Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Brenda Jones, Police Obstruction?

Scott Lewis of TV2 News did a Problem Solver story tonight about a traffic accident that involved Councilwoman Brenda Jones chief of staff. Check out the video for further details.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...problem_solver

Haikoont Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Scott Lewis of TV2 News did a Problem Solver story tonight about a traffic accident that involved Councilwoman Brenda Jones chief of staff. Check out the video for further details.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...problem_solver
    I can't watch videos on my computer. Can you summarize?

Last edited by eno; October-01-09 at 09:06 AM.

Brenda Jones was completely wrong and should have been arrested.

You can't really tell from the tape what happened, as it just reports this:

Jones says Ballinger is a rude hot head and a liability to taxpayers.
    Ballinger says he was just doing his job, and Jones was interfering.

Jones chief of staff was involved in an accident and called 911 and her boss. The police and Jones plus security arrived at the same time and located the COS, whose car had spun out but apparently not hit anything, meanwhile a second speeding car hit a parked car, which she witnessed. Jones and security would not allow the officer to interview the COS.

Why would someone need to call their boss when they get in a car accident?

eno
    Dude, I like some of your albums.

ziggyselbin Guest

I heard an account on Wrif this a.m. There certainly is no other city in Mi and few[[if any) that I know of in the country that have the kind of city gov't culture of pathology that Detroit has. It is going to take a long long time to change that culture.

Jones' COS was not in the accident at all. She became "hysterical" [[according to her own account) and completely undone by just seeing the accident. The P.O. -having a lot of experience with intoxicated drivers - recognized the scene and drama as a method of diverting attention/getting sympathy so as not to be investigated for possibley driving drunk. he wanted to speak to the "hysterical witness" but Jones interfered.

Buy American Guest

I'm surprised that Jones didn't come up with the infamous "do you know who the f--k I am?"...that seems to be the standard for Detroit politicians with the Detroit Police.

It does not only happen in Detroit. In Lincoln Park we had a councilman who was pulling over motorists for traffic infractions, flashing his council badge. But at least he resigned.

I wonder who filed their paperwork first, Jones or the Officer. Did one file paperwork in response to the other? It appears that the Officer didn't even know that Jones COF was there until Jones arrived on the scene. By all accounts there was another vehicle that struck the cars and drove off. Jones COF claims to have been shaken up by being turned around during the entire incident. The officer claims that the COF possibly being intoxicated could be the reason why he wasn't allowed to question her.

Everything should become clear once the Squad car's video is reviewed. He appeared to be a stand up guy. So, I'm pretty sure he didn't violate department policy and turn the camera off. The only officers that do that are the ones that plan on doing something wrong or unethical.

I watched the video a couple of times and it appeared to me that she spun out and caused the other car to spin out???? maybe I read it wrong. I watched it last night at work where I can get video [[air card is too slow at home). I was there right after it happened and the officer was being professional and investigating and then all the sudden all these black crown vics show up, one private car, one with flashing lights inside, and a couple more cop cars. The people [[all in suits) jump out of the city cars and rush toward the scene and the investigating officers. It appeared to me that they were imposing themselves on the scene and we were speculating then who the big wig was that was involved. I tend to think Brenda Jones, or at the very least, her security team, disrupted the investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    I watched the video a couple of times and it appeared to me that she spun out and caused the other car to spin out???? maybe I read it wrong. I watched it last night at work where I can get video [[air card is too slow at home). I was there right after it happened and the officer was being professional and investigating and then all the sudden all these black crown vics show up, one private car, one with flashing lights inside, and a couple more cop cars. The people [[all in suits) jump out of the city cars and rush toward the scene and the investigating officers. It appeared to me that they were imposing themselves on the scene and we were speculating then who the big wig was that was involved. I tend to think Brenda Jones, or at the very least, her security team, disrupted the investigation.
    Do you know what day it happened? I know someone that may have surveillance footage.

I don't recall. It was about a week and half ago right around dark. It might have been a Thursday night. I heard a huge crash and like everyone else around here, went outside to see. We had 3 accidents right on my corner this winter so you get to know the sound. I looked in the first couple of days to see if there was anything on the news, but nothing, then about a week ago my neighbor said Fox2 was here looking for info, but I didn't talk to them. I'll see if I can find out the exact date. I'm guessing it was around 8pm.

September 15th, 9PM. It's mentioned by Scott Lewis as to when the accident occurred.

Thanks BillyBBrew and Eno. Unfortunately, unless an incident involving his store happens, my friend only keeps the surveillance tapes for 3 days. He then tapes over them.

I have to meet with some cops later on. I'll try to get the rundown from them.

Mista Alan Guest

It's interesting, but this essentially boils down to a he-said-she-said. Scott Lewis would have been better served had he gone after the dash cam video.

When I saw him, the officers demeanor appeared very professional. The people in the crown vic that hit the parked cars did not leave the scene or attempt to. They stayed and waited for the police which makes me think they are at least legit and probably not drunk, but I can't say for sure. I just know that all these official cars started coming out of nowhere and a group of suits and well dressed people [[i knew one was a councilperson by the car, just didn't know which one) started ascending onto the scene like a swarm. I would have been on the defensive if I had been the officer in charge.

I will say though, that I do not know what happened when they went down the street to talk to the COS. By then I had gone back into my house. I do know at 10pm there were still alot of police cars and VanDyke was closed off and I had to go around it to go to work.