Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Detroit 2020!

Default Detroit 2020!

Sorry Chicago.

I have thought the idea of a Detroit/Windsor games would be cool... A truly international Olympics!

It might even make me pay attention to something that doesn't involve women in tights or shorts.

But then everyone, in order to cover, visit or view the events and sights, would need to obtain and then carry passport around with them to get back and forth and you how difficult that is.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    But then everyone, in order to cover, visit or view the events and sights, would need to obtain and then carry passport around with them to get back and forth and you how difficult that is.
    Well, most people would probably already have a passport.

If we can get some serious mass trainsit infrastructure in place, we're golden.

Otherwise, not in this century.

See article and fine video clip re Detroit Olympic bids:
    http://freep.com/article/20091002/BL...eels+your+pain

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Sorry Chicago.
    Try, Detroit 2090. Or maybe Detroit 2200.

I'm sure it's satisfying for those like you who seem to have typical, tiresome Chicago-envy to delight in the fact that our nation's only Olympics site candidate was shot down. Keep in mind that Chicago was probably more fit to bid on the Olympics than most U.S cities... other vibrant places like NYC, or maybe Portland or San Diego, could have possibly made the list, but didn't. If Chicago, the most viable city in the Midwest, was eliminated, what does that say about Detroit's chances for the foreseeable future?

That's right: nil, nada, zero.

Enjoy your Chicago-envy, iheartthed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Try, Detroit 2090. Or maybe Detroit 2200.

I'm sure it's satisfying for those like you who seem to have typical, tiresome Chicago-envy to delight in the fact that our nation's only Olympics site candidate was shot down. Keep in mind that Chicago was probably more fit to bid on the Olympics than most U.S cities... other vibrant places like NYC, or maybe Portland or San Diego, could have possibly made the list, but didn't. If Chicago, the most viable city in the Midwest, was eliminated, what does that say about Detroit's chances for the foreseeable future?

That's right: nil, nada, zero.

Enjoy your Chicago-envy, iheartthed.
    Haha, I love the taste of hurt feelings. Mmmmmmm.

Detroit 2020!

ETA: Oh yeah, I love the implication that only vibrant cities are able to host the Olympics. If I remember correctly, Atlanta wasn't much more than a medium sized metropolis when they got it. It was only have the size that Metro Detroit is today...
    Last edited by iheartthed; October-02-09 at 12:59 PM.

crawford Guest

Fury, Detroit [[city proper) may be a dump, but Chicago isn't much better.

-Murder capital of the nation
    -Highest population loss in the nation
    -Most corrupt city in the nation
    -Governor in jail

There is no possible way Chicago could ever compete with Rio, Tokyo and Madrid.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Fury, Detroit [[city proper) may be a dump, but Chicago isn't much better.

-Murder capital of the nation
    -Highest population loss in the nation
    -Most corrupt city in the nation
    -Governor in jail

There is no possible way Chicago could ever compete with Rio, Tokyo and Madrid.
    I agree with that, actually. Rio [[the eventual winner) is a fine choice.

However, Chicago has many, many livable neighborhoods. Detroit has what, one or two 'hoods where you don't have to worry about crime nearly every minute you're there? To say "Chicago isn't much better" is inaccurate.

Detroit might be home, and because of that, I have affection for it... but it's a plain fact that it's a crime-ridden, broken-down dump... and it keeps getting worse.

I agree with that, actually. Rio [[the eventual winner) is a fine choice.

However, Chicago has many, many livable neighborhoods. Detroit has what, one or two 'hoods where you don't have to worry about crime nearly every minute you're there? To say "Chicago isn't much better" is inaccurate.

Detroit might be home, and because of that, I have affection for it... but it's a plain fact that it's a crime-ridden, broken-down dump... and it keeps getting worse.
    Eh, I bet Detroit hosts an Olympic games before Chicago does.

Is that a cutesy way of saying Chicago will never host an Olympics?

Chicago was awarded the 1904 Olympic Games. But it was moved to St. Louis for dubious reasons.

1904 St. Louis. The worst Olympics ever!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_Summer_Olympics

I was very surprised to learn that Denver was awarded the 76 Winter Olympics, but had to cancel because the people of Colorado didn't approve the bond issue to raise the money. Stupid.

Detroit hosting a Olympics? Let's start little by little. Pan-American Games perhaps? Not as prestigious, but it could show that we can host an international event.

