Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Music School Brings Positive Note to Struggling City

In honor of MSU/UM rivalry week, here's an article describing MSU's College of Music opening a Detroit campus. Seems like a lot of positive things are really going on in that neighborhood.

http://statenews.com/index.php/artic...musical_relief

Maybe the kids could sing or jazz their way out the ghettos. Sigh. I think less money should be spent on Arts and Music, and more money spent on Science, Math and general life skills that would actually help them in their future.

-Tahleel

I saw a marching band marching down 3rd past MLK the other day when I was driving home from school. When I drove home the next day, the bums were still there. So obviously the music didn't help.

This is a great addition to our neighborhood and I welcome any opportunities for kids to be exposed to music and arts in the city. This wouldn't need to exist if arts and music hadn't already been mostly cut out of the Detroit Public Schools budget. This isn't a ticket out of the 'hood, it's enrichment to supplement a well-rounded education. Students who are involved in music are far more likely to succeed in the classroom than those who aren't.
    Props to MSU for coming here.