Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    cheddar bob Guest

Default 2009 Detroit Tigers

Until we can get a sports mega-thread, here's a tigers thread for the year.

Brandon Lyon is going to be a piece of shit this whole season. I didn't realize the Tigers signed an eight year younger Todd Jones. The less I see him pitching, the better. Way to ruin a great start by Jackson, dickface.

Leyland should be laying into the whole team right about now. He needs to nip this in the bud right now, something he was reluctant to do with last year's veteran roster. Last night was terrible baseball combined with terrible pitching by Verlander who may not recover from this year long slump. If he cannot find a way to get some movement on his fastball [[2 seam grip?), he can be traded for all I care.

Here's a couple predictions that I'm pretty confident in...
    Jackson will win at least 15 games this year and possibly 16 or 17.
    Brandon Inge will hit at least 25 home runs.

This team better turn it around quickly this year because I'm already sick of watching shitty baseball.

They should have won this game 3-1. To lose 5-4 is unacceptable. I'm worried this is going to be last season all over again, but perhaps with a little more hitting. You can't have relievers giving up 3-run HRs every game, as has happened in each of the first two games.

Go Indians!

cheddar bob Guest

Nobody asked you. If you wanted to talk about the Indians, start a thread about them on clevelandyes.com.

LOL, Bob, I see why they have so much fun at your expense over on ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~. Being humorless in defeat isn't a virture.

cheddar bob Guest

If you're talking about where I think you're talking about, I've never seen anyone have fun at my expense. In the words of Dick Vernon, "I'm a swell guy", over there. You're welcome to send me a PM with where you've seen it, though.

It would probably be better if you just stuck to debating sstashmoo about the draft. That's easy.

That place is too difficult to find anything.

Lighten up, Bob. All in good fun.

Only two games...not time to panic just yet....

When do they move Inge to the clean-up spot? Maybe he can close, too ...

Sad game. I'm not a Tigers fan, but as a baseball fan I hate to see a great pitching performance like Jackson's tonight go to waste. On the flip side, I love to see late-game heroics, so it was a great game from a pure fan of baseball perspective.

At least no one threw stuff on the field, did they?

Two terrible loses. In game one their so-called ace looks absolutely terrible and the bullpen blows the game yesterday. If Jackson is going to win 15+ games he better plan on pitching a lot of 9 inning games.

Anyone else tired of the "April in the D" song that is played at least once and sometime twice during every commercial break on FSN? They're beating that thing like a dead horse.

Seems like the same story as last year, they got no relief pitching. Bring Todd Jones back from retirement, at least he was decent most of the time.

all i know is i love curtis granderson

Brandon "Meatball" Lyon really made an impression last night didn't he?
    Tigers need to sell protective screens for fan's TV sets if this going to continue. Either that or start playing better or more sets will just be turned off before long.
    It just doesn't get any worse.

Yea good call Leyland, let's throw Lyon back out there in the 9th. For god sakes, no other Manager in the majors would have rolled that scrub out there. I have always been a Leyland supporter but good lord, it's almost like he wants to be fired.

If I'm not mistaken, Jackson was responsible for one of those runs getting on base. Leyland let him play into the 8th even though he was showing signs of tiring. Then Lyon went out and sealed their fate. Only guess I had is that he's saving the bullpen for opening day at CoPa.

Unless 2 of Zumaya, Rodney and Perry have very good seasons, the bullpen will cost us 15 games this year. The sad thing is we could have bought Putz and Rodriguez and had 5 million left over with the money we're paying Sheffield and Willis not to play this year. A crappy back end of the bullpen demoralizes the entire team as well as the fans. It makes the starting pitchers and the hitters press by constantly knowing no small lead is ever safe.
    Granderson is going to hit 25-30 homers this year, which is not a good thing. He's continuing to pull everything and strike out too much. I'd like to see Anderson moved to lead off and Granderson bat 5th or 6th whenever a rightie starts, which is most games. I'm leaving for the game here in Toronto tonight in a few minutes. I may just leave after 7 and go straight to bed if we're leading. That way I get one good night's sleep this week.

Great outting by Jackson...solid pitching, the best the Tigers have showcased ...Very sad to see it ruined by a bullpen that needs a fast overhaul...The fact is Gallaraga and Jackson are the horses that will make the '09 team respectable...

JJ Putz wasn't a free agent, 401don. Seattle wanted both Matt Joyce and Jeff Larrish. As strong as the case for that trade was, we wouldn't have been able to land Edwin Jackson without Joyce. And however emotional this forum can be, I would hold off on calling Brandon Lyon a "dickface," cheddar bob. We've played two games. There is no reason why Ramon Santiago shouldn't be starting, however.

Detroit sports fans...
    Last edited by oneway; April-08-09 at 04:29 PM.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oneway View Post
    ...I would hold off on calling Brandon Lyon a "dickface," cheddar bob.
    Okay, go ahead and hold off then. I decided not to. If Lyon ends the year with an ERA of under 3.5, I'll send a personal apology to him, how's that?

You're funny.

From what I've seen so far, they'll be lucky to make .500.

The hot dogs are always great.

cheddar bob Guest

See? No Brandon Lyon tonight and they win. Coincidence? Okay, mabey two Cabrera HRs had a little to do with it.

Those 2 from Miggs, Inge's 3rd, a wicked gun down by Anderson from right field, Rodney holding a 4 run lead, Perry's good debut ... decent night.

Ravine Guest

Many of you already know how I feel about baseball and the Tigers, so it won't be surprising to hear that I'm irritable about a couple of things already.
    Still, Game 3 went pretty well, across the board, so let's try to cool down. We don't have to call for Leyland to be axed just yet.
    I don't like the feeling I have about Verlander, and if I knew just how to verbalize it, I would. What I can say is that it is one thing for a guy like Bonderman to be having trouble with fully rebounding after surgery; it happens. Willis' predicament, strange as it seems, also is not unheard of. But when a guy who seems to be perfectly alright, and who asserts that he is perfectly alright, repeatedly fails to get the job done... Now, that is scary.
    Even though he didn't look so good in his first appearance, I have a reservedly-good feeling about Juan Rincon's potential value to this team. What a boost he could be to the weakest part of our game.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast