Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Archbishop-Vigneron-seeks-patron-saint-for-Detroit

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...nt-for-Detroit

The worthy Archbishop makes it too easy.
    St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...nt-for-Detroit

The worthy Archbishop makes it too easy.
    St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.
    What about Solanus Casey? Tell the Vatican to get busy and make it happen, he deserves it.

to heck with that, let's get detroit its own god

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    What about Solanus Casey? Tell the Vatican to get busy and make it happen, he deserves it.
    Has Father Solanus has the three miracles normally required for sainthood?

Sludgedaddy Guest

I'm kicking around the idea of nominating Coleman A. .......Wait a minute....I forgot ...he's the M.F.I.C of an Ice Water Concession in Hell, which makes him ineligible.

I thought it was already St. Anne [[the mother of Mary). Ste. Anne was the first church built here.

I vote for Jesús Malverde.

Retroit Guest

I think Detroit may need more than just one patron saint. Could His Excellency arrange the Twelve Apostles and the 22 Martyrs of Uganda? Heck, throw in Jesus, Mary, and Joseph just for good measure, we need all the help we can get!

Ste Claire

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I thought it was already St. Anne [[the mother of Mary). Ste. Anne was the first church built here.
    It should be St. Anne, since the church named after her is the first church founded in the future City of Detroit.

Besides, a case could be made that she is the most important saint for Christianity.

Oh, a patron saint? That should heal the city of Detroit real quick. The archdiocese can sell little patron saint statues for the poor and hungry to pray to, thereby alleviating their misery. And the archdiocese can make a bundle in the process. Nothing more satisfying than praying and repenting when you're freezing and hungry. How about if the archdiocese takes back about 60 millions dollars that cardinal 'whatshisface' spent on the Disney Pope Center in Washington DC? 60 million might put a dent in poverty. I'll bet cardinal 'whatshisface' is still smacking his lips about his reservation in heaven for sucking up to the pope, not to mention his reserved seats in fine restaurants and on the links at the best country clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Oh, a patron saint? That should heal the city of Detroit real quick. The archdiocese can sell little patron saint statues for the poor and hungry to pray to, thereby alleviating their misery. And the archdiocese can make a bundle in the process. Nothing more satisfying than praying and repenting when you're freezing and hungry. How about if the archdiocese takes back about 60 millions dollars that cardinal 'whatshisface' spent on the Disney Pope Center in Washington DC? 60 million might put a dent in poverty. I'll bet cardinal 'whatshisface' is still smacking his lips about his reservation in heaven for sucking up to the pope, not to mention his reserved seats in fine restaurants and on the links at the best country clubs.
    Are you serious?! Sorry the Archbishop wanted to do some good by naming a saint all Detroiters could pray to for intercession. In these times, any way to heal is better than nothing. How dare you say that culural center in DC is "Disney", call a Holocaust Center that and you'll be thrown out. The Center in DC gives homage to one of the greatest figures of the modern era.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Has Father Solanus has the three miracles normally required for sainthood?
    No, but when has that stopped them in the past? Here's one for you. Maybe they can consider everyone agreeing on a single person to be the patron saint of the region a miracle? I think it would be.

A lot of good it'll do to pray for the city. Ha. You ain't convincing me that praying is any better than nothing. I saw a humourous but accurate bumper sticker recently, that said: I'd Rather Think Than Pray. How much would 60 Million bucks do to alleviate suffering in this city? Your analogy to the Holocaust is pure sensationalism on your part. Bait and switch. There's no connection between the two in our debate. Don't even try it. Anyway, if truth be told, the catholic church was ambiguous about the Holocaust, if not actually complicit in it. Back to the main subject; the church was up to it's gigi in abuse. It fought and spent big time defending itself against abuse suits. It's refused its main mission of salvaging souls and alleviating poverty and suffering. It's not the mission of any true church to build edifices to popes or any other humans, no matter how heroic they may be or have been. God will take care of them. The church abandoned education in the city, leaving it to only the few parishes, mostly suburban, that can 'afford' it. Birmingham Brother Rice might be an example. I wonder if BBR would consent to sending a substantial portion of their income to support an inner city parish? Maybe the money from their sports program? How about if we implore Notre Dame University to fire their coach and dedicate his 20 plus Million dollar salary to missionary programs? I'm sorry, I find the archbishop's/cardinal's attempt to appear concerned and involved, laughable.

A lot of good it'll do to pray for the city. Ha. You ain't convincing me that praying is any better than nothing. I saw a humourous but accurate bumper sticker recently, that said: I'd Rather Think Than Pray. How much would 60 Million bucks do to alleviate suffering in this city? Your analogy to the Holocaust is pure sensationalism on your part. Bait and switch. There's no connection between the two in our debate. Don't even try it. Anyway, if truth be told, the catholic church was ambiguous about the Holocaust, if not actually complicit in it. Back to the main subject; the church was up to it's gigi in abuse. It fought and spent big time defending itself against abuse suits. It's refused its main mission of salvaging souls and alleviating poverty and suffering. It's not the mission of any true church to build edifices to popes or any other humans, no matter how heroic they may be or have been. God will take care of them. The church abandoned education in the city, leaving it to only the few parishes, mostly suburban, that can 'afford' it. Birmingham Brother Rice might be an example. I wonder if BBR would consent to sending a substantial portion of their income to support an inner city parish? Maybe the money from their sports program? How about if we implore Notre Dame University to fire their coach and dedicate his 20 plus Million dollar salary to missionary programs? I'm sorry, I find the archbishop's/cardinal's attempt to appear concerned and involved, laughable.
    He's the archbishop [[not a cardinal) of an archdiocese that needs all the help it can get. You sound like the kind of guy that wants to throw money at situations and everything will work out, well in the case of Detroit that would be wrong. Yes, thinking is always a good idea. We are thinking and we are doing. But ask the average Detroiter and you'll find they're praying too. Stop trying to hide the fact that you don't want this archbishop anywhere near helping and aiding the City, in any capacity. Stop bitching about Catholic schools leaving the city and going to the suburbs, that's old hat. The population that once supported the parish school, they moved, and so does the church. That doesn't mean in anyway that the church just simply quits the inner city. Boneventure, Cristo del Ray High come to mind, or do you not want to talk about the good the Church does for the people. Let's just talk about abuse and the Inquisition.

God forbid the archbishop, a native-son bishop at that, should even think to try to help is own archdiocese that is going through worst economic one of the upheavels since The Great Depression.

St. Anne, patroness of Detroit, I ask that you help the residents of Detroit as they go through these most trying times. Help them and pray for them. Amen.

I, too, think that St. Jude patron of seemingly hopeless cases would be an excellent patron saint for the City of Detroit. Through his intercession, may miracles have been realized. St. Jude Parish in Detroit is a beacon of light for the Eastside and has been for 70 years. The food pantry feeds many needy families in the surrounding area. If there was ever a saint for Detroit in these days, it is St. Jude.

Anyway, if truth be told, the catholic church was ambiguous about the Holocaust, if not actually complicit in it.
    Clearly you know nothing about history here Skippy, otherwise you'd know the Catholic Church was also a target of the Nazi's. Ask all the priests and clergy that were killed from Germany and Poland. Not to mention the Church actually helped save many Jews from the camps.

You choose to lump the whole organization as corrupt and abusive, by that measure all governments must be evil, since there is corruption there as well. You can't lump a whole organization as "bad" due to the sins of some.

The Catholic Church has and will continue to help millions of people around the world, thru charity work and provides food, medicine, building schools, running food pantries, etc. I bet your charity work pales in comparison.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; September-29-09 at 09:44 AM.

http://www.solanuscasey.org/canonization.shtml

I like the comments on St Anne, very good selection.
    Thank you for seconding my motion on St. Jude.

Is the Archbishop on the forum?

and no comments on the bad or good of the church,
    the discussion is Patron Saint.

Prayer does help!

Skippy here! Typical, fundamentalist, religious responses : you can't throw money at a problem [[put it in the basket) ; money doesn't solve the problem [[unless it's in our coffers) ; you can't spend money to feed people because it's finite [[put it into bricks and mortar - build an edifice). While you're asserting your moral superiority here, I'm curious what types of charitable work you guys do? I wonder if the archbishop/cardinal serves the poor on a day to day to basis? No, I'm not talking about as a bureaucrat or politician, I'm talking about at a neighborhood kitchen, at a neighborhood medical center. "The population that once supported the parish school, they moved, and so does the church". You hit that nail on the head. You make my points. The church moves on to where? To what? I would think a church would be where they're needed most? Huh? That might be [[sarcasm intended) in the inner cities and rural areas with their endemic poverty. I have no problem with praying. But after you're done praying - do something! What does the archbishop/cardinal being a native son have to do with anything? Does that confer a special power on the guy? Or does it, as I suspect, make you more proud of him because he's one of ours? He's on our 'home team'. I've no need to assert historic or religious credentials. You imply you're better educated than I. I doubt you're more educated or experienced. But, of course, you have 'faith', which trumps all. I have faith too. Just not in churches which are more interested in maintaining their treasuries and powers. Faith and spirituality are not peculiar to religious institutions, I think they're usually exclusive. And they certainly don't follow a single path.

I'm curious what types of charitable work you guys do?
    Ever hear of Caputchians Soup Kitchen? Also most church's in the city run food pantries, you have University of Detroit High School and Academy, which provides scholarships for inner city boys, Gesu School, Loyola High School,[[also provides scholarships for at risk youth) and countless homeless shelters. That's just off the top of my head.

What do you do to help Detroit out, in terms of charity?

Skippy here! Typical, fundamentalist, religious responses : you can't throw money at a problem [[put it in the basket) ; money doesn't solve the problem [[unless it's in our coffers) ; you can't spend money to feed people because it's finite [[put it into bricks and mortar - build an edifice). While you're asserting your moral superiority here, I'm curious what types of charitable work you guys do? I wonder if the archbishop/cardinal serves the poor on a day to day to basis? No, I'm not talking about as a bureaucrat or politician, I'm talking about at a neighborhood kitchen, at a neighborhood medical center. "The population that once supported the parish school, they moved, and so does the church". You hit that nail on the head. You make my points. The church moves on to where? To what? I would think a church would be where they're needed most? Huh? That might be [[sarcasm intended) in the inner cities and rural areas with their endemic poverty. I have no problem with praying. But after you're done praying - do something! What does the archbishop/cardinal being a native son have to do with anything? Does that confer a special power on the guy? Or does it, as I suspect, make you more proud of him because he's one of ours? He's on our 'home team'. I've no need to assert historic or religious credentials. You imply you're better educated than I. I doubt you're more educated or experienced. But, of course, you have 'faith', which trumps all. I have faith too. Just not in churches which are more interested in maintaining their treasuries and powers. Faith and spirituality are not peculiar to religious institutions, I think they're usually exclusive. And they certainly don't follow a single path.
    I'm just as Catholic as any European, but when you attack the church I grew up with and have an affinity for, you attack me. When a population moves, what is the church back in old neighborhood supposed to do? It cannot support itself with the 30 parishoners is has left, no one wants to see any parish close, but when that time comes so be it. There are enough parishes in the city to support the Catholic population there. Anyways, that's beside the point. I never said I was more educated than you. I could care less if your more educated than I, but when you attack the Archbishop for at least trying to help the archdiocese in need, I would have hoped most people said "Good, that's what we need, someone to turn to when the city is in trouble. Thank you." Don't talk about something you don't know. You don't know, and don't seem to care, what the archdiocese does good for its members and people of other faiths.

Capuchin Soup Kitchen and Mercy Education Project are great charities and orgs that reach into the inner city to help. How about the Seminary which works in cojuction to educate inner city kids at the nearby school.

So please, go back and keep on reading Jack Chick, it's not going to get you very far.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; September-29-09 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    I, too, think that St. Jude patron of seemingly hopeless cases would be an excellent patron saint for the City of Detroit. Through his intercession, may miracles have been realized. St. Jude Parish in Detroit is a beacon of light for the Eastside and has been for 70 years. The food pantry feeds many needy families in the surrounding area. If there was ever a saint for Detroit in these days, it is St. Jude.

Saint Jude came to mind for me too, not only for the reasons that CFG mentions, but also because he's made his presense know in Detroit in other ways. It was in Detroit that actor Danny Thomas, asking Saint Jude to intercede to God on his behalf, made his promise that was essentially the genesis of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital - a miracle worked by Saint Jude right in Detroit!

"...When Rose Marie was about to give birth to their first child, Margaret [[later Marlo), the Thomases were leading a precarious life with Danny trying to establish himself as an entertainer. He was torn between his dedication to his work and his responsibility to his wife and their new baby. Desperate, Danny sought relief in prayer. He knelt before the statue of St. Jude, the patron saint of the hopeless, and begged for a sign: should he or should he not remain in show business? Impulsively, Danny promised to erect a shrine to St. Jude if the saint would show Danny his way in life...."

Read the whole story here:

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index...000e2015acRCRD

I got the catholics all riled up. Ha! My opinions are my opinions. It's not likely you're going to convince me otherwise. I've been a recovering catholic for over a half century. I'm through with the catholic church's BS. In fact with all church's BS. You guys are funny - 'when you mess with my church you mess with me!' Ha, ha. I'm aware of most all of the services you mentioned, personally and first hand. I don't have to present a resume. Being the great catholics you are, what the hell have you done? Suffice it to say I do plenty more than most people, but not as much as I'd like. I do work at it regularly and continually. I certainly don't spend much time praying, I'd rather think. And work. Yes, I'm thinking of reading Jack Chick - if I can figure out who he is. Have you ever thought of serving god and not an archbishop, cardinal, or church?

I got the catholics all riled up. Ha! My opinions are my opinions. It's not likely you're going to convince me otherwise. I've been a recovering catholic for over a half century. I'm through with the catholic church's BS. In fact with all church's BS. You guys are funny - 'when you mess with my church you mess with me!' Ha, ha. I'm aware of most all of the services you mentioned, personally and first hand. I don't have to present a resume. Being the great catholics you are, what the hell have you done? Suffice it to say I do plenty more than most people, but not as much as I'd like. I do work at it regularly and continually. I certainly don't spend much time praying, I'd rather think. And work. Yes, I'm thinking of reading Jack Chick - if I can figure out who he is. Have you ever thought of serving god and not an archbishop, cardinal, or church?
    I just think your blowing this way of proportion. And your right, your opinions are your opinions. But they're more than that, they're disrespectful attacks against a man who is trying to help Catholic Detroiters find someone to look to when they have fallen onto troubled times. And I'm sorry you can't see that. I try to serve GOD everyday, I fall, like every man. I am not the perfect Catholic you try and set me up to be. Where you got the idea I served an archbishop/cardinal or church is beyond me. I serve God. I understand now that your personal hatred for the RCC is deep. Get over it and move on that's all I can say. Don't spew your hate filled words onto a thread that doesn't need it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast