Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Produce Terminals and Cold Storage of South Detroit

Any Information on the Produce Terminals and Cold Storage Facilities, Preferably south of Downtown, like the Detroit Union Produce Terminal and the 12th st. terminal.
    Also Seems to Be a lot of cold storage facilities Between Bagley st. and Lafayette St. with Rosa Parks [[12th st.) to the east and the bridge. Just Looking for Information and Alil History.

Alil History
    What is that??

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalHalf View Post
    Any Information on the Produce Terminals and Cold Storage Facilities, Preferably south of Downtown, like the Detroit Union Produce Terminal and the 12th st. terminal.
    Also Seems to Be a lot of cold storage facilities Between Bagley st. and Lafayette St. with Rosa Parks [[12th st.) to the east and the bridge. Just Looking for Information and Alil History.
    They Are Produce Terminals Where growers Ship their Produce to be Taken Off Trains and Loaded Onto trucks To Be Taken to Stores. The Cold Storage facilities Are Buildings Where People can Store Stuff that Doesn't Need to be kept at A Constant Temperature.

There Are a Lot of them Between Bagley Street and Lafayette, and Rosa Parks and the Ambassador Bridge.

Attachment 3247
    culma/wsu

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    What is that??
    Mystical half obviously means "a lil" [[a little).

EastSider, I'm pretty sure mystical half knows what the facilities were used for they just want to know history on the buildings.

Sorry I can't help you out there, but I love doing research so I will see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    Mystical half obviously means "a lil" [[a little).

EastSider, I'm pretty sure mystical half knows what the facilities were used for they just want to know history on the buildings.

Sorry I can't help you out there, but I love doing research so I will see what I can find.
    It wasn't obvious or I wouldn't have asked.

thanks detroitzack

You can see the dozens upon dozens of refrigerator train cars in the yard behind the complex in that B&W photo above. This yard was known as the "Garden Yard," as it is where all the cars carrying salad ingredients were mixed up! Entire trains of refrigerator cars would come in to be unloaded here. The yard between Harbough and West End is still sometimes referred to as the Garden Yard today. From Sanborn Maps, I believe the building close to Fort St. is the A Building, and the south building is the B Building.

Nowadays, the Garden Yard is pretty much all ripped up. Both the A&B Buildings still have a railroad spur [[both located between the two buildings), though most of the products that come and go travel by truck now. Still, CSX switches the plant with their Boat Yard Line switcher when a car needs to be dropped off or picked up. Lately, I haven't seen any fridge cars in the plant, however. This thread might be able to provide some additional information: http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12140

Check it out!

Attachment 3252
    loc

Another view of the Detroit Produce Terminal. Photo from the Library of Congress, for some reason it was under landscape architecture.
    Last edited by Hornwrecker; September-24-09 at 08:42 PM. Reason: ammending

nice pic off the Produce Terminal, nice background pic of the old Fleetwood Factory also. Thanks