Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Detroit Construction & Development Updates

Another building off the vacant lists, the old Red Cross garages on Woodward near Mack on the Brush Park side have gotten new signs and is apparently going to be a Tuffy.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; September-28-09 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Title Changed

Don't we have enough auto repair shops in this town? I welcome any new business, but what about a grocery store, a bakery, a sensibly cheap restaurant, a coffee shop?? Is that so hard?

Great to hear, DetroitDad. Not to threadjack, but do you happen to know the progress of the rehabilitation and new construction along Woodward between Selden and Alexandrine, at the old Garden Theatre and adjacent buildings?

DetroitDad Guest

Default Auto Repair Shop

Gsgeorge, I'm thinking people waiting on an auto repair are potential customers for other businesses.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Garden Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Great to hear, DetroitDad. Not to threadjack, but do you happen to know the progress of the rehabilitation and new construction along Woodward between Selden and Alexandrine, at the old Garden Theatre and adjacent buildings?
    The Garden Theater is actually a multi phase project along Woodward, with the first through third actually being built or renovated now.

Installation of windows at th Garden Theater is finishing up, and the three hundred and twenty space parking garage is coming along. The theater will be used as a theater [[three story meeting and entertainment space) with ground floor retail. Those phases are expected to be finished next year. The former Blue Moon restaurant will re-open, and Zakoors will be demolished for a planed six story residential building with two floors of retail and commercial space, to be finished in 2011. At least two more phases are planned.

It seems that this project is one of a few that was implemented correctly, as the owners have been planning it for a about a decade, and supposedly got their financing and plans together when the economy was good, then made their moves when things got bad.

The owners of those buildings seem to know what a good urban project is. The buildings communicate with the street, complement their surroundings, aren't too tall, etc.. We can only hope these become a model of redevelopment and new construction in the city.

It seems like Detroit is still rising after all.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    The buildings communicate with the street, complement their surroundings, aren't too tall, etc..
    Communicate with the street? WTF?

And what on earth does "aren't too tall" mean? A single three floor building would be too tall, and would permanently bathe Detroit in Mordor-like darkness?

BTW, there is no apartment building U/C on that site. It's just more parking. They want more parking because the visitors are getting their windows smashed in, and it's killing their business.

The Tuffy[s building was built as a set for the movie Red Dawn and well as the triangle buildng north of Capital Park. Both will be returned to its previous state after filming. I agree with Detroit Dad regarding the Garden Theater project that is nice refreshing to see developers maintain interesting facades and enhance the Woodward streetscape. Is Zakoors still in business , if so will they relocate nearby?

DetroitDad Guest

I'm not sure on the fate of Zakoors.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post

And what on earth does "aren't too tall" mean? A single three floor building would be too tall, and would permanently bathe Detroit in Mordor-like darkness?

BTW, there is no apartment building U/C on that site. It's just more parking. They want more parking because the visitors are getting their windows smashed in, and it's killing their business.
    More naysaying from Crawford! Finally something cool happens, some actual REAL development in the city, and he finds some way to prod it and poke it and decry it. Bravo sir!

Pot... meet kettle.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Herman Gardens Development

This isn't the best picture, but this is the massive housing development at Joy and Southfield Freeway.

Attachment 3372

Attachment 3373

Attachment 3374

DetroitDad Guest

Default Studebaker Site Development

Progress at the former Studebaker Site.

Attachment 3375

Attachment 3376

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Don't we have enough auto repair shops in this town? I welcome any new business, but what about a grocery store, a bakery, a sensibly cheap restaurant, a coffee shop?? Is that so hard?
    In Midtown, there are two grocery stores, University on Warren, and another one also on Warren by the Little Caesers. Food Pride maybe?

A bakery is on Willis, between Second and Cass. There are tons of cheap restaurants, thats what I live off of.

As far as coffee shops, theres of course the million starbucks. But there is the new Biggby [[sp?) coffee in the Studio 1 apartments, and the other one next to the Thai place on Woodward.

-Tahleel

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Apparently the subtleties of metaphors are lost on you....

He was referring to the maintaining of the streetwall.

just makes me think of all the Development that would happen in a booming economy!

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    In Midtown, there are two grocery stores, University on Warren, and another one also on Warren by the Little Caesers. Food Pride maybe?

A bakery is on Willis, between Second and Cass. There are tons of cheap restaurants, thats what I live off of.

As far as coffee shops, theres of course the million starbucks. But there is the new Biggby [[sp?) coffee in the Studio 1 apartments, and the other one next to the Thai place on Woodward.

-Tahleel
    The coffee shop next to the Thai place closed awhile back. Passport pizza is taking it's place. I think another coffee shop [[not Bigby) opended recently butI'm not sure. There is also the Java Exchange

Once again Crawford attempts to thread jack by posting his hatred for anything positive in Detroit.

when does fatburgers and starters grille are set to open?

Not sure when Kanye West's Fatburger will open. I think Starters is supposed to open in mid-December.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post

-Tahleel
    It took me a very long time to learn that when many "outsiders" say such things, what they really mean is that there are not enough chain grocery stores [[Krogers, Walmart, etc.), restaurants [[TGI Fridays, Denny's, etc.), and so forth. Well, that and the fact that Detroit businesses seem to not advertise very much. You really have to ask other locals until you learn the city well.

The housing on the Studebaker site is shaping up quite nicely

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    It took me a very long time to learn that when many "outsiders" say such things, what they really mean is that there are not enough chain grocery stores [[Krogers, Walmart, etc.), restaurants [[TGI Fridays, Denny's, etc.), and so forth. Well, that and the fact that Detroit businesses seem to not advertise very much. You really have to ask other locals until you learn the city well.

Detroit has an organic retail market - grassroots, smalltime, privately owned by community members. Outsiders aren't used to it and see it as a bad thing. Truth is, it's a wonderful asset which Detroit has. Sure, it would be nice to have a meijer or Kroger, but I'd never want these privately owned businesses to go away. I make a point to shop there as much as possible.

Outsiders are used to the Big chain, corporation stores which give out huge discounts- that's what "real" shopping is to them.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    Detroit has an organic retail market - grassroots, smalltime, privately owned by community members. Outsiders aren't used to it and see it as a bad thing. Truth is, it's a wonderful asset which Detroit has. Sure, it would be nice to have a meijer or Kroger, but I'd never want these privately owned businesses to go away. I make a point to shop there as much as possible.

Outsiders are used to the Big chain, corporation stores which give out huge discounts- that's what "real" shopping is to them.
    That actually kind of surprises me. Back when I was working on planning projects for the city we did neighborhood surveys and many residents said they would make the trip out to big box stores on the fringe for most of their basic needs. Not to say they didn't shop local, I'm sure they did when they could. But your statement is pretty strong against our findings.

Wolverine -

It really depends where in Detroit - it's a big place! Some areas are well represented with any type of retail - but others are. I happen to live in Midtown where it's well represented.

Of course, there's always room for improvement

In the case of Midtown/downtown, that makes sense then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast