Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default MCS to be moved to NYC

Did you hear that Michigan Central Station is going to be dismantled, moved to New York City, and reconstructed at Penn Station?

http://tinyurl.com/mcs-nyc1

Scroll to the center of the page, titled ‘Rail Rumor’

http://tinyurl.com/mcs-nyc2

It’s on the internet. It must be true.

The MCS would probably be waaaayyy better off in NYC than in Detroit. After they destroyed Penn Station, hardly any historic or significant structures have met their fate with the wrecking ball. It's probably not true, but an interesting idea. Imagine the costs!

LOL! is all I have to say. Fact Check: The entertainment arena that sits on the former site of Penn Station is still alive and kicking, no way that'd ever happen.

Nice idea, but not plausible

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Fact Check: The entertainment arena that sits on the former site of Penn Station is still alive and kicking, no way that'd ever happen.
    Ashton, there have been talks to replace MSG in a few years' time, and the train station is being moved to the old Post Office, which actually looks similar to the old Penn Station [[exterior only).

Ha regardless I find it unbelievable only because I was with MCS's owners on Sunday and that never came up.

Also technically speaking the building owes its stability to it's unusual foundation. It's not built on caissons like most, it was built was a concrete matte. They pored the concrete and then built up, letting it settle over time, kind of like a boat! I'm not sure if it's feasible to move something like that [[500,000 sq. feet) safely, but it could be possible, I just don't think it could be done cost effectively, plus there's the cost of reconstruction and restoration to factor into the move.

It's a great idea and I'm sure the place would flourish in NYC, but when you get down to the nickels and dimes, it just doesn't seem possible

What the heck? Can you move a building that old and that big?

it'd probably set some world records

This is tongue and check here folks...

Let me put the absurdity of this idea into persective... when the People's State Bank [[now Silver's Building) was built downtown in the early 20th century... 2 solid massive marble columns were shipped in by barge. When they were moved from the barge up to the bank building site... a roadway/sewer collapsed on the way to the site.

I'm not going to venture to guess at how many thousands of tons the MCS probably weighs... but "chunks" of it would likely have to be rather small for train cars/railroad tracks/rail bridges to handle.

Unlike the dismantling and reconstructing the ancient Egyptian temple of Abu Simbel [[for the Aswan High Dam in the early 1960's)... this would involve way more than just sawing chunks off the building... It would likely have to be totally dismantled.. and that alone would be a very difficult task without damaging at least some of the dismantled parts.

It would likely be cheaper to build a replica.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-30-09 at 12:22 AM.

Absurd. It's a joke, people. The replacement for the current [[awful) Penn Station is Monyihan Station.

http://www.moynihanstation.org/newsi..._operatio.html

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    What the heck? Can you move a building that old and that big?
    They moved the London Bridge to Arizona and they have moved castles.