Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit's liberal media

This article regarding the "High Court looks at hands guns" article in the Detroit News was almost painful to read. Let me point out a few anti-gun jabs:

The Supreme Court says it will take up a challenge to Chicago's ban on handguns, opening the way for a ruling that could set off a vigorous new campaign to roll back state and local gun controls across the nation.
    Or, much more likely, will follow the lead of the other 48 states currently supporting gun rights.

The court has previously said that most, but not all, rights laid out in the Constitution's Bill of Rights serve as checks on state as well as federal restrictions. Separately, 44 state constitutions already enshrine gun rights.
    Or, you could say that 44 other states simply support the constitution of the United States. Enshrine gun rights? Really? They worship these rights as sacred? LMAO! I may enshrine a good beer, a burger, a sweet classic car, but I'd hardly say I "enshrine" any of my guns, or right to own/carry them.

Though faced with potential limits from the high court on their ability to enact laws and regulations in this area, 34 states weighed in on the gun-rights side before the justices agreed to take the case Wednesday, an indication of the enduring strength of the National Rifle Association and its allies.
    Or, you could say it is the enduring strength of the People of the United States to protect and preserve their rights. The NRA is only as strong as it's membership, which consists of us lowly citizens and all. Let's not forget the ever growing number of people carrying in most every state that allows it.

Alan Gura, who led the legal challenge to the Washington law and represents the plaintiff in Chicago, is suing to overturn the District of Columbia's prohibition on carrying firearms outside a person's home. Illinois and Wisconsin have similar restrictions.
    ....and the other 48 states don't? HMmmmmmm.

This is why I'll continue to read my Detroit News and Freep online, and when the day comes when they start charging us to read online? Well, let's just say that neither one will be all that missed.

That story's actually written by a reporter with the Associated Press, and he's based in Washington D.C.

It has nothing to do with the Detroit papers, other than they pay a fee to run it, as does any other paper in the country.

You're kinda grasping at straws there Sport, I've seen far more egregious examples of liberal and conservative bias in Detroit papers. Maybe lay off the cafeine?

ziggyselbin Guest

The detnews is a traditionally conservative paper.

The editorial page of the News is conservative, the editorial page of the Freep is liberal. Newspapers have a wall between the newsrooms and the editorial page...

Really? That article shows a liberal bias? I don't see it.

Some conservatives appeared to have missed the class on Federalism.

God forbid they take away their guns.
    Although they might be doing some of them a favor since
    most of the gun zealots are so dumb they may
    end up shooting themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    You're kinda grasping at straws there Sport, I've seen far more egregious examples of liberal and conservative bias in Detroit papers. Maybe lay off the cafeine?
    Well put. To accuse any newspaper of a liberal bias for printing an Associated Press article is just plain silly. In the case of the Detroit News, it is also wrong.

There are good arguments on both sides of the gun issue. It is my belief that it is simply too late to attempt any real control, but something has to be done to reduce the number of automatic weapons on the street, in the hands of untrained and irresponsible people. Immediate and severe penalties for their abuse would be a start.
    One thing missing from some "pro gun" advocate arguments is that many ignore the fact that the need for a "well regulated militia" is the rationale for the amendment allowing gun rights. The criminals who use these weapons, and the dealers who sell them, are certainly not members of a well regulated militia.
    It will be interesting to see how the supreme court rules on gun rights cases in the future.
    Last edited by Bobl; October-06-09 at 11:10 AM. Reason: punctuation

"Detroit's liberal media"...

Thanks for the laugh.

something has to be done to reduce the number of automatic weapons on the street,
    since 1934 automatic firearms have been HEAVILY restricted for use and ownership by the general population. including FBI background checks and sign off by the chief LEO in the Citizen's jurisdiction. also no new automatic weapons can be manufactured for civilian ownership after May 1986...

in the hands of untrained and irresponsible people.
    tell me how the constitution requires training to exercise a RIGHT...

Immediate and severe penalties for their abuse would be a start.
    which of the 20,000+ gun laws in the country would you like to alter, to violate the 14th amendment [[right to due process)?

One thing missing from some "pro gun" advocate arguments is that many ignore the fact that the need for a "well regulated militia" is the rationale for the amendment allowing gun rights.
    one thing missing from most "anti gun" advocates is the fact that the 2nd amendment is two distinct clauses separated by the 2nd comma. one relating to the militia and one relating to the Citizens. in reading the federalist papers and other historical documents, the right to keep and bear arms was intended to keep the general population armed so as to keep what might have been an over zealous government from acting like it did in merry ol' England...

Well, before you begin going after those redcoats all over again, it would do to remember that courts, including the Supreme Court, have generally held that the militia clause is what gives various levels of American government the right to regulate firearms. The recent ruling on the D.C. gun law may show something of a change in that course, but this has been the reading of the amendment in federal courts for several generations now.

Good point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonyo exit View Post
    That story's actually written by a reporter with the Associated Press, and he's based in Washington D.C.

It has nothing to do with the Detroit papers, other than they pay a fee to run it, as does any other paper in the country.

ccbatson Guest

It isn't nearly as evident on the local level...maybe they cold teach the national liberal media a thing or two.

Lorax Guest

There is no national liberal media. LOL!!!

You have to buy The Nation to get the good stuff- now that's liberal at it's best.

The rest of network and cable news is notoriously right wing, and no firewall.

Pundit shows can be whatever they like, it's not news, only opinion based on facts in the case of MSNBC, and based on catsick

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LlfXWxcpJy...vomiting-1.jpg

when coming from FOX.
    Last edited by Lorax; November-01-09 at 10:57 AM.

ccbatson Guest

Lorax thinks that all cable news means Fox...well, by virtue of popularity, he may be right...however, CNN, MSNBC, and others also exist as the left wing media.

Lorax Guest

Wow, humor from the humorless, at last. Albeit a lame attempt, an attempt nontheless. We'll take it.

The only liberal national news media is MSNBC contrary to what right wing nuts want you to believe. When they call CNN liberal, they mean they aren't as slanted to the right as Fox is, thus they must not be credible.

ccbatson Guest

Forgot NBC/ABC/CBS there Detroitej72.

Sounds like a middle-school girl whining because the other kids aren't talking nice about her.
    Grow a set.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    more brainwashed bovine excrement, Bats? prove they are liberal. oops, you can't

Lorax Guest

LOL!!

Major corporations run by rich, white, registered Rethuglican old men- sounds like a bastion of liberalism to me!

Nothing like right wing spin from the masters of deception.

ccbatson Guest

I am a master of deception?

Your a disciple, or if your a Star Wars fan, a young padawan of them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast