Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another Council Candidate who just needs a job?

http://detnews.com/article/20090925/...candidate-Pugh

Charles Pugh behind on Condo payments... says"
    Pugh acknowledged today owing the debt but said he doesn't have the money to pay. He left his job at Fox 2 and his radio show at WJLB in March to run for City Council.
    Advertisement

"When I start to make money, I will pay," Pugh said. "It's very difficult not working."

Okay, I like Pugh, I really do - but I don't understand this. It was said that that other Ch. 2 anchor Fanchon Stinger made over 300k in her position. Was Charles Pugh making much less? I would think he made as much, if not more. He has no kids, no ex-wife, didn't live in a mansion - does he have NO savings?????

And then he also worked at the radio station - isn't that a separate salary?

I mean, I really don't try to calculate other folk's money because I certainly have my own struggles, but I don't make anywhere near six figures a year. So when I read stories like this, and they say they have no money - WTF???? I don't get it!!!!

Retroit Guest

He should have thought about that before quiting his job. Glad to see he had enough money to pay to appear on Mildred Gaddis' show. Sounds like he has his priorities in order and can make wise financial decisions [[for a politician).

Sued over $1400? House in foreclosure for a mere $2400? Are his money management skills that poor, or does he really make "regular folks" money - is the cc job more than what he was making? Sorry, I'm just flabbergasted cuz I wish I made more money and people out there taking baths in it and can't pay their bills?

If he can't manage his own financial affairs, why would he be trusted with the public purse?

"A University of Missouri Journalism School study estimates anchors in the 25 biggest TV markets are making an average of $130,000 this year. But the overall average is $47,000, and most of the jobs are in small markets where the average is $26,000."

News anchors and radio personalities make decent money, but not luxurious living. If he's making the $47K that the average stated, and lets say another $20K from his radio gig, its $67K. For most single people living in the suburbs, that is enough. But he choose to live in a luxurious condo in the City [[I'm sure he paid full price and has a hefty mortgage), that has a milage rate of four-five times almost every other city in the nearby area. Along with spending tons of money on work [[buying expensive clothes, food, and etc), I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't able to save much.

Your dream job is often the one that pays the least.

-Tahleel

So was that inaccurate about what Fanchon Stinger was making??? I thought it was an outrageous salary for a talking head, but that's what was reported. If he was really making less than 100k then that does make more sense - however, it still begs the question of why he quit his job for a shot at a job that paid not much more or less - what kind of dollars does he really think the cc job offers????

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    So was that inaccurate about what Fanchon Stinger was making??? I thought it was an outrageous salary for a talking head, but that's what was reported. If he was really making less than 100k then that does make more sense - however, it still begs the question of why he quit his job for a shot at a job that paid not much more or less - what kind of dollars does he really think the cc job offers????
    I highly doubt she was making $300K a year. "The council spot pays $81,312 and the council president makes $85,456." As quoted from the article. Let's say he's making $50-80K [[from the two gigs), its a smart move to run for city council, which would be a pay increase, and also give him a bigger hand in changing Detroit.

-Tahleel

It was widely reported that Fanchon Stinger made over 300K a year. Even Fox 2, her former employer, reported it. I doubt, however, that Charles' was making as much as Fanchon. She was the weekday morning anchor, while Charles anchored weekends and reported during the week. I suspect he made between 150K-200K at Fox.

Also...it costs a fortune to run for office. Printing flyers and signs, etc is not cheap. Yes, you have campaign contributions, but I was told about 15 years ago that running for council in a very small suburban city could cost $15,000. Adjusted for inflation today, and adjusting for the City of Detroit, I can see how someone would burn through whatever savings they might have, especially when they are not working, and all the campaign contributions. With all the unemployment in the City, I can't imagine that contributions are running very high.

Regardless of what he was making in both of his former gigs, the fact that he has had trouble on the past two residences he has owned shows poor fiscal acumen at best. Is this the type of person you want to lead council in drawing up a $1.5 BILLION dollar budget? He might be a nice guy and certainly not the worst of the worst, but if this is the level of dreck rising to the top to lead the city, lord help us all...

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    If he can't manage his own financial affairs, why would he be trusted with the public purse?
    EXACTLY!
    I'm glad this story is out now.

I remember when Frank Turn left channel 7 a few years ago. It was widely reported that his salary was $260K, so I don't think that the $300K number for Fanchon is out of line. I can't imagine that Charles Pugh made less than $150K when compared to these others.

Also, his taxes aren't as high as previously stated here. Those condos are in the NEZ and have a 12 year tax reduction [[60% if I recall correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    "A University of Missouri Journalism School study estimates anchors in the 25 biggest TV markets are making an average of $130,000 this year. But the overall average is $47,000, and most of the jobs are in small markets where the average is $26,000."

News anchors and radio personalities make decent money, but not luxurious living. If he's making the $47K that the average stated, and lets say another $20K from his radio gig, its $67K. For most single people living in the suburbs, that is enough. But he choose to live in a luxurious condo in the City [[I'm sure he paid full price and has a hefty mortgage), that has a milage rate of four-five times almost every other city in the nearby area. Along with spending tons of money on work [[buying expensive clothes, food, and etc), I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't able to save much.

Your dream job is often the one that pays the least.

-Tahleel
    Yes "overall" average is $47k but surely Detroit is one of the top 25 if not top 10 markets given the size of the metro-area. My guess is that he made a six figure salary.

Quote Originally Posted by RayStar View Post
    EXACTLY!
    I'm glad this story is out now.
    But does it matter that it's out? Do Detroit voters care? How many of the top vote getters had/have financial problems/issues?

Sometimes it seems voters in Detroit will oust Bing for cutting union jobs while voting in people who can't handle their own finances.

Buy American Guest

"Detroit City Council Candidate Sued
    Updated: Friday, 25 Sep 2009, 9:09 PM EDT
    Published : Friday, 25 Sep 2009, 9:09 PM EDTA former Fox 2 employee and candidate for Detroit City Council is the target of a lawsuit. Charles Pugh is being sued by his condo association.

The lawsuit claims he owes more than 14-hundred dollars in unpaid fees to the Woodward Place at Brush Park. Pugh left his position at Fox 2 and another at a radio station to run for city council.

He released the following statement.

"Deciding to leave two jobs to run for Detroit City Council has required great financial sacrifice. This lawsuit is a reflection of that, and will be handled as soon as possible. I do not regret my decision to run. I only regret that this personal matter has to be handled publicly."

Where did he think his income was going to come from, the fairy godmother? Some better planning on his part before he ran for office could have avoided any publicity about his finances. Here is someone who wants to run the City of Detroit...an already financially strapped city....and he can't even handle his own let alone someone elses.

Charles...running for public office puts you and your finances out there for scrutiny...if you don't want that to happen, don't run. People in the City of Detroit have a right to know how you handle your own life before they allow you to handle what goes on in Detroit.

" I only regret that this personal matter has to be handled publicly."

That's a pretty funny statement coming from a newsman who gets paid to shine the spotlight on people's personal lives, lol. You would think of all people, HE would understand how it works and be prepared for it.

If people are ready to dump Kenyatta for his foreclosure, then you know they will hold this against Pugh.

ziggyselbin Guest

It is my understanding that in the days of Bill Bonds and John Kelly and Mort Crim that indeed salaries were upward of two hundred thou; those days are long gone.

When you can't pay your own bills, you don't need to be applying for a position where you will be deciding where the money goes, especially my tax money. I have to agree with Buy american on this one.

When I spoke with Charles Pugh at the Dyes spring picnic, he said that the City's budget problems were a matter of common sense. "Don't spend more than you bring in, if you can't do that, you shouldn't be on Council."

I was right there with Gnome. That's what Pugh said.

Stromberg2

Well he was always a funny guy!

I am not surprised that someone would make a thread with the intent of being snarky.

Because Pugh is running for City Council, this is a story. One of THOUSANDS. Remember that Pugh had to quit his jobs because he was in the media. [[Reporting the news and being in the middle of Synagro cost Stinger her job) It would have been inproper for him to stay on the jobs and run for political office. I am sure that if he was a teacher or a doctor he could have either worked part-time or taken an leave but sometimes you have give up something to get something. The fact that he is broke like everyone else only tells me that he is just everyone else struggling to get by.

Just reading some of the responses just make understand that this board has perfect human beings who because of DNA cannot commit any errors

I don't think better or worse of Pugh. With this economy, everyones money is funny. I don't plan on voting for him mainly because I think it would be ludicrous to have a first termer be council president. I plan to plunk my vote. Ken Crockrel and Kwame Kenyatta. Kenyatta recently took a walk from his home. He survived the fall out. Barrow, as mayor, is a person of interest too. Bing has not impressed me so far. I am just tired of the good old boys club be they white or black.

I live in EEV and a newish neighbor said their taxes were $7500 a year. That is just plain nuts. We are tax protected and I think our taxes are too high for services rendered. I love my city and my neighborhood but property taxes need to fall in line. A very nice colonial near here is going for $13,000 dollars. If taxes are that high its no deal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I am not surprised that someone would make a thread with the intent of being snarky.

Because Pugh is running for City Council, this is a story. One of THOUSANDS. Remember that Pugh had to quit his jobs because he was in the media. [[Reporting the news and being in the middle of Synagro cost Stinger her job) It would have been inproper for him to stay on the jobs and run for political office. I am sure that if he was a teacher or a doctor he could have either worked part-time or taken an leave but sometimes you have give up something to get something. The fact that he is broke like everyone else only tells me that he is just everyone else struggling to get by.

Just reading some of the responses just make understand that this board has perfect human beings who because of DNA cannot commit any errors
    It's been no secret that he was going to run for office. That has been known for over 2 years. From statements made by him when saying what he was giving up his job to run for Council, it's safe to say that his salaries combined for over $250,000.00 per year. Proper planning should dictate that he would have to set money aside to pay his bills for the period of time that he wouldn't work. Add having not done that with the fact that he's gone through this before lets me know that this is a man that isn't financially responsible. If he can't maintain his finances while making over $250,000.00 a year, he's not going to be able to on a City Council Members salary. That's a recipe for a kickback Council Member.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast