Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit woman kills alleged purse snatcher.

September 25, 2009

Detroit woman kills alleged purse snatcher

By TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
    A 43-year-old woman shot and killed a suspected purse snatcher who confronted her at a northwest Detroit gas station this morning, according to police.
    Two men approached the Detroit woman at about 5:30 a.m. at the Schoolcraft and Southfield Mobil station, Detroit Police spokesman John Roach said. The woman is licensed to legally carry a gun for self-defense, he said.

"They didn't realize she has a CCW [[license), so she had a weapon of her own," Roach said. "She fired several rounds at the suspects and they fled."

The pair made off with the woman's purse. But about a half-hour later, a man with several gunshot wounds went to Sinai-Grace Hospital for treatment and died later this morning.

"At this point, we believe this is one of the individuals in the robbery," Roach said about the man who was shot. Investigators recovered the woman's purse and believe the person who accompanied the wounded man to the hospital may be his accomplice, Roach said.
    Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to call the Detroit Police Homicide Unit at 313-596-2260.

Not glad someone died, but glad it was the thief instead of the woman.

More of this means less of that.

now the key is to broadcast this on the local news like they run everything else into the ground...at least there is a lesson for someone that ther ARE CONSEQUENCES TO YOUR ACTIONS unlike if you are a Banker or an elected official...

Good riddance.

One less a$$hole to deal with.

I used to think that there were no bad people, only people whose actions were a result of their environment and upbringing. I would've considered this a tragedy that a life had to be lost in this manner. Now that I'm in my late 20s, I wish this would happen more often.

She needs to get to the range more often. Two crooks, two shots, no more crooks.

Instead, we have one dead crook, one woman who probably just had her weapon claimed as "evidence" by the cops, and one living crook who had a purse full of all the info he needs to take care of the lady who killed his pal..hope the cops are taking care of this lady or advised her to haul ass outta Dodge for a while..

Sad news. Used that gas station often because it was convenient on the way downtown. Is there still a medical office immediately to the east?

She was acted in self-defense, Good for her. The police can not charge her with murder of a thief. The thief has been awared destruction into hell for it had made a choice to steal.

I would need to know more about the sequence of events. If she fired during the robbery attempt, she's fine. If the robbery had already occured and they were fleeing when she fired, she may have a problem. Then there's the question of where the rest of the rounds went. [[Didn't happen in this case, but *what if* one of the stray rounds had hit someone else?)

The guy's friends are probably already lining up for teddy bears and silk screen R.I.P. shirts.

The bandits' lawyer is probably already filling out lawsuit papers.....

Sisters are doin' it for themselves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDQE4UMVhEQ

Retroit Guest

This is exactly what Detroit needs: more heroine and less heroin.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    This is exactly what Detroit needs: more heroine and less heroin.
    Amen to that.
    If criminals spent more time at the gun ranges, there'd be a LOT less robbery happening..they'd be scared shitless by the number of innocent looking folks who are packing these days.
    I've been shooting a hundred rounds a week or so for most of my adult life..the number of women and newbie guys has been increasing steadily every year, but it just exploded in the past year..LOTS of new folks in the "armed & dangerous" category here in the city..

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The bandits' lawyer is probably already filling out lawsuit papers.....
    Wouldn't doubt that at all. If she's collectable. Big if though.

Quote Originally Posted by Original63 View Post
    now the key is to broadcast this on the local news like they run everything else into the ground...at least there is a lesson for someone that there ARE CONSEQUENCES TO YOUR ACTIONS unlike if you are a Banker or an elected official...
    I agree. This story deserves front page coverage in the newspapers also.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Wouldn't doubt that at all. If she's collectable. Big if though.
    Michigan law prohibits lawsuits against those who legally defend themselves. To be a legal use of deadly force there must be a reasonable fear of death, great bodily harm or rape on the part of the user of such force. If, as noted above, the "shootees" were running away deadly force would not be justified.

stinkbug Guest

Nice shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Original63 View Post
    now the key is to broadcast this on the local news like they run everything else into the ground...at least there is a lesson for someone that ther ARE CONSEQUENCES TO YOUR ACTIONS unlike if you are a Banker or an elected official...
    I cannot say this hurts my feelings [[her killing him that is), it is sad but he took the risk. As far as the news is concerned it will probably be buried behind Michael Jackson, American Idol, and what not [[I did not catch the news today so correct me if I am wrong). I hope she shot him while it was in progress and if not I hope some lawyer does not take his case to get in the news as his family probably does not have money to pursue anything against her. And if they do I am even more satisfied with the results as he did not need her purse in the first place. Women with guns are hot!!! As long as they are not pointed at me of course.

Yep, if the "result of environment" thing was true then more would chose criminality. Too bad the man died, but more women are legally arming themselves so as to not be passive victims. The gun ranges are full of women learning about gun safety and use.
    Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    I used to think that there were no bad people, only people whose actions were a result of their environment and upbringing. I would've considered this a tragedy that a life had to be lost in this manner. Now that I'm in my late 20s, I wish this would happen more often.

Better know what you're doing before you draw that weapon and pull the trigger, you could expose yourself to a world of problems if you're not in the right. Of course, it's tought to think straight when you're in the middle of getting mugged.