Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Share ideas for the MCS property!

Just got this from John:

The Michigan Central Station Preservation Society is pursuing the next phase in our restoration efforts. Thanks to a generous $10,000 contribution from the Ambassador Bridge Co. we are exploring how we can invest the funds to have the greatest impact on the MCS. We are currently concentrating our efforts on the betterment of the exterior, while the interior is worked on by licensed and trained companies.

Feel free to share your ideas thanks!

Sincerely,

Michigan Central Station Preservation Society Inc.
    www.SaveMichiganCentral.com

Securing it would be a good start. I think everytime I drive by I see someone on the roof.

Nice of the owners of the fucking building to contribute money to work on it.

haha "generous contribution" like they are giving to charity. Keep giving the free labor to the billionaire.

They're still paying for everything, it just gives us the ability to not have to go through their red tape, so then we get contractors to either landscape the place and whatever else you guys come up with.

Bike4beer, new fence and security cameras are already being looked at. The main problem is the city property where most people sneak in from. Bombard the Property Maintenance and Zoning Violations Buildings & Safety Engineering Department [[BSED) with phonecalls [[[[313) 224-2733) because the city needs to take care of those loading bays or sell the property back [[which they won't because its a key international commerce site).

The Michigan Central Station Preservation Society is pursuing the next phase in our restoration efforts. Thanks to a generous $10,000 contribution from the Ambassador Bridge Co. we are exploring how we can invest the funds to have the greatest impact on the MCS. We are currently concentrating our efforts on the betterment of the exterior, while the interior is worked on by licensed and trained companies.

I don't even know what to say. . . . .

. . . .

I sincerely hope your efforts lead to the restoration and creative resuse of the Michigan Central Depot. $10K seems very little with which to do anything but good luck anyway.

Regarding your request to "Bombard the Property Maintenance and Zoning Violations Buildings & Safety Engineering with phonecalls..." do you know anything about that department's relationship regarding MCS. Certainly the building must be loaded with violations from the them. Right? Why would you want to draw any attention since they could write even more violations against the depot or enforce existing violations.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I don't even know what to say. . . . .

. . . .
    LOL... Wolverine... I'll say it for you....

mcs... I realize this is just a beginning... but Matty needs to pony up a few more zeroes to that money amount!!

The majority of the exterior of the building is out of reach [[without scaffolding) for volunteers. And scaffolding requires professional [[non-volunteer) workers. So I truly cannot picture what impact you can make on the exterior at ground level, especially at that price!

The only thing that comes to mind is landscape work...
    Last edited by Gistok; October-02-09 at 02:23 AM.

Ten grand sounds like it could buy at least three smiling faces to go along with the cheshire on the owner's as he realizes the discount available on college-age apologists...and how they may have more success on an internet chatboard than his own highly-paid PR and Security people. At least in the short run...which may be all they're looking for now.

That is ground-floor improvement right there!

Watch that, MCS'friend, you might be putting a price on your soul.

For $4k, your assumed take as leader and fall-guy of this portion of the outreach, you could at least have searched the archives here. Or are you only tasked with approximating current sentiment about the use of this relic?

With that money, we should buy a lot of beer.

With that beer, we'll make a lot of urine.

We could use the urine to etch-clean the outside of the building.

Ground-floor improvements.

I understand Patrick has some experience with this.

Artillery target?

I know the release isn't clear, but I'll say it again there won't be any volunteering on that property for a long time, the money will go to work done by professionals: landscaping, window removal, etc.

You don't complain about the building, you complain about the portion the city owns [[tracks, bridge, and the space on Newark)

Someone mentioned scaffolding [[I'm replying via blackberry so I can't check as easily) possibly a man lift will be used when more sandblasting occurs.

I'm not asking for anything more than ideas. So please, less sarcasm, and more thinking.
    Last edited by mcsdetroitfriend; October-02-09 at 07:09 AM.

Shrinkwrap the entire building in . Project advertisments/PSAs on it from batteries of zenon projectors thereby creating a revenue stream while at the same time protectiong the building from the ravages of weather ... then begin replacing the roof and all the windows.

As far as the canard about the city owned portion...brick it up. Don't tell me Matty can't brick up City property when he has fenced off and seized a city park, boat launch and street.

Landscaping? it is a LAST thing any sane person does with the 10K.

10K should be just enough to brick up the City property and get an RFP together for the shrinkwrapping with maybe just enough left over for a pizza party at Chuck E Cheeze for the little ones.

Oh, you want more thinking and less sarcasm ... how about this: you are being bought for pennies and because you're still in your parents care they are underwriting the expenses of a billionaire. Your youthful energy and positive puppiness is being used to divert public attention away from the plethora of sins being committed by Matty and Dan Stamper.

You are the pretty assistant to the magician. A diversion.

Your eyes are sparkled by the notion that through your love of a building, through the letters and phone calls you made, through personal family connections, you are being allowed to drink alcohol and eat food near a billionaire.

Someday you'll understand. When that knowledge hits you, I hope we don't find you walking in circles, reciting mathematical proofs, while fishing through trashcans for empties.

It happens.

The building was built for commercial use. It would be best utilized for that--offices and possibly lofts.

In the current auto-centric world of Detroit, the building's usefulness will ultimately depend on parking availability, which at the moment is woefully inadequate.

So eventually a parking garage will have to be built on or near the property, or some arrangement made for frequent, regular, free shuttle service to and from some as-yet-undetermined off-site parking.

Good luck.

The brick idea is good, maybe we can donate the money to the city so they'll do it, I would much rather prefer to stay on the straight and narrow from now on

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    LOL... Wolverine... I'll say it for you....

mcs... I realize this is just a beginning... but Matty needs to pony up a few more zeroes to that money amount!!
    Really that's it, and be hiring professional experience to do all the work. If 10K is being donated to make further improvements on the park, that's awesome. But I hope he's not just playing games here...

The thing you need to understand mcsdetroitfriend is that many people here have witnessed Manny's total disregard for the shape of his buildings for years. Not to mention the whole fiasco over the park by the Bridge. He obviously thinks he can sidestep the law by begining to build his second span of the bridge without getting the proper permits and whatnot lined up. Corpsicles have been found in his buildings and yet he shows no effort to secure them from intruders. So you need to excuse us for thinking he might be a little disingenuous with these efforts. The man has billions of dollars and a virtual monopoly on trade traffic between Canada and the US, at least around Detroit, yet he spends none of that to better the area and the buildings he now claims to love. Of course he seems like a nice guy when you were hanging out in his suite at Comerica, what did you think he would release the hounds? I prefer to judge a person by their actions not how they seem in a brief encounter.

The brick idea is good, maybe we can donate the money to the city so they'll do it, I would much rather prefer to stay on the straight and narrow from now on
    I'm speechless. I would think this was a fake poster baiting us if the truth weren't sadder...

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Really that's it, and be hiring professional experience to do all the work. If 10K is being donated to make further improvements on the park, that's awesome. But I hope he's not just playing games here...
    Its not the park this money is going to, the city owns the park [[that's as far as I know I could be wrong) its going towards the building and the property surrounding it inside the fence.

'Donate' was the wrong word, obviously if the city can't bury their
    unclaimed dead, then they obviously can't afford bricks and
    mortar. So some kind of permissions would have to happen, and I'm
    not sure what you would call it...

As far as the Book Repository/Post Office, I don't know that the bridge co. Owns that or not, but as far as mcs goes the state of the building is very much the same as 15 years ago when that developer couldn't afford to secure the building, look at the Acadia book and there's a flyer from 1993 [[shortly before matty bought the building) and the building looks very similar to how it looks today, minus a fence

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Mcsdetroitfriend, I understand there are many snarky comments out there from the skeptics, but I would like to have a serious discussion here. You folks have clearly managed to get some hearing from Maroun, and I think some action is better than nothing.

First, I do not think it would be a good idea to give the money to the city, as the likelihood that the city will use it efficiently is nil. The city may be taking no action because of lack of money, but I think lack of will stands as an equal reason.

Second, what exactly is the problem with the security with the loading bays? I thought that the ABC put up steel bars just beyond the loading bay areas to prevent people from getting in? Have the bars not been working? I understand there are many ways to get into the property, but I also think that the ABC could secure the building if it really wanted to by erected barriers on its property.

Third, in terms of security, it would seem like regardless of the city's inaction, the $10,000 could be used to contribute somewhat to security. I think that proper securing of the building will be necessary before any real improvement can be made. What good is sandblasting the exterior if Joe the Tagger can come and put his name on the newly clean front of the building?

So I think that you should consider using the money for security. Most important, though, is identifying all the possible ways one can get into the building. I cannot imagine that a new security fence could be built for $10,000, so that will not be an option.

What do you think?

The serious solution would be for someone to go to the head of the class with a covered easel, get the attention of the room and uncover said easel reading:

Tear That Schitt Down.
    The End.

Lorax Guest

Something fishy about this "call to arms".

With 10 grand, little can be done beyond buying pizza and beer for the volunteers. The Matted Moron needs to pony up several million to mothball this behemoth and act serious about it.

I'll say it again- if the Matted Moron is truly a billionaire, which most published accounts agree he is, then he can afford a methodical, historical renovation/restoration of the entire property, and it wouldn't make a dent in his personal fortune.

What you're dealing with here is pure avarice, greed, and entitlement. With these attitudes there is nothing that will happen with this building unless he has a change of heart, lets someone else foot the bill, or sells it.

Ultimately, the problem isn't a handful of kids with beers and cameras, the problem is it's still a rotting eyesore that has no development planned whatsoever. The cleanup job will be pointless in six months when more dirt is blown around and more pieces of the interior crumble to the floor. You can clean it every few months, but none of that makes it more or less likely that a development will go in there.

Keep this fact in mind: Moroun is a billionaire and could singlehandedly pay for its renovation, but he chooses not to because there's no viable use for it. If the well-financed owner won't do it, why would anyone else come along to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Mcsdetroitfriend, I understand there are many snarky comments out there from the skeptics, but I would like to have a serious discussion here. You folks have clearly managed to get some hearing from Maroun, and I think some action is better than nothing.

First, I do not think it would be a good idea to give the money to the city, as the likelihood that the city will use it efficiently is nil. The city may be taking no action because of lack of money, but I think lack of will stands as an equal reason.

Second, what exactly is the problem with the security with the loading bays? I thought that the ABC put up steel bars just beyond the loading bay areas to prevent people from getting in? Have the bars not been working? I understand there are many ways to get into the property, but I also think that the ABC could secure the building if it really wanted to by erected barriers on its property.

Third, in terms of security, it would seem like regardless of the city's inaction, the $10,000 could be used to contribute somewhat to security. I think that proper securing of the building will be necessary before any real improvement can be made. What good is sandblasting the exterior if Joe the Tagger can come and put his name on the newly clean front of the building?

So I think that you should consider using the money for security. Most important, though, is identifying all the possible ways one can get into the building. I cannot imagine that a new security fence could be built for $10,000, so that will not be an option.

What do you think?
    Thank you for your constructive ideas.

As far as I know those steel bars are in place but obviously are not
    doing the trick, so either bricking that area up at the end of
    the concourse or adding thicker bars would definitely do the
    trick.

Also if you haven't seen my earlier posts, a new fence and security cameras will be going up before the end of the year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast