Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit: Too broke to bury their dead

CNN gave Detroit some publicity. It seems that the bodies are piling up at the morgue on E. Warren because some people don't have the money to pay for a $695 cremation.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/01/news/economy/_morgue/
    Last edited by oladub; October-01-09 at 06:27 PM. Reason: eliminated extranious word.

Why does it cost $695? Seems like it would cost the county more to keep them refrigerated indefinitely.

lilpup Guest

L.A. County morgue was the poster child for this a few years ago. Tennessee is another place I've seen mentioned - http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nessee+morgues

I'm sure it's happening a lot of places.

To render a human body to ashes requires something like 2000 degrees sustained for two hours or even longer. That's a lot of firewood at $225 per cord.

Seems like it would cost the county more to keep them refrigerated indefinitely
    Well technically it takes more energy to keep air cold than a solid. So the more bodies in the freezer the less open air the more efficient the freezer is.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
    To render a human body to ashes requires something like 2000 degrees sustained for two hours or even longer. That's a lot of firewood at $225 per cord.
    And a lot of released energy. Hook a turbine up and generate some electricity for the grid while you are rendering the bodies.

Yeah, it seems like storing the bodies would cost more.

Hm. Cash crop, Detroit style, very nice. And I aint had breakfast yet.

Now you see, the typical headline would read:

BODIES PILE UP IN DETROIT

Couldn't corpses be fed into Detroit's glorious incinerator? At those high temperatures I believe the cadavers actually contribute energy in their immolation. "Power to the People, from the People!' Perhaps someone could come up with a better catch phrase?

Postscript: My Dad died earlier this year. Our family is not into organized religion, so when we snuff this mortal coil we contribute our bodies to science - essentially letting medical students carve us up for practice - and the into the oven with our cadavers. However, even though he died at U of M Medical center, and the body donation was in the hospital grounds - get this - BY LAW - a funeral director is called in and wheels the body down there - for a mere $550.

Could we not feed the funeral directors into the incinerator too - dead or alive?

"... even though he died at U of M Medical center, and the body donation was in the hospital grounds - get this - BY LAW - a funeral director is called in and wheels the body down there - for a mere $550."

Absolutely amazing. Do any of the forum lawyers know where this law would be found.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    "... even though he died at U of M Medical center, and the body donation was in the hospital grounds - get this - BY LAW - a funeral director is called in and wheels the body down there - for a mere $550."

Absolutely amazing. Do any of the forum lawyers know where this law would be found.
    I think that they were wrong in charging you. Read below the bolded section 3:
    OCCUPATIONAL CODE [[EXCERPT)

Act 299 of 1980

339.1807 Holder of license for practice of mortuary science; registration with city or village registrar; transportation permit; receiving dead body for shipment or transportation; removal or shipping permit; shipping dead human body for anatomical purpose.

Sec. 1807.
    [[1) The holder of a license for the practice of mortuary science shall register with the office of the registrar of each city or village in which the owner intends to practice. A transportation permit shall not be issued by the local registrar to a person who has not filed a registration card. A local registrar may grant a transportation permit to the holder of a license for the practice of mortuary science coming from beyond the jurisdiction of the registrar, upon the exhibition of a copy of the license to the registrar.
    [[2) A railway agent, express agent, baggage master, or conductor shall not receive the dead body of a person for shipment or transportation by railway or other public conveyance, to or from a point in this state or to a point outside of this state, unless the body is accompanied by a removal or shipping permit.
    [[3) This article shall not prevent the shipment of a dead human body intended for use for an anatomical purpose within this state if that body is designated by the shipper as intended for use for an anatomical purpose.

History: 1980, Act 299, Imd. Eff. Oct. 21, 1980
    Popular Name: Act 299

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I think that they were wrong in charging you. Read below the bolded section 3:
    Yeah - that was 1980. This is a recently enacted new law. I was told it was changed by the lady at the U of M body donation department who was as outraged [[almost) as I was...