Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hart Plaza: No Dogs Allowed!

Yesterday I took my dogs for a walk through Hart Plaza, as we have done a countless times before. This time they lead me down the stairs into one of the underground stage areas. A security guard came out and politely told me that dogs are not allowed in Hart Plaza.

Rules are rules, so I acknowledged him and we went on our way. When we went up the stairs I noticed no less than 5 other dogs in the area. Everytime we go there I notice plenty of four-legged-friends.

The guy told me there are signs posted at all the downtown parks that dogs are not allowed. Can anyone confirm this? I have never seen a "no dogs allowed" sign at any Detroit park. I think it is rediculous that in such an empty civic center plaza, my dogs are not welcome. Any thoughts?

<end rant>

I could see that rule being enforced during a crowded festival, and there's always the problem of people not cleaning up after their pooches... but that seems extreme. I wonder if they're worried about liability if someone gets bit?

Dog walking is encouraged on both the Riverwalk and the Dequindre Cut. There are plastic bag dispensers located along both walkways to make prompt clean-up more likely.

Maybe he just meant in the lower level stage area? Nobody wants to sit in doggie waste, and pooches might wanna use the concrete bleacher seating for a urinal..

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Dog walking is encouraged on both the Riverwalk and the Dequindre Cut. There are plastic bag dispensers located along both walkways to make prompt clean-up more likely.
    However, you still have people who believe that other people will clean up their shit.

Last week, I was over at the Riverwalk riding between the Ren Cen and Rivard Plaza. There was dogshit on the walk.

Some people just can't pickup after themselves, or their dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSTAR View Post

I have never seen a "no dogs allowed" sign at any Detroit park. I think it is rediculous that in such an empty civic center plaza, my dogs are not welcome. Any thoughts?

<end rant>
    I believe bicycles are not allowed either. The signs use to be posted overhead on the light poles, white text on blue background. I'll snap a pic as I bike thru there later. I wouldn't worry about it too much, the last time someone was written a ticket for breaking a dog law on the city books was like a hundred years ago.

There's a pretty nice park by my house [[I think its on Brush), in the New Center. I thought about walking my dog there. It does say "NO DOGS ALLOWED," yellow print, brown wood sign.

-Tahleel

Wonder what they are going to do next week when the "Mega March for Animals" is going on. It starts in Hart Plaza. I will be going again for sure. Not sure if I am taking the pooch with me or not though.

http://www.michiganhumane.org/site/T...=1320&pg=entry

I thought Hart had a no dogs policy ever since it was built. Mostly concrete and the last place you'd want to step in something at night.

I have only been stopped once walking my dog through Hart Plaza and that was when they were setting up for a festival. However, I told the security guard that I just cutting through to get home and unless they were going to ban the kids from Hart Plaza, who were creating more damage than my 13 lb. dog, then they weren't going to ban my dog.

As for those dog owners who don't clean-up after their dogs, they should be banned from owning a pet. It drives me crazy when I see this. There have been times I felt like picking their $hit up with my extra baggie and flinging it at them.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    But the best route to the riverwalk from most parts of downtown is through Hart Plaza. What are people supposed to do, take their dogs through the RenCen lobby?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    But the best route to the riverwalk from most parts of downtown is through Hart Plaza. What are people supposed to do, take their dogs through the RenCen lobby?
    I guess that's what Rivard Plaza was for.

Retroit Guest

"Pets
    • Keep pets on leashes and be prepared to clean up after them
    • Remove pets from the area if the begin to fight or bother other animals or guests
    • Pet owners must remain with pets at ALL times
    • Holes dug by dogs must be filled in by their owner
    • All pets should be licensed [[with tags and collar on) and vaccinated"
    [[source: http://www.detroitriverfront.org/east/hartplaza/etiquette.asp )

Sec. 40-1-18: "No dogs shall be permitted within the confines of any park, playground or public place, unless such dogs shall be attached to a leash not to exceed six [[6) feet in length; such leash to be of sufficient strength to hold such animal in constant check. Tying animals by a leash which exceeds six [[6) feet in length to any tree, shrub, structure or other fixture or thing is strictly forbidden."

[[source: http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...d=10649&sid=22 )

Squirrels and rats have no such restrictions, although hamsters and gerbils might require leashes

I hear you Star, I took my poodle there to one of the festivals and was politly told to take my dog to the riverwalk or leave the plaza. I was mad than a mug.

I went to Eastern Market a few years back and was politely told to ditch my dog. A few weeks later, saw signs there saying No Dogs allowed. I enjoy taking my dog out and about. We carry baggies for any "accidents".

Dogs in an outdoor venue should be allowed. They are way less annoying then screaming children. Our dog is perfectly socialized. He loves everyone [[including the damned rabbit that feeds in my garden).

If I am in a public situation I just assume that their dogs are civil. If that were not the case they would be looking at lawsuits.

My husband and I are part time vendors at West Park Market. Always take our dog. Lots of dog friendly people there. As I run around with errands in the neighborhood I get stopped by people who know my dog, not me. They want updates on my silly looking little dog.

Most of our friends have pets. It is an accepted practice to bring along the pooch. For posterity, my dog's favorite friends are Pepper, Sarge and Skye. Skye is a fabulously good looking Pitbull. As a rule I don't care for Pitbulls. Dogs of distruction are not my style. Skye is the exception to the rule.