Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Corktown Vs. East English Village

My boyfriend and I are currently renting in Corktown, and we hopefully will be buying our first place next year [[if all goes as planned).
    When we moved into Corktown, I was sold on the idea of buying our first place there. There seem to be a lot of families in corktown, and a private school close by [[children are in 5 year plan.. haha). I feel very safe in Corktown, and have no reservations walking around by myself.

Well, with all of the talk of EEV on the forums I decided to check it out today on my way to work [[I work in GPF). I LOVED IT. I fell in love with many of the houses. I checked out the website for the HOA and it seems like a great place to start a family.

What do you think? It seems like I get alot more house in EEV. Also , It seems like there are a lot more options in EEV compared to Corktown. Is there much crime in EEV? Are there a lot of young families in EEV?

What do you guys think? Where should we start our family?

I have lived in both places, currently living in Woodbridge. I think both are viable places but I had more fun and built stronger relationships with my Corktown neighbors.

Default Corktown is a smarter investment choice ...

I like both neighborhoods alot, but from a financial standpoint, Corktown is the safer bet. Corktown prices have not dropped significantly, if at all, during the housing crisis. And I don't think I've seen a single foreclosure in the neighborhood. I'm not an economist, but it looks like supply and demand _ Corktown is relatively small. East English Village is not. And maybe there is some social engineering going on --- the folks who CHOOSE to live in Corktown, for whatever reason, will not take on crazy debt for their housing. Also on the short-list of why Corktown would be on my list of places to be would be: 1. Truly walkable to bars and restaurants. 2. Closer to downtown, you can ride ur bike to a Tigers game. 3. The place is only going to improve.

The one negative would be uncertainty over Tiger Stadium

East English Village has great brick homes at a cheap price. But it sounds like you are looking for a neighborhood, not just a beautiful brick house. A friend lived in EEV several years ago, and had problems with crime. Two examples: Teenaged neighbor would window peak regularly. Told the mother, who issued racial insults. Called the police three times, with no results.
    Thought she heard ice falling from the porch next door one night. In the morning, she noticed the front door of the home propped open, and stove, fridge, and storm door missing. A rigged ramp remained, leading from the front door. That home had been empty for less than a week.
    That was nearly ten years ago. I would look more toward Corktown.

The folks at O'Connor real estate in Corktown always have some interesting places for sale in the neighborhood.

I currently live in EEV and have been there for nearly 7 years now. Yes, EEV like many other neighborhoods in Detroit and the surrounding suburbs, has issues but it also has more of a "neighborhood feel" than any other.

The community group is very strong and would enjoy having you on board!

Please feel free to attend one of our meetings. Including one this Thursday evening at Calvin Presbyterian Church on Cadieux and 94. The meeting starts at 7:30 but there is a light supper starting at 7:00

Default Eev

My wife and I currently live in EEV/MS and love it. Great Neighbors, excellent houses, lots of places to go and things to do. We are actually selling our house [[I'm out of projects/updates to do to the house) and are still planning on living in the area. Check it out if you want @ http://3447Courville.com. I also hang out a lot in Corktown, but would still recommend the far east side over most places in the city.

nice job steve. you're really selling to move onto another project? if so, that's impressive. [i think my current house will be my first and last rehab.] good luck with selling. although i haven't had the best experience with your listing agent...

2blocksaway Guest

Nice looking house but good luck getting half of your asking price.

If your thinking of having a family in the not so distant future, check out some of the great deals to be found in the Grosse Pointes. Great neighborhoods and great schools. Some of the homes in EEV that are for sale are more than some homes in Grosse Pointe. Check it out if your thinking of having a family.

LodgeDodger Guest

Thesteve, your home is lovely. Nice work.

Steve,
    You did a great job on your house. If we were ready to buy now, we would be interested.
    Can anyone tell me the demographics of EEV? Young families? Older Couples? Black, White, ect.
    I have had mixed experiences being the only white girl on the block before. I grew up [[before we moved to the suburbs) the only white kid on my street, it was not always that easy for me and my parents. This was 25 years ago, hopefully things are different now. I was the only white girl on the street in Los Angeles, but I lived in a Latin neighborhood, and most people didn't speak english. Ideally I would want to live somewhere that is well mixed, old, young, white, black. ect.

Also, what are the boundaries of EEV? What streets are the best to look at?

Thanks!!!

Also, I am in an interracial relationship, Is EEV liberal?

sorry for all the questions!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cycledetroit View Post
    Steve,
    You did a great job on your house. If we were ready to buy now, we would be interested.
    Can anyone tell me the demographics of EEV? Young families? Older Couples? Black, White, ect.
    I have had mixed experiences being the only white girl on the block before. I grew up [[before we moved to the suburbs) the only white kid on my street, it was not always that easy for me and my parents. This was 25 years ago, hopefully things are different now. I was the only white girl on the street in Los Angeles, but I lived in a Latin neighborhood, and most people didn't speak english. Ideally I would want to live somewhere that is well mixed, old, young, white, black. ect.

Also, what are the boundaries of EEV? What streets are the best to look at?

Thanks!!!

Also, I am in an interracial relationship, Is EEV liberal?

sorry for all the questions!
    The boundaries of EEV are Outer Drive/Whittier, Harper, Cadieux, and Mack. Thesteve's house on Courville is west of Outer Drive [[technically Morningside).

It's always struck me as a fairly heterogeneous area, at least by Detroit standards. Plenty of old people, young people, black, white, etc. The people I know who live there all seem pretty nice.

It sounds like most of your questions could best be answered by renting there for a while and seeing how well your lifestyle fits with what it has to offer. Nothing anyone can tell you about it on the Internet is going to tell you whether it's a good place for you.

Bearinabox got it pretty good. The area has a good mix to it. A lot of age and black/white diversity, pretty "liberal" area; most people are just happy to have neighbors that are working, taking care of their house, and just nice people in general, which seem to be hard to find in these times. My block is very diverse. Young black family next door with 4 kids, older white couple across the street who have their grandkids all summer long, white collar black fanily across the street with 2 high school boys at cass tech, very old white couple 2 doors down, young white couple [[she teaches at DPS) 3 doors down with a very curious young 5-year-old, etc. As for location, the closer to Mack the better [[patrolled very heavily by DPD and Grosse Pointe Cops - never speed on Mack!), and I would also say the closer to Outer Drive the better.

Greetings-- I've lived in EEV a little over 20-years with no problems. I've seen families come and go mostly because of the Detroit School situation. I highly recommend living here, we have a strong, active community organization, we get our streets plowed, code violations are enforced and crime is minimal. The neighborhood is integrated and the housing stock is solid, mostly brick built in the 20s, 30s and 40s. You get a lot of house for $$$, especially now, with the economy the way it is.

Tough choice, both have pros and cons. I also recommend sticking to the area bounded by Cadieux & Outer Drive, Mack and Warren. It's very walkable. Neighbors are helpful and friendly. Very strong neighborhood group and the tax incentive can't be beat. It is true that EEV has been hit by the foreclosure crisis but it is still very desirable. Last year we had thirteen vacant homes and all have sold. Everyone who bought made some major home improvements. Crime is minimal.

Cons are schools.

Other pros. As a target neighborhood inniative area our services are very good. Neighbors are diverse, young /old, white /black, Hispanic, Japanese, Eastern Indian and gays. That's my block [[45 homes). I have been in the area since 1965 and have seen it's life cycles, it's poised to cycle back to young families once again. Lots of empty nesters who raised there kids here and are contemplating condos etc.

Our warren business district is getting a bit shabby but we have a pile of grant money for facade improvements so we look forward to a major upgrade soon. The meeting is tonight and we will be there. Last Saturday, we had a egg hunt for the kids, Xmas parties, large summer area wide block party, smaller block parties, an area wide garage sale and active garden club to name a few activities.

Proximity to Downtown is great but if you work in GPF proximity to work is great too.

I lived in Corktown [[rented) for a while and ended up in EEV when I was ready to buy and couldn't find anything in Corktown. I like both neighborhoods, but I'd pick EEV if you're looking for a more family-friendly spot. EEV houses seem to be more solidly built and interesting, and most have big yards. Either way, be ready to send your kids to private school, unless Bob Bobb gets things fixed in the next few years.

I was told that because I work in GPF, that my kids can attend Grosse Pointe Schools. Is there any truth to this??? We don't plan on having kids for at least 5 years. Maybe DPS will get it together.

Thank you, Eastdetroit48224. I wasn't joking, I would not have made the meeting if you hadn't posted. I have missed the last three meetings because I didn't get my newsletter in time. I am not organized on that level.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to chat because I made a beeline for the lady with the petition for reduced water rates for seniors, people on Medicaid and low income residents. This reduction was passed into law by council in 2006 and has never been implimented. Alas, she had no info and was passing the petition for someone else. We seem to have become involved in senior advocacy programs, not quite sure how.

For people interested in EEV., I am going to follow our meeting agenda to give people a flavor of our neighborhood and its programs:

Recycle programs: Current Monthly Recycling Program. Starting in July, weekly "curbside " recycling will be added as part of a pilot program.

We have paid and volunteer security prorams as well as snow removal for heavy snows

Farmers Market to run from June13 to September 17th on Saturdays. A Pumpkin Fest will be held at the Farmers Market location on Halloween

Area wide Garage Sale: June 13 -14th

Area clean ups already scheduled: April 25th & May 18th with more to come

Tree plantings [[all dead street scape Ash trees already removed) May 16th in conjunction with Greening of Detroit. This is an on going project.

Ordinance violations: 101 tickets issued for failure to remove Courville Containers within 24 hours. Police have worked closely with our board to remove inoperable vehicles off the streets and city officials have and are ticketing homes with serious exterior defects.

Current Crime: Four minor break ins on one street, most likely teens. Three brick throwings through windows, same street / malicious distruction. Same teens???

Worthy of note was the no show by Alberta Tinsley-Talabi at our meeting. She was the scheduled speaker.