Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Best, The Worst, Lets Cut To The Chase.....

Ok on this forum we have through the years talked about what areas of Detroit are the best, the worst, the most improved, the most declining etc.

Here is another one, what area is the SAFEST to live in ??

I ask this as an old friend of mine is CONSIDERING a promotion that would require a relocation to the Detroit area.

The position does not have a residency requirement, but they would like to live in the city and have been looking at homes in Boston Edison.
    The like the fact that in BE you can pay $30.00 per month for a private security service. Anyone have experience with this ??

HOWEVER they currently live in Boston [[near Symphony Hall) and are well aware that they are in for culture shock if they do this. At present they are used to having Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and 2 other supermarkets within walking distance, not to mention the T, and a busy urban area.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by krapug1 View Post
    Ok on this forum we have through the years talked about what areas of Detroit are the best, the worst, the most improved, the most declining etc.

Here is another one, what area is the SAFEST to live in ??

I ask this as an old friend of mine is CONSIDERING a promotion that would require a relocation to the Detroit area.

The position does not have a residency requirement, but they would like to live in the city and have been looking at homes in Boston Edison.
    The like the fact that in BE you can pay $30.00 per month for a private security service. Anyone have experience with this ??

HOWEVER they currently live in Boston [[near Symphony Hall) and are well aware that they are in for culture shock if they do this. At present they are used to having Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and 2 other supermarkets within walking distance, not to mention the T, and a busy urban area.

Ken
    Boston Blvd area going west towards 12th street to14th, Linwood out to Dexter has really gone downhill last few years. I can't believe how bad it's become lately. It's a small cut above squalor.

Greetings--

Think about East English Village on Detroit's eastside. The neighborhood is safe, friendly and quite walkable to Grosse Pointe village where one has access to Trader Joe's, Starbucks, Borders, Kroger and many other stores. Due to the "housing crisis" there are some incredible buys in the neighborhood.

There is a FREE home tour coming up on Sunday October 11th from 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. A number of homes and gardens will be featured. Clink on the link for info on this tour and the neighborhood.

http://www.eastenglishvillage.org/

Later!

The crime rate in the central business district is very low based on a study prepared by Wayne Sate Univ. See link below.

Reality v. Perceptions: Analysis of 2007 Crime and Safety in Downtown Detroit
    http://www.tedconline.com/uploads/Cr...afetyStudy2007[1].pdf

I would second the sentiments about East English Village, as it's one of the more beautiful areas, and shopping is quite close.

A few more areas to consider are both Palmer Woods and Sherwood Forest which have great housing stock, private security patrols, safe, very walkable and close to the shops in RO and Ferndale.

If your friends are coming from Boston they will inevitably be disappointed by Detroit's streetlife and "walkability." That really isn't a knock on Detroit per se, but a reflection of the fact that midwestern cities were just built differently and in a different time than eastern ones, and with the exception of Chicago most of them developed without the concentrated urbanism of those older eastern cities.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they would probably be happiest in a neighborhood closer to the central city. Maybe Woodbridge, something midtownish or downtown [[better if apartments are acceptable to them), or even Lafayette Park.

I would vote for Woodbridge. I like the idea of living by the university. All the students add an eclectic and cultural feel to the area.

Woodbridge is nice, and certainly safer than most areas, but it is not the safest. Car breakins and muggings happen occaisonally. And services like an abundance of bars and stores are lacking... there is only the Dollar Store, Forest Liquor, Trumbull Mkt [[hardly a market), and Woodbridge Pub.

Corktown is pretty safe, especially north of Porter, south of Michigan Ave, east of Rosa Parks and west of the Lodge. And you have a huge number of bars to go to, Honeybee Mkt is right down the way, friendly neighborhood stores, etc. And you're hardly a mile from downtown. A quick jaunt on the bike or even a walk will take you to Campus Martius or the riverfront.

How does Indian Village stack up in regards to safeness?

Retroit Guest

They must not have lowly crimes like car theft on that spot crime site? Like the theft of my friend's car sometime before 11 p.m. in front of Channel 4 on Sept. 4, the first night of Jazz Fest. Don't park a '90s, easily stolen car on Lafayette at night...unless you're directly in front of the Fort Shelby bellboys.

The southern end of East English Village is noticably nicer and cleaner than the more northern sections.Must be the shadow cast by Grosse Pointe having an effect .Warren Avenue and,especially,Harper are much dumpier looking than Mack Avenue now.Those two streets have declined rapidly.What a shame.It was a VERY nice,safe,area when I was growing up there in the 50s and 60s.You could walk or bike anywhere there then.Today,not so much.