Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pictures from Grumpyoldlady

Here's the photos that Grumpy received in an email that she wanted to share with all. Glad to help her out as some had to be resized and worked on. Grump has an injured hand at this time, also, which compounded the whole thing. Anyway, glad to post there here for her for all to enjoy.

Since I'm held to only five photos per post, this will be a series of four posts to get all 20 in.
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:41 PM.

Here's the next set.
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:40 PM.

And the next.

And a few more.

And the final three.

Great images. Thanks for sharing Grumpyoldlady. I love the shot of the trolley and the Vernors delivery truck. Can anybody identify the locations of some of these shots?

Ray1936. You sir, are a true gentleman.

Thank you GOL for the pictures and to you Ray for helping her post them. What is the area where the roller coaster is?[[the one with the street view)

Retroit Guest

First roller coaster: Electric Park at foot of Belle Isle bridge.
    Second Roller Coaster: Bob-Lo
    Last edited by Retroit; September-25-09 at 04:50 PM.

I've seen some of these pictures on the Wayne and Detroit transit history sites.

The amusement park at the Belle Isle Bridge was Electric Park. Gabriel Richard Park is on that site now. Eastwood was on Gratiot near 8 Mile.

Retroit Guest

Thanks, EastsideAl, it hit me a couple minutes after I first posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Second Roller Coaster: Bob-Lo
    i kinda had a feelin'. thanks

OK, let me take a crack at some of these,

Top batch begins downtown:

First is on Woodward just north of Jefferson. A very new City-County Bldg. can just be seen on the right, maybe still under construction. Has to be near the end of streetcar service.

Next is Woodward at Fort, looking southwest. City Hall on the right, Penobscot Building to the left in the background, the Hammond Building [[replaced by NBD) in front of it.

Then a streetcar on or near lower Woodward south of Jefferson next to the old Vernor's plant. Hart Plaza is here today.

A steam train crossing a very new Lodge Freeway on the tracks south of Grand Blvd.

No earthly idea.

Next set:

Brand new Davison Freeway

The above-mentioned Electric Park and the Belle Isle Bridge entrance.

The dreaded Capitol Park bus shelter.

The Woodward bridge over the soon-to-be Ford Freeway, with the stairs that were supposed to connect to bus stops on the freeway, but just ended up baffling a couple of generations of commuters.

Connie Kalitta - Sibley at Dix, baby!

OK, I'm done for now. Time to go home. But I must say that I love the drag racing pictures. Oh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    where does that road lead to and when did they tear it down?

If I remember correctly, that was just an underpass under Jefferson and up Grand Blvd.
    Last edited by jcole; September-25-09 at 06:48 PM.

"A steam train crossing a very new Lodge Freeway on the tracks south of Grand Blvd.

No earthly idea."

OK....the photo below the one of the Lodge with the steam train going over it is W. Davison, looking e. toward Woodward, BEFORE the first "expressway" was built around 1940. The following photo is same street after construction.

Thanks for these Ray & GOL. I've seen these before about a month and a half ago. Someone e-mailed these to me at my work e-mail. I think they've been making the e-mail rounds. I love the shot of the stairs going down to the construction of I-94 by Woodward.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    jcole is correct. There was a tunnel that went under Jefferson. Signs were posted "DO NOT HONK HORN". Well, can you guess what everyone did when they went through that tunnel? Off in the distance is the bridge to Belle Isle. The tunnel was taken out in 1986.

The building in front of the roller coaster was intended to be used as a streetcar waiting station, but was only ever used as a bus stop waiting station
    Last edited by Retroit; September-26-09 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Oh, I do remember generations of eastsiders on their way to Belle Isle honking their horns to hear the echo in that Grand Blvd. underpass under Jefferson, despite the signs. My grandfather did it, my dad did it, and I did it...

The bus shelter to the left of the roadway in that picture also stood until about the time they ripped out the underpass.

Electric Park, also known as Riverview Park, was gone by 1928, the victim of social reformers who didn't approve of such places. Since the current Belle Isle Bridge and the underpass were opened in 1923, that gives a rather tight time window for this photo.

Here, from the Wayne Virtual Motor City site, is a nice picture of Electric Park from the river side showing its huge dance hall and several large roller coasters:

Last edited by EastsideAl; September-26-09 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Oh, I do remember generations of eastsiders on their way to Belle Isle honking their horns to hear the echo in that Grand Blvd. underpass under Jefferson, despite the signs. My grandfather did it, my dad did it, and I did it...

The bus shelter to the left of the roadway in that picture also stood until about the time they ripped out the underpass.

Electric Park, also known as Riverview Park, was gone by 1928, the victim of social reformers who didn't approve of such places. Since the current Belle Isle Bridge and the underpass were opened in 1923, that gives a rather tight time window for this photo.

Here, from the Wayne Virtual Motor City site, is a nice picture of Electric Park from the river side showing its huge dance hall and several large roller coasters:

wow! thanks for posting that! i never even knew about the place, just imagine if the city still had a nice amusement park, itd be bringing in some good money, instead if anyone in the area wants to go to one, we have to go all the way to sandusky, ohio!

Retroit Guest

Only two things in those pix I could tell you any thing about, The tunnel to Belle Isle and the newer freeway photo. Great Pix.

[quote=Retroit;72925]jcole is correct. There was a tunnel that went under Jefferson. Signs were posted "DO NOT HONK HORN". Well, can you guess what everyone did when they went through that tunnel? Off in the distance is the bridge to Belle Isle. The tunnel was taken out in 1986.

1986? Geez, why don't I remember it? We used to hang out there in the late 70's and I would take Jefferson home sometimes from work all through the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Oh yeah - always honked the horn!

Thanks for posting these! I dig that first set, makes me wonder where the last one in the set was taken from.

Thanks Ray and GOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast