Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Looking for a photograph color photograph of old City Hall at night

A few months ago, I came across a breathtaking color photograph of old City Hall at night with the Penobscot Building looming "over its shoulder" in the background. The photo was so striking, I set it up as my desktop wallpaper for awhile. Somehow, I lost it and cannot find it anywhere online. I searched the forums, but came up with nothing. Has anyone seen this photo or did I dream it up?

Just sent you a private message.
    If that photo was used as wallpaper, it is still stored somewhere on your external or internal hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine Laird View Post
    A few months ago, I came across a breathtaking color photograph of old City Hall at night with the Penobscot Building looming "over its shoulder" in the background. The photo was so striking, I set it up as my desktop wallpaper for awhile. Somehow, I lost it and cannot find it anywhere online. I searched the forums, but came up with nothing. Has anyone seen this photo or did I dream it up?
    I've got a couple. There's one where it's lighted up and says "Welcome Home Mayor Maybury" on it. There's another of a Masons gathering out front at dusk [[building lighted). Either of those?

Post those pix!

Stromberg2

Yes, please post them if you can. I would love to see them.

Here's my favorite:
    http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...-re1-final.jpg [[photo from Reuther Library)

The other one is on my Mac at home, so I won't be able to upload and post till later.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Here's my favorite:
    http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...-re1-final.jpg [[photo from Reuther Library)

The other one is on my Mac at home, so I won't be able to upload and post till later.
    OOH! Striking!

Thank you, everyone. These are great photos worthy of my desktop! However, the one I seek remains lost.

I found the photo in Virtual Motor City. It's black and white, but my memory and sense of nostalgia recorded it in Technicolor.

Here it is:

That's nice too... too bad it's not in color!

Here's a nice daytime black&white:

Found on http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/.

Thanks for posting that. It's a great picture.

Jimaz, that's the Old Wayne County Building.

Yep, you're correct. It was mislabled at the source.

Now where did I find that?

Also, the car in the bottom right of that photo is way too new to have been in a picture of the old City Hall. Oh well. Maybe we'll get a color photo of the Old City Hall one of these days.

Speaking of getting old City Hall and the old county buildings confused. A former co-worker of mine and also a lifelong Detroiter was shocked when I showed him a picture of myself on the steps of the old county building holding a broom after the 1998 Stanley Cup victory. He asked " How did you get your picture taken in front of old city hall?". I said "What?". "They tore city hall down almost 40 yrs ago." He said. I reminded him that it was the old county building.
    He was confused for a few days and then said "Oh yeah that building by Greektown that looks like OLD CITY HALL."
    Thanks for posting those pictures maybe I can fool him again.

There's a quick shot of it in this video from 1950:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EREwIfmWSzU

Here's a City Hall photo for your Halloween screen saver.

Quote Originally Posted by rajdet View Post
    Here's a City Hall photo for your Halloween screen saver.
    That's not City Hall. That's the Old Wayne County Building.

Not color, but still a neat shot of Old City Hall at night. From Library of Congress: http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/de...0/4a09041v.jpg

I love the pushcart vendors in the foreground of that 1901 picture.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I love the pushcart vendors in the foreground of that 1901 picture.
    Yeppp. I wonder what's on the mural under the "1901" lights?