Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Forumer Featured on CNN

Woke up this morning, turned on the tube and had a forumer staring back at me.

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/assignment_detroit/

Caught a glimpse of the Teleway Hamburger joint and it's owner yesterday on CNN. Hadn't have been for that police/chase/accident/fatality, they probably would have remained obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Caught a glimpse of the Teleway Hamburger joint and it's owner yesterday on CNN. Hadn't have been for that police/chase/accident/fatality, they probably would have remained obscure.
    Actually the Telway Diner featured in the CNN story is the one in Madison Heights located at 11 Mile and John R. The current owner bought the place in 1944!

Interesting series of videos on various Detroit topics...

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Actually the Telway Diner featured in the CNN story is the one in Madison Heights located at 11 Mile and John R. The current owner bought the place in 1944!

Probably more like 1974
    Earl's 79 years old, he was 14 years old in 1944.And he did not inherit the business.
    A little inside info also- I worked for Earl 68-72 at the Telegraph location.[[along with Earl's kids, 1 is in that news story)
    At that time Earl was the manager, buying into the chain.
    The original Telway owner was a Texan named Lex Sampson, his brother Les owned all the 'Les' Giant' burger stands.
    [[Even CNN misses the obvious...)

Interesting series of videos on various Detroit topics...
    Indeed, though- the restaurant in the story is the Madison Heights location.

Ravine Guest

No disrespect intended toward you, Sarge, because it wasn't your work [[as far as I know,) but the video was boring, unenlightening, and provided no insight into anything.

So who the hell was the "forumer?"

I thought it was you Ravine.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I thought it was you Ravine.
    Woof! Woof!

Ravine Guest

Well, shit; I've been "outed."

I am, in fact, the aging hag who appears near the end and, like everyone else in the clip, has absolutely nothing interesting to say.

Follow the lil' canine!

to five, no less.......

Ravine- there is more than one clip on that site. You didn't stay tuned long enough.

Ravine Guest

Ah!! Thanks for just explaining it, Pam. I get it, now. Blondy. Tres bien.

There is a very short list of reasons why I do still come around here, and you are, and have always been, on it.

Thanks for the link, sarge. It's well worth bookmarking to watch for future developments.

What is CNN's interest in doing this series? I'm guessing they're thinking the rest of the country just might be interested in how Detroit has been coping with what they're just beginning to experience.

In one of those videos the comment was made that many Detroiters are having to resort to "not working in their field." To me that means many have more to contribute than they are allowed to contribute. They're having to compromise on what they are allowed to contribute to the recovery. Maybe there's a seed for improvement there.