when they see it.

We would go downtown twice a year, back to school and Christmas. We wore our Sunday clothes, hats and gloves. I vaguely remember being in a Easter Parade at Eastland. Even as a teen I would buy a Hudson shopping bag, go to the cheap stores in the mall but pretend my purchases were from Hudsons. Hudson delivery trucks were everywhere since they had free delivery. Hudsons had such good will in the community.

Unfortunately no picture of the outside as Hudsons as requested, but I do have these two pictures INSIDE the Oakland Mall Marshall Field's when it was decorated during the December 2001 Christmas season.

Attachment 1135

Attachment 1136
    Last edited by EMG; November-01-10 at 05:00 PM.

Also, I have this picture I shot of the outside of the EASTLAND Marshall Field's building in '01:

Attachment 1139
    Last edited by EMG; November-01-10 at 05:00 PM.