Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Haunted Detroit Tours?

Heard about this yesterday. Is anyone familar with the tour? Would like to know a little more as tickets are $30.00
    http://www.haunteddetroittours.com/

That is a rip off! Just go online and look for haunted spots in the area. Trowbridge Road, School road, The Albrecht house on North ave,The cemetery at 18 and Hayes.People here will know of some as there are countless others.

If people aren't familiar with the local stories or the exact locales where they [[supposedly) occurred, this could be a bit of a problem.

Me personally, this looks like a cheap knock-off of ghost hunters.

Caveat Emptor.

More Boo for your buck with haunted tours from Preservation Wayne.
    Check out the thread on this site:
    Preservation Wayne Spooktacular October Tours...and More

I'm leading a Wheelhouse Detroit bike tour this Saturday that includes a stop at the haunted Two-Way Inn in Nortown [[aka North Detroit.) The Metro Times has an article on this ghost story.

The bike tour will also swing past Better Made, Mt. Olivet, the old Dorais velodrome, and the Conner Creek Greenway.

Thank you!! All of these sound much more interesting, I missed the Preservation Wayne tour -looks like it is sold out [[ a good thing for Preservation Wayne I will keep in mind for next year). Todd, thanks I will check out Wheelhouse and Metro Times.

HistoricElmwoodCemeteryTours
    The cemetery is steeped in history, art and natural beauty. Elmwood tours have been developed to explore specific themes, including: Michigan Governors, Michigan Senators, Detroit Mayors, Civil War Generals, Black Heritage Leaders, Underground Railroad, Memorial Art and Symbolism, and
    Detroit’s Who’s Who. Retired Cemetery Director Chancey Miller regales tour participants with the interesting stories of those laid to rest at Elmwood.

Tours are held in all weather and are walking tours. Bus tours of forty individuals or less can also be accommodated. Advance reservations are required for all tours. $5; free to Historic Elmwood Foundation members, depending upon their level of support.

2009 Remaining Tour Dates: 10 a.m. [[meet at the Cemetery Gatehouse).
    October 17; Halloween Tours: October 3, 10, and 24.

http://elmwoodhistoriccemetery.org/pages/calendar.html

Given the weather, the bike tour has been cancelled.

When biking south on Woodward, I thought I saw a sign for a haunted candy factory at the site of the old Syndey Bogg store/factory.

Sludgedaddy Guest

The Two-Way Inn on Mt. Elliot and Nevada is said to be frequented by the spirit of Philetus Norris, one of the founders of America's National Park system. Saw the proprietor of the Inn sweeping the sidewalk outside the Inn a few weeks ago and inquired about Mr. Norris. I was told he still makes regular appearances.

The Philetus Norris house still stands on Mt. Elliot, albeit in ruins, built in the 1870's. Mr. Norris was a land owner in the area around this time and his name can be found on old plats.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgedaddy View Post
    The Philetus Norris house still stands on Mt. Elliot, albeit in ruins, built in the 1870's. Mr. Norris was a land owner in the area around this time and his name can be found on old plats.
    Do you know the address by chance? I used to have it in a book years ago, but lost it and always wondered where it was, since I'm a local history buff.

Wikipedia and other sites note....

the Philetus Norris house is located at 17815 Mt. Elliott Avenue in Detroit, Michigan, near the corner of Mound Road and Davison Avenue. It was built in 1873....

Sludgedaddy Guest

Kathleen, not to confuse the inquiring history buff, The Two Way Inn is on the corner of Mt. Elliot and Nevada and the Norris House is easily visible just south of this location.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    Given the weather, the bike tour has been cancelled.

When biking south on Woodward, I thought I saw a sign for a haunted candy factory at the site of the old Syndey Bogg store/factory.
    I saw that today when I drove by...the whole Sydney Boggs building appears to have been painted for Halloween [[am hoping that is temporary) and they are indeed advertising as "Haunted Candy Factory".

Thanks, Sludgedaddy, for the clarification.

The Eagle newspaper out here in Wayne had a story with a few cemetaries running haunted tours they sound interesting. Have never been to the "scariest place" in Michigan, Which is the Butler/Ganong Cemetary. The drive past it in the day time and with it being that close to my house is creepy enough.

The Ghost Hunters of Southern Michigan have a number of programs this month at local libraries and other sites:
    http://www.ghosm.com/calendar2009.html

Has anyone checked out the Cadieux Cafe? It is know to be a haunted spot also that is on Detroit's far eastside