Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New spam using ATT&T name

Got this message on my e mail and said what WTF. Called tech support in India. He said, "you veddy smart person". It's pure spam. Gotta say it looks good though. Here is the content of this new spam.

Dear AT&T Account User,

We have noticed an unauthorized attempt to change your sbcglobal.net account?s password from a foreign IP. This was going to result to your inability to access your account due to the password change.

We are about to terminate your sbcglobal.net [[AT&T) account for security reason see our privacy policy.

If you know you are the authorized owner of this account, kindly reply by providing your original

Email address: [[*******)
    Username: [[*******)
    Password: [[*******)

The provision of the above information will prove that you are the owner of this account and we will protect your ID and password from unauthorized access.

Failure to do this will violate AT&T?s email terms & conditions. AT&T is the soul owner of sbcglobal.net.

From AT&T web team.

©2009 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved.
    AT&T and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.

Be careful friends! My only complaint is that I had to wait 40 minutes to talk to a real person.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Got this message on my e mail and said what WTF. Called tech support in India. He said, "you veddy smart person". It's pure spam. Gotta say it looks good though. Here is the content of this new spam.

Dear AT&T Account User,

We have noticed an unauthorized attempt to change your sbcglobal.net account?s password from a foreign IP. This was going to result to your inability to access your account due to the password change.

We are about to terminate your sbcglobal.net [[AT&T) account for security reason see our privacy policy.

If you know you are the authorized owner of this account, kindly reply by providing your original

Email address: [[*******)
    Username: [[*******)
    Password: [[*******)

The provision of the above information will prove that you are the owner of this account and we will protect your ID and password from unauthorized access.

Failure to do this will violate AT&T?s email terms & conditions. AT&T is the soul owner of sbcglobal.net.

From AT&T web team.

©2009 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved.
    AT&T and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.

Be careful friends! My only complaint is that I had to wait 40 minutes to talk to a real person.
    Yep, same thing happen to us. In fact, we caught a trojan virus from this [[it crashed our entire computer) and it left a sticky mess of infections behind. We've been using Internet Explorer since this incident.

So yeah, AT&T users need to be very careful.

AT&T is the soul owner of sbcglobal.net
    I can see how people got burned by this very sophisticated document.

Always look for spelling errors [["soul owner" instead of "sole owner") & errors in the corporate names [[sbc global, instead of AT&T).

That's Phishing.

To be honest I am computer naive. I asked my husband, "why are they doing this". He told me, to crash your computer".

It just leaves blank. I don't see any fun it this activity.

What confused me more is that my husband told me that for us to upgrade any SBC programs he had to dismantle several safeguards on our computer. Actually, that freaked me out. I say forget the upgrades and reinstall our fail safe systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Awfavre View Post
    Always look for spelling errors [["soul owner" instead of "sole owner") & errors in the corporate names [[sbc global, instead of AT&T).
    All well and good if you know how to spell. An increasing number of people these days don't.

Today we received an email purportedly from PayPal asking us to click on a link to resolve some bogus problem. Neither the link nor the sender's address contained "PayPal" and we have no PayPal account.

So.... Go Phish. No clicky the linky.

Is this problem growing again?

I get a couple every week. Different wording, same Phish. My delete icon gets a good workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I get a couple every week. Different wording, same Phish. My delete icon gets a good workout.
    Same here... also... I've lost count of how many lotteries in Europe I've won, and how newly widowed wives of killed African Bank directors that want to send me money [[to split with them) to be wired to my bank account!

Luckily, since I have Earthlink, they scrub all the viruses from my EMAILs first, and notify me that they did so when opening another Phish EMAIL.

Also Earlthlink, Paypal, AT&T Phishers have notified me that my account is in imminent danger of being closed if I don't send them some personal info or password.... my reply is always the same..... [[DELETE).

My favorite is the cell phone text message from some credit union that states that my card has been deactivated and I need to call some local number to resolve this situation. My credit union doesn't even have my cell number. I've gotten several of them in the past few weeks. I received one as I was using my card. Transaction was approved and all is well. Still using my card

I think the phishing stuff is growing into a bigger problem again... I receive notifications of my bank accounts being possibly compromised - on my work e-mail, which I have never shared with anyone not involved with my work - which cracks me up because I have no accounts with any banks at all, and deal with just one credit union, period. LOL

This past week, I answered a call on my work phone from a bank regarding the "2004 Jeep Liberty you just puchased from me, Mrs. Bot." I said, "I just bought a what from you? How did you get this number?" Which his reply was, this was the number given when Mrs. Corn Bot purchased the vehicle...

Well, he got my name right. It threw me because I never ever ever give out my direct line as a contact number to anyone, so I have no clue how he connected my name to my non-published work phone. Let's not even consider that I would never ever ever buy a 2004 Jeep, or that I am not even remotely in the position or the market for a car of any kind at this time.

So I called my credit union to make sure my accounts were not affected [[they weren't). I guess if I want to see if anyone was trying to use my identity for a loan, I'll have to look at my credit reports. Would have to pay to do that at this point; and actually I'm not going to worry too much about it. My credit history is not awful, but my very tight debt-to-income ratio will not get anyone very far at all in the way of securing financing for more than, oh, a couple packs of Dentyne or so....