I was stunned that Chicago was out by the first ballot, but I called Rio when this started.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Is that a cutesy way of saying Chicago will never host an Olympics?
    No... It's a straight forward way of saying that Detroit will host an Olympics before Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I was very surprised to learn that Denver was awarded the 76 Winter Olympics, but had to cancel because the people of Colorado didn't approve the bond issue to raise the money. Stupid.

Detroit hosting a Olympics? Let's start little by little. Pan-American Games perhaps? Not as prestigious, but it could show that we can host an international event.

I was stunned that Chicago was out by the first ballot, but I called Rio when this started.
    What more does Detroit need to do to prove that it can host an Olympics? It has certainly hosted more large sporting events in recent years than Chicago.

What more does Detroit need to do to prove that it can host an Olympics? It has certainly hosted more large sporting events in recent years than Chicago.
    Perhaps, but the sporting events we have hosted, the infrastructure was already in place. And Detroit does need to prove it can host an Olympics, we need to prove that we are a viable, that we have sufficient transportation needs, that we have the money. Right now we have none of these things, and we won't by 2020. Maybe 2024 or 2028.

Maybe the Gay Games?

Perhaps, but the sporting events we have hosted, the infrastructure was already in place. And Detroit does need to prove it can host an Olympics, we need to prove that we are a viable, that we have sufficient transportation needs, that we have the money. Right now we have none of these things, and we won't by 2020. Maybe 2024 or 2028.

Maybe the Gay Games?
    Detroit is probably farther ahead right now than where Beijing was when it won the bid. Detroit's main hindrance would be mass transit and housing... But they could probably make an Olympic village just from rehabbing the abandoned houses that the city already owns.

The metro area already has more than enough facilities to use or upgrade for the event. And using the Olympic bid as a target goal would be the catalyst to get the ball moving on necessary infrastructure improvement projects [[like how NYC used its Olympic bid to get the ball rolling on transit expansion projects).

I like this quote in the Chicago Sun Times editorial about Chicago's failed bid:

Great cities stay great only by dreaming big.
    And it's true. Sitting around talking about what Detroit can't do will only lead to getting nothing done.
    Last edited by iheartthed; October-02-09 at 04:33 PM.

Stosh Guest

And you really think that would pass here? With the pissing and moaning about even small changes to our tax structure [[or additional taxes) to support basic services here? Please.

Canada won't be part of any Detroit 2020 bid as Toronto is gearing up for another shot at the games in 2020 or 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    And you really think that would pass here? With the pissing and moaning about even small changes to our tax structure [[or additional taxes) to support basic services here? Please.
    While I wasn't trying to say whether or not it would pass, I do think it would pass. It didn't pass there because envorimentalist were behind the "No" vote as they thought the Olympics would be detrimental for the enviroment.

If Detroit ever wants to host the olympics, keep in mind it takes alot of civic support [[by that I mean $$$$) to assemble the bid. The people willing to make that happen must also have confidence in their city that it can make the plan work. No offense, but there's an incredible amount of work to be done, starting with the stereotypical image of Detroit.

Yeah, it was a pretty sad day here in Chicago. After we were eliminated, all the banners were removed from our building.
    Last edited by wolverine; October-02-09 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    If Detroit ever wants to host the olympics, keep in mind it takes alot of civic support [[by that I mean $$$$) to assemble the bid. The people willing to make that happen must also have confidence in their city that it can make the plan work. No offense, but there's an incredible amount of work to be done, starting with the stereotypical image of Detroit.

Yeah, it was a pretty sad day here in Chicago. After we were eliminated, all the banners were removed from our building.
    Oh no doubt, but when we become the better city, will have the civic support. My grandparents remember little of any of the bids that Detroit did for the Summer Olympics.

Great cities stay great only by dreaming big.
    Amend that to: "Cities BECOME great only by dreaming big."

Now, try telling that to the people in Detroit's corrupt, incompetent power structure... as well as the folks living over at 6 and Gratiot.

Let's see how far you get...

Amend that to: "Cities BECOME great only by dreaming big."
    Tell that to the folks in Oakland County, the Clowns on Detroit City Council, the Black Slate, and all the suburbanite's who gleefully boast about how they haven't been to Detroit in ...[[fill in the blank)....years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast