Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City-owned nuclear power plant??

Is this guy serious?

Vision, work ethic backed as business woes dog

'I want to be a solutions man'

BY NAOMI R. PATTON
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

On election night in November 2005, supporters and friends told then-Detroit City Council candidate Jai-Lee Dearing it was mathematically impossible for him to lose. At least two of the local TV stations called Dearing the winner for the ninth spot on City Council.

So Dearing left the victory party at his nightclub Bert's on Broadway to go to sleep. He woke the next morning, placing 10th with 87,299 votes, losing to Brenda Jones, who received 90,669 votes.

"I was just devastated," said Dearing, 37.

Four years later, Dearing is back.

The fourth-generation entrepreneur who operates Bert's Marketplace at Eastern Market with his father, Bert Dearing, finds himself a month away from another general election as a council candidate, who placed eighth in the August primary and continues polling among the top nine candidates.

But Jai-Lee Dearing's foibles as a businessman, including a litany of unpaid bills, various code violations for his business and business license issues, are dogging his campaign.

This wasn't so apparent earlier this month, when Dearing was in his element -- speaking to a group of seniors at Virginia Park Meadows.

Heads nodded as Dearing talked about bringing revenue to the city in the form of: beefing up the city's EMS services to compete with private medical transportation services; leasing city-owned land to private businesses, and getting the city into the utility business by building and operating a city-owned nuclear power plant.

"I want to be a solutions man," Dearing told them.

There were a lot of "hmmm-hmmms" when he talked about regionalizing transportation in the city, decrying the cuts to city bus service that would leave some of his Bert's Marketplace employees without transportation.

Beatrice Stephens, a Virginia Park resident, said she voted for Dearing in 2005 and 2009.

"It makes sense what he's talking about," she said.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009092...iness-woes-dog-

A city run nuclear power plant is a great idea. I think Belle Isle would be a good location. The city's and council's sterling management record should allay any fears of possible accidents.

The only problem with this is the proliferation issue. Do we really think L Brooks Patterson is going to stand by, let a nuclear Detroit go unchecked and allow a nuclear gap to be created?

Detroit's own nuke plant? This is just to scare us because Halloween is close, right?

Other than the Three Mile Island hiccup and that Chernobyl issue, nuclear is awesome.

What about Livonia? I'm sure no one wants a repeat of that awful war.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    A city run nuclear power plant is a great idea. I think Belle Isle would be a good location. The city's and council's sterling management record should allay any fears of possible accidents.

The only problem with this is the proliferation issue. Do we really think L Brooks Patterson is going to stand by, let a nuclear Detroit go unchecked and allow a nuclear gap to be created?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Is this guy serious?
    Don't worry. I'm sure that, in another day or two, we'll see a statement from the Deering camp that the nuclear power plant quote was actually said by his campaign manager or someone else, other than Deering himself.

Maybe we can make some short-range missiles also. You never can trust those Canadians too much, y'know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Don't worry. I'm sure that, in another day or two, we'll see a statement from the Deering camp that the nuclear power plant quote was actually said by his campaign manager or someone else, other than Deering himself.
    He can't possibly be serious, and it will be interesting to see his reply to questions about this.
    Reminds me of the glowing descriptions of the state of the art incinerator, years ago. "There will be virtually no odors produced by the incineration process..."
    No mention was made of the reeking malodorous mess from garbage piled for weeks, awaiting the incineration process.

BTW: Bert's has had excellent live music for years...

dfunkycity Guest

I don't believe the world is ready for a nuclear Detroit

Livonia , Rochester, and the other burbs may impose sanctions on our city if we go that route and possibly the Burbs might just feel threatened about a nuclear Detroit .

For God's sake people. Livonia will have no choice but to destroy the plant for fear of nuclear power in the hands of the evil city council.

Sludgedaddy Guest

...to quote Bela Lugosi from an old Ed Wood opus: : " I vill create a race of atomic supermen !!!!"

I would be more comfortable with Iran having the bomb than the City of Detroit building a nuclear power plant.

By the way, where do they expect to get the several billion dollars to build it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Maybe we can make some short-range missiles also. You never can trust those Canadians too much, y'know.
    We used to have them. http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2009/...r-missile.html

I'm sure that North Korea would sell them one.

Retroit Guest

This is entirely possible. I don't think Detroit Shitty Clown Show would have any problem with it. Could you imagine what the kickback would be from a nuclear power plant?

It’s crazier to think of where Detroit is going to get the $9 billion to build a nuclear power station. Of course they could always ghetto-rig it like the Russians do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I can't find any humour in such a sick suggestion.

Yeah, besides that Ray, you are too late on the missile idea. The Sterling Heights missile plant has been shut down for decades.
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1199470928

We have the eloquent elder Mistersky plant and the 70's sky blue wall new plant, what more could anyone in the let's-get-the-city-into-utilities business want? Need we mention Public Lighting?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    BTW: Bert's has had excellent live music for years...

And he's a notorious slum-lord.