Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A True Grace of Musical Genius

Here's a new word for ya: Vasoon-turning bad things into good.

Sounds JUST like what I feel about the happenings in Detroit right now, but it is a term made up by a muse that tickles one particularly willing accomplice, who resonated fully with the vibe that is consuming our fair city when he visited last year.

Cellist and musical genius Ian Cooke dropped into Audra Kubat's Dinner and a Show series and blessed us with a performance that totally blew away everyone in the room. At one point, I noticed from my vantage at the soundboard that nobody in the room was breathing, everyone slack-jawed in amazement.

We had no idea what to expect of this quiet and humble Denver native...only learning of him at the last minute as he and his crew drove through to play a gig in Toronto. They found US, through some beautiful universal equation.

Here is what I could find on YouTube:

A live solo performance at the Denver Open

A slightly off-beat and lamer performance at what appears to be a school classroom
    [[showing his very humble and easily-humored nature)

I just received a full multi-media DVD of his entire album "The Fall I Fell", including some great live performances and an interview with him in his own space that ties everything together. It is stunning...outstanding. The recording is audiophile quality. I may have to dig out my thesaurus, because I've run out of expletives. Must remember to breathe.

During the interview, I began to realize the full depth of his genius [[and understood the entirety of emotion churned up by his all-so intimate performance for us that night)...and I fully expect to hear more from this fine gent and the amazing collection of wizards who attend to him. I thought they were all superhuman due the increased oxygen down at sea level! But they did all this in the mountains of Colorado.

There is more...but if you get any tickle out of his delivery, buy the DVD and/or CD...they come in a custom origami case that will never fit with the rest of your collection.

Quite fitting for this unique individual.

http://www.myspace.com/iancooke

http://www.last.fm/music/Ian+Cooke

Finally got to listen to it through a great surround sound system, at a client's house out in W.Bloomfield...since my studio is temporarily in storage...and the mix is spot on. These cats really know what they're doing. Takes the music to another dimension, and will become my proof to those I'm trying to educate HERE about how production quality can affect enjoyment of reproduced music.

ccbatson Guest

Quirky and interesting...thanks Gannon.

Yeah, quirky...great term. He obviously has Asperger's Syndrome, too.

Luckily, he found a support team...and it is apparently growing!

You're very much welcome!

He's unique, that's 4 sure

ccbatson Guest

Talented? Yes, unmatched or unprecedented? Nah.