Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Governor Granholm Says

The State has to be very cautious with medicinal marijuana, because she believes it is a gateway drug.

And she's from British Columbia, Canada, where they have a far more lax policy on recreational use. The voters have had they're say - now make a policy.

Default Granholm: gateway drug

Yeah, I found that statement surprising. I thought that "gateway drug" argument had been pretty much thoroughly debunked.

From today's Detroit News: Dozens register for medical marijuana
    Gov. Jennifer Granholm, who opposed the measure, said the state will work to make sure things go smoothly. She remains cautious, however.
    "It's a gateway drug, and it's got to be done very carefully," she said, referring to the distribution of medicinal pot.
    Maybe there's some missing context around her quote?

Jimaz,

Granholm does believe it is a gateway drug, and is against the legalization of marijuana.

Her belief stems from her time as attorney general, where she says she saw far too many lives ruined from marijuana use, and the fact that the more serious drug cases she worked on generally began with marijuana.

spiritofdetroit
    Her belief stems from her time as attorney general, where she says she saw far too many lives ruined from marijuana use, and the fact that the more serious drug cases she worked on generally began with marijuana.
    So what have we gained in 40 to 80 years + of active drug enforcement ? People will still find a way, and we throw billions at the problem without any gain. Remember Prohibition ? What does anybody find wrong with medicinal marijuana for cancer/terminal disease patients ? And they can grow their own.
    I've also seen County Deputies at a table with confiscated drugs, smoking their found material. What is the gain ?

spritofdetroit, thanks. I didn't know that about her. You learn something new every day.

ccbatson Guest

Used recreationally, it may be [[a gateway) for some people...not most.

Default Granholm Says

I wonder if the Governor would care to comment about all the problems she has seen with alcohol abuse.

ccbatson Guest

A good, if not great point, however, 2 wrongs do not make a right either.

http://www.physorg.com/news84468374.html

Pitt study refudiating the "gateway hypothesis" for the much more rational common liability hypothesis [[if it is easier to get "a" than "b", people will get "a" instead)

I thought medicinal marijuana was supposed to only be available by doctor's prescription to people suffering intense pain.... many of whom are probably terminal. So what's the difference whether it's a 'gateway drug' or not. Most of the users probably won't be around long enough to progress to the next drug anyway.

ccbatson Guest

Assuming that severe pain implies a terminal diagnosis is erroneous. Chronic and nonspecific pain is a huge and high volume issue in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Assuming that severe pain implies a terminal diagnosis is erroneous. Chronic and nonspecific pain is a huge and high volume issue in the US.

Good point, so let me amend my comment. Since 'medicinal' marijuana is administered at the doctor's discretion it should be treated like any other prescription drug. Whether it is a 'geteway drug' or not is irreverent.

I think the Gov. listened to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tm8EJaoFO8

Marijuana is not for the pain, but rather the nausea associated with various treatments, ie. chemo and radiation

Interesting. Every person I know who uses the bud has never gone on to more harsher drugs. Most are professionals from elected officials, to doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. yet they don't touch hard stuff. Some in fact cut out drinking because of teh heavy side effects of the hang-over, being bloated, cost [[a doobie is cheaper than 6+ beers).

Most heavy drug users have additive personalities and would be addicted to any narcotic only to move on to more serious drugs regardless of what they were.

Gateway drug my ass....

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Interesting. Every person I know who uses the bud has never gone on to more harsher drugs. Most are professionals from elected officials, to doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. yet they don't touch hard stuff. Some in fact cut out drinking because of teh heavy side effects of the hang-over, being bloated, cost [[a doobie is cheaper than 6+ beers).

Most heavy drug users have additive personalities and would be addicted to any narcotic only to move on to more serious drugs regardless of what they were.

Gateway drug my ass....
    Nicotine is a harder habit to break than heroin

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Nicotine is a harder habit to break than heroin
    tell me about it. hard-core nic addict here

ccbatson Guest

A small percentage follow the path of escalation from Marijuana to harder drugs...as many or more follow that path from alcohol.