Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another one Bites the Dust - Suburban White Collar Crime

http://detnews.com/article/20091002/...igned-in-court

Another man found screwing people out of their money in a clever Ponzi Scheme. How many is this now in the Metro Detroit Region? The second or third is the past few months? All suburban too. How come White Collar crime is more accepted than other forms? No one is outraged about this crap. The yards may have fences and the cops may have proper funding... but the crime still is there. In fact, they get away with MORE money.

So what is your point? We can all read the newspaper.

He was charged with 59 felonies. How is such crime "more accepted?"

Is there a full moon tonight shining on the forum? Jeez.

My point has been mistaken. I understand he was found and charged, that's all well and fine. But I wasn't talking about acceptance by the police / criminal courts. I'm talking about society, there is no outrage. These people get away with billions, and nobody truly has any rage against it.

It doesn't even tarnish the reputations of the communities these people live in. If we substituted the violent crime in Detroit for White collar crime [[but kept the same amounts of crimes the same), Detroit would look so much better. Of course, I'm not saying I'd rather have it that way. Simply saying, society accepts white collar crime.

Oakland county should look badly, this is the 2nd or 3rd in only a few months!

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    My point has been mistaken. I understand he was found and charged, that's all well and fine. But I wasn't talking about acceptance by the police / criminal courts. I'm talking about society, there is no outrage. These people get away with billions, and nobody truly has any rage against it.

It doesn't even tarnish the reputations of the communities these people live in. If we substituted the violent crime in Detroit for White collar crime [[but kept the same amounts of crimes the same), Detroit would look so much better. Of course, I'm not saying I'd rather have it that way. Simply saying, society accepts white collar crime.

You are yet another of the city vs. suburb antagonizers who are more a part of the problem of this region than the solution. Instead of discussing what is good about the city you love, you have to seek out reasons to degrade the cities you don't. A rational person would realize that where there is money and the opportunity for it, there will be white collar crime. You say "Detroit would look so much better if we substitute white collar crime for violent crime". Of course, people aren't afraid to let their children walk to school in an neighborhood where a ponzi scheme took place. Bernie Madoff isn't going to try selling drugs to a kid walking down the street, or try to enlist him in a gang. I appreciate you love Detroit. Try it without doing it at the expense of the rest of this area, and you may find you get a lot further and possibly even get some folks to agree with you.

Sorry, but that's just not the case. When Madoff and Sanford's Ponzi schemes were uncovered there was outrage nationwide. There were people protesting in New York and I saw several news clips of Madoff being physically confronted by angry protesters. It was on the news every hour of every day, and still is. I think society looks down on white color criminals just as much as those you steal the "old fashioned way". The problem is out legal system does not.

How in hell can a man in his 70's accused of stealing 200 million dollars be out on a 10K bail? If the guy is truly guilty he has almost nothing to lose by fleeing.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; October-02-09 at 07:04 PM.

So basically you are trying to instigate an argument. The article was your means of facilitating it. It's matter of the number of people committing the crime that can scar a community, not the degree of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    You are yet another of the city vs. suburb antagonizers who are more a part of the problem of this region than the solution. Instead of discussing what is good about the city you love, you have to seek out reasons to degrade the cities you don't. A rational person would realize that where there is money and the opportunity for it, there will be white collar crime. You say "Detroit would look so much better if we substitute white collar crime for violent crime". Of course, people aren't afraid to let their children walk to school in an neighborhood where a ponzi scheme took place. Bernie Madoff isn't going to try selling drugs to a kid walking down the street, or try to enlist him in a gang. I appreciate you love Detroit. Try it without doing it at the expense of the rest of this area, and you may find you get a lot further and possibly even get some folks to agree with you.

You are very wrong. Anytime I or anyone point out anything about my city, it gets shot down with all the negative comments like your taxes are too high or your school system is in decline or your city is a extension of Detroit or soon will be. I'm tired of hearing that sh-t. Some of these people are nothing more than closet racists. I've lived in my community for 16 years without one incident, and I'm not planning on moving anywhere. I've got great neighbors, white and black.

http://detnews.com/article/20091002/...igned-in-court

Another man found screwing people out of their money in a clever Ponzi Scheme. How many is this now in the Metro Detroit Region? The second or third is the past few months? All suburban too. How come White Collar crime is more accepted than other forms? No one is outraged about this crap. The yards may have fences and the cops may have proper funding... but the crime still is there. In fact, they get away with MORE money.
    Maybe, just maybe.... it's because nobody dies or gets injured!

Generally people get less outraged when there's no hospitalization or funerals involved. That should be a no brainer...

When that suburban white collar guy who was fired from his job, came back, went postal and killed a secretary and co-worker... people were outraged. It's just that people don't tend to call that a White Collar Crime... they call it Murder....
    Last edited by Gistok; October-02-09 at 11:36 PM.

ccbatson Guest

Is he a lib like Madoff?