Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Faygo & Bon Appetit Mag

I was reading the Sept. issue of Bon Appetit and they were rating root beers. Faygo was no. 1 out of the 6 they rated. It was described as dry and crisp, with a frothy head, a good bite, and a long finish. Now for the shocker: $2.55 for a 12 oz glass bottle from some internet mail order place called sodapopshop.com in LA.

Now aren't we lucky. We can get a couple 2 liters for the price of one 12 oz from this place. They offer Rock & Rye, Cream Soda, Red Pop, Grape, Orange and Vernors all with an old timey [[ not paper) label. Not sure what years these label designs were from. Other brands are offered including some imports too like Coca Cola from Mexico. Many were sold out.

Enter Store

The glass bottle is the ORIGINAL sugared formula that I've been talking about for some time.

it is head and shoulders above the poisoned High Fructose Corn Syrup version that is packaged in plastic.

There is NO comparison.

Available at Pure Detroit for just over a buck and a quarter a bottle, warm.

To think of the conversation I had with their factory rep when I was with the deli downtown earlier this year...he warned me that they were planning on CANCELING the whole product line.

I told him to wait, it would catch on.

Told him I was more excited about soda than I'd been in twenty years.

Great to have some validation from an independent source, thanks for the heads-up MsAmslex!

Congrats Faygo!

That Soda Pop shop in LA looks impressive. I know Detroit has its party stores for beer and soda, but in the metro area are there any good stores that only carry beer or soda? FYI, in NY they are called "beverage marts." I know there was Towne Club for sodas, but that's about it from what I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    To think of the conversation I had with their factory rep when I was with the deli downtown earlier this year...he warned me that they were planning on CANCELING the whole product line.

I told him to wait, it would catch on.

Told him I was more excited about soda than I'd been in twenty years.

Great to have some validation from an independent source, thanks for the heads-up MsAmslex!
    Did you just call it soda? :-/

Yeah, born and raised here, but have always called it soda.

You could imagine the shite I've gotten all my life because of it.

'Soda' sounds almost healthy, 'pop' just feels harsh.

[[more of the apparent Englishman from a past life sneaking through, I'd guess!)

Two weeks ago, Holiday Market in Royal Oak had faygo in the bottles by the six-pack. Picked up some rock and rye, red pop, and orange. They usually have it in the summer and cheaper than the mail order place. If you are looking for Michigan made products Holiday Market is the place to try.

They also carry it at Honey Bee on Bagley, Oakridge Mkts and Sheena's Market in Romeo.

You're welcome Gannon.

I neglected to mention in my post the other root beers Faygo was compared to:

2. Fitz's Premiium Root Beer.
    3. Jackson Hole Soda Co. Buckin Root Beer
    4. Olde Rhode Island Molasses Root Beer
    5. Sioux City Root Beer
    6. Zuberfizz Creamy Root Beer

I didn't know Faygo & Vernors made the old fashioned way was available here and it's cheaper than buying it from soda pop stop. I'm amazed at how many brands and varieties of pop are available in the world. Looking at the website there were very few I'd heard of and like I said many were sold out.

What xD_Brklyn said. Galco's is not w/o controversy;
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/52734
    But for god's sake, that's the block where Mr. Pink flees the LAPD in "Reservoir Dogs"
    http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/r/reservoir.html
    and it's a mile East of where the leader of the free world went to college;
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_156418.html

Although Stevia has been once-again reclassified by our wonderfully corporate-bought FDA as a legal sweetener, I am unaware of Vernor's going back to it as their sweetener.

I am eagerly awaiting it, though.

ALL the Faygo original formula soda-POPs are fantastic, to my tongue, but the Rock-n-Rye and Rootbeer had the greatest impact on me. R-n-R alone threw me back twenty years or more, and made me understand why I stopped drinking it when they went to High Fructose Corn Syrup for sweetening.

Somehow all HFCS-sweetened drinks seem thin, lifeless, and without any body to their flavor and aroma.

Same with Mexican Coke and Pepsi, also available at Honeybee. They are the greatest! [[and I bet big money after trying it that NONE of you will ever pass their guacamole trap just inside the front doors, either!)
    Last edited by Gannon; September-29-09 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Although Stevia has been once-again reclassified by our wonderfully corporate-bought FDA as a legal sweetener, I am unaware of Vernor's going back to it as their sweetener.

I am eagerly awaiting it, though.

ALL the Faygo original formula soda-POPs are fantastic, to my tongue, but the Rock-n-Rye and Rootbeer had the greatest impact on me. R-n-R alone threw me back twenty years or more, and made me understand why I stopped drinking it.

Somehow all HFCS-sweetened drinks seem thin, lifeless, and without and body to their flavor and aroma.

Same with Mexican Coke and Pepsi, also available at Honeybee. They are the greatest! [[and I bet big money after trying it that NONE of you will ever pass their guacamole trap just inside the front doors, either!)
    I can't get past the guac OR the salsa. Merely the best.

What I want to know is where that Galco joint in LA is getting Vernor's in a glass bottle.

Mexico never bought the HFCS lie, and fought it off due their extensive sugar industry, so no doubt Mexican Vernors uses sugar instead of HFCS poison.
    Last edited by Gannon; September-29-09 at 12:46 PM.