Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Curious: Where do all the Charter school kids go to High school?

I hear allot about Detroit students that don't graduate. 90% of the charter schools are K-8's. Where do all these kids go to high school? Maye I missed a bunch, but I only count 6 charter high schools in the city among all the different charter companies [[and roughly 33 Pk-5 or K-8)! And they say there's 45,000 kids in charter schools??? Seems fishy.

Are the charter kids really not getting much better of an education then the public school kids and merely dropping out when they return to a public high school? I do know the teacher turnover rate at charters is extremely high.

Isn't it a little unfair to talk about "graduation rates" when charters are MOSTLY [[not all) grades K to 8 and don't have to be accountable for graduation rates? How do they know the charter school graduation rate if most them don't have high schools?

Just curious.

Sludgedaddy Guest

....an even bigger dilemma...where do home schooled kids go to the Prom ?

Detroit charter students go to HS in Ferndale, Eastpointe, Southfield and Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Detroit charter students go to HS in Ferndale, Eastpointe, Southfield and Warren.
    And what do you base that on, oh Great Fountain of Wisdom?

I asked Ghettoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgedaddy View Post
    Or The Homecoming Dance?

When they pull Senior pranks, do they do lawn jobs at their own houses?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I asked Ghettoman.
    Ha ha ha!

You got me there.

A lot of them do go to high schools in neighboring cities. I don't have specific numbers, but I know some kids that go to high school outside the city.

My child started at a catholic school in Detroit [[K-8), had to leave when it closed, then went to a charter in the burbs for middle school [[K-12), didn't stay there for high school, but went to a different charter for high school that is 9-12 only, also in the burbs.

There's several really high quality charter schools either in Detroit or around Detroit. University Prep just seems to keep growing and in my experience it's a really wonderful school. The Henry Ford Academy [[which is attached to the Henry Ford Museum) also seems like a great school and most of their students are from Detroit. Michigan Health Academy out on the far west side is pretty new and didn't seem, to me, to be as great as UPrep and HFA but it did seem to have something unique to offer students. [[All the Health Academy students graduate with a entry level nursing certification).
    Also, in my experience a good chunk of charter school kids who are bright, good students, with involved parents, end up going to Renaissance, Cass Tech or the School of the Arts for high school. It seems like DPS has more to offer bright kids in high school than in elementary school, but then, I worked with high schoolers so I don't have a lot of indepth knowledge of how the elementary schools work.

A few of the charter high schools located outside of the city, bus students in from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgedaddy View Post
    and how would home schooled kids explain a prom night dumpster baby?

I know for a fact east detroit schools are not open district. so charter kids only go there if they live in eastpointe. So if they live in detroit and go to east detroit schools they are scamming there system.

My old grade school is now called Detroit Central High Academy or something like that. It is a charter in the City. Lots of Charter High Schools exist. The Henry Ford Charter also has a High School at the New CCS in the Argonaut Building and there is one just S of there between 2nd and 3rd as well.

Quote Originally Posted by annalouise View Post
    There's several really high quality charter schools either in Detroit or around Detroit. University Prep just seems to keep growing and in my experience it's a really wonderful school. The Henry Ford Academy [[which is attached to the Henry Ford Museum) also seems like a great school and most of their students are from Detroit. Michigan Health Academy out on the far west side is pretty new and didn't seem, to me, to be as great as UPrep and HFA but it did seem to have something unique to offer students. [[All the Health Academy students graduate with a entry level nursing certification).
    Also, in my experience a good chunk of charter school kids who are bright, good students, with involved parents, end up going to Renaissance, Cass Tech or the School of the Arts for high school. It seems like DPS has more to offer bright kids in high school than in elementary school, but then, I worked with high schoolers so I don't have a lot of indepth knowledge of how the elementary schools work.
    My child attends a Charter school, if I am still residing in Michigan during his Highschool years, he'll attend one of the schools above.