Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: lowland park

Default lowland park

Does anyone know when the part of the riverfront titled "Lowland Park" is set to open?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Does anyone know when the part of the riverfront titled "Lowland Park" is set to open?
    preview today

The preview is today of the new Lowland area. Tour Boats are running through the early afternoon on short 45 minute trips to showcase the waterfront on the Detroit Side of the River.

More:
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/developme...ark092209.aspx

Do you know the actual opening for everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    The preview is today of the new Lowland area. Tour Boats are running through the early afternoon on short 45 minute trips to showcase the waterfront on the Detroit Side of the River.

Here are some photos and a brief write-up on today's sneak peak at the Tri-Centennial State Park/Detroit RiverWalk.

I was wondering too. I was walking along the riverfront recently and saw this part all fenced off. It looks like it is all ready.

detroit is notorious in delaying openings of anything. lots of red tape and laxed attitudes of leaders

I had heard the the park's opening had been delayed until next year. That is the norm for Detroit and it's projects. It make you wonder whom is tampering with the money causing the delay of many projects in Detroit.

Dunno about any of these delays, but I do know that crews are still laying the sidewalk which gradually slopes away from the River to get around the hill and slip at Tri-Centennial.... so technically, construction is not completed yet....

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had heard the the park's opening had been delayed until next year. That is the norm for Detroit and it's projects. It make you wonder whom is tampering with the money causing the delay of many projects in Detroit.
    You are clearly ignorant of the facts surrounding this project.
    • This is not a city of Detroit project.
    • No city money has ever been involved in this project.

According to the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy web site, "The State anticipates having the second phase of Tri-Centennial open to the public in October of 2009."

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    You are clearly ignorant of the facts surrounding this project.
    • This is not a city of Detroit project.
    • No city money has ever been involved in this project.
    According to the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy web site, "The State anticipates having the second phase of Tri-Centennial open to the public in October of 2009."
    That is what the report say. You and I both know that the city is slow to open anything ontime. Look at the Kresge shopping mini mall. Why still have the sign up if you are not going to open summer of 2009. It is a big farce. Expecially with all of the corruption that is going on in this city. Hands are being dipped in any pot that doesn't belong to the city.

Tri-Centennial State Park is no more! Okay, okay. It's actually been renamed to honor Governor Milliken...

Does anyone know the reason for the mound adjacent to the lowland park, who owns that parcel and why is it not part of the expansion. They are working on the path that connects with Atwater street about a block and a half the the Dequindere Cut connection so it would have been nice to incorporate a portion of that parcel for a better connection.
    I wish they would provide a similar pathway adjacent to the rail lines from Michigan Central Station to extend the riverfront path beyond the area around Joe Louis.

The large mound is toxic dirt. It is the remnants of the sites previous industrial background. It is supposed to eventually be integrated into the park.

The plan is to continue the riverfront path all the way to the Ambassador bridge. All they need is a large basket of cash.

I think the mound is to keep the wildlife in the park instead of venturing out onto atwater street. It probably is put there to shield the serenity of the park from the hustle and bustle scene of the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by leady106 View Post
    Does anyone know the reason for the mound adjacent to the lowland park, who owns that parcel and why is it not part of the expansion. They are working on the path that connects with Atwater street about a block and a half the the Dequindere Cut connection so it would have been nice to incorporate a portion of that parcel for a better connection.
    All of the land at Milliken State Park is owned by the city of Detroit. However, the DNR has a 99-year lease to develop and operate a state park on the land, including the grassy mound.

The state park is being developed in phases because the funding is coming from a variety of grants and the DNR can't find enough grant money to do it all at once. Even the lowland park is two projects in one due to the grant funding sources. The lowland park path will take you further along Atwater, but not to the Dequindre Cut.

The next phase of development will continue the trail to the Dequindre Cut and be that better connection you mention. It will also figure out what to do with the mound, as ndavies mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by leady106 View Post
    I wish they would provide a similar pathway adjacent to the rail lines from Michigan Central Station to extend the riverfront path beyond the area around Joe Louis.
    There is some discussion about this but it is too premature to comment. Also, it would more likely be a Greater Corktown Development Corp. [[GCDC) project. The GCDC expects their Corktown/Mexicantown Greenlink to begin construction next year. That's 16 miles of bike lanes. Some of those bike lanes will begin to close the gap between Corktown and the RiverWalk.