Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Peregrine Falcons On Camera Again Nesting On Building

From today's Detroit News: Falcons on camera again nesting on building
    Two peregrine falcons that nested atop the Macomb County Building in downtown Mount Clemens last year are back this spring with a new nest on the building's 11th floor, and county officials have reinstalled their Web cam to watch their progress. The nest has three eggs that should hatch by late April or early May. The falcons, which county officials have named Nick and Hathor, had three chicks last year. To view the birds, go to www.macombcountymi.gov/peregrine/index.htm.
    The webcam [[direct link) isn't working for me at the moment.

Awww - how neat. Thanks for the link Jimaz

what magnificent creatures. worth getting rid of DDT, aren't they? now if only a bald eagle pair would take up semi-permanent residence on Belle Isle

There's some Peregrine nests in Kensington Metropark.

I worked in the Guardian Bldg when peregrines nested on the roof. That was pre-internet days, so there was a closed circuit TV setup in the lobby. It was quite a treat to watch the nestlings, and have one light on the window sill outside my office before zeroing in on an unwary pigeon.

Default Falconcam Still Inop?

You're most welcome, eriedearie.

Can anyone get the webcam image? In the webpage source code I found what looks like an even more direct link: http://209.131.7.179/home/JViewer.html. 209.131.7.179 is responding to pings normally.

Oh! This link is working for me now. Yay!

ccbatson Guest

Very cool...we sometimes see hawks and a rare falcon out in the burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    There's some Peregrine nests in Kensington Metropark.
    Peregrines at Kensington? This would be very cool. Where at Kensington? Maybe you are thinking of osprey?

Thanks for posting that, Jimaz. Can't wait to see the babys. Birds of prey are awesome to behold. A couple months ago, a hawk flew about 10 feet over my head and lit on the sign in front of the food store at Grand River and Beech. Scared the heck outta me. Wowwee, to see him up close was so cool.

There are/were a pair of nesting hawks in Oakview Cemetary at Main and Rochester, Royal Oak. Haven't seen them grab a squirrel yet, dang it. It's a nice quiet place to sit and have lunch. There are foxes in there too.

Yeah, the official link at http://www.macombcountymi.gov/peregrine/webcamJ.html is still bellyup. http://209.131.7.179/home/JViewer.html works great though during daylight hours. Heh.

Happy to help.

I just got to see a little bit of action of her moving around - I want to go up there and clean that camera lens!

Thanks for the video Alfie1a.

242 miles per hour! Those are fast birds!

hey you guyz- any chance this is a falcon ?

http://detroitfunk.com/?p=1606

It looks very similar to this falcon. Note the tail shape and the darker wingtips.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post

Looks like a Red-tailed hawk. Hawks, accipiters, and falcons have different silhouettes. A fine bird, dutifully helping to keep the rodent population in check!

Yeah, I think hes a big ol hawk too - but he has the dark marks at the edge of his wing, and also very similar head markings. Looks close to a falcon - I really wish I had a big lens with me that day.

That one lives in the fields around Jane Cooper School in the former St Cyril hood. Nothing but prairie for him to hunt - great place for such an animal.

No tall anything for a falcon to dive bomb from in that area though, and they really love being way up there.

Hmmm... Well HERES a red tailed hawk silhouette - that doesnt match my bird at all. To dark, too much pattern, the fingers are too prominent. My bird is distinctly lighter in the underwing and belly area with no striped patterned feathers underneath. The head on my bird is lighter, with the sort of black cap with "sideburns" like a falcon.

This may just warrant another trip out to try to see this bird again.

Thought I'd take a look-see and check on how mom is making out on this gloomy, rainy day. I can barely see her, but she's right there on the job!

I really wish that window was clean!

Been watching her off and on for a little while. She's kinda active with moving around and repositioning herself.

Plus, I just wanted to bump this up too!

They've hatched! I think I see 3 heads!

This morning's post from Peregrine Falcon Volunteer Barb Baldinger:

We have hatching this morning in Mt. Clemens! So far at least one baby has hatched at the Macomb County Building. The window is still dirty, since we did not want to disturb incubation, but you can easily see the movement of a white fuzzy baby during nest exchange and feeding. Webcam link:

http://www.macombcountymi.gov/peregrine/webcamJ.html

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post

Turkey Vulture?

I got to see the changing of the guard and feeding! Tuned in just as the daddy zoomed in for feeding duty and watched the mom fly away. I watched while daddy fed the chicks - I'm pretty sure I still see 3 little heads. And pretty sure that was the daddy! He kept looking around and waiting for mommy to come back. You know how nervous new dads are with new babies?

Anyway, the mom flew in - and kept feeding her babies, and the dad took took off.

This is so cool!

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    Turkey Vulture?
    Red-tailed hawk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